Forum Index > Trip Reports > Red Top Mountain - XC Ski - 4.17.2011
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostMon Apr 18, 2011 12:03 pm 
Headed east again in search of sunshine. From Exit 85 (Cle Elum) on I-90... drive WA-970 E for ~10.5 miles... merge with US-97 N and continue for 6.7 miles (eighth of a mile beyond the Mineral Springs Restaurant) and turn left on to FS 9738... and drive as far as you can until stopped by snow... which was .7 miles today. Denali Girl and I skied FS 9738 for ~2.3 miles (actually Denali Girl ditched her skis after the first mile and started hiking)... then used FS 9702 for the last 5 miles to the Red Top Parking area. We did have to remove our skis a time or two in the first mile due to patchy snow conditions on FS 9738... but the last 6 miles to the Red Top parking area was continuous snow. When I reached the parking area I could hear people coming down from the summit... which turned out to be a group of nwhikers... Middle E, Sadie's Driver, Raising3hikers, Opus, dicey, BarbE, Snowdog and JimK... with 4-legged friends Gus and Izzy. The group reported icy and very cold conditions on the summit, making for an easy decision to skip the summit. dicey opted to ski down the road with me while the others returned via their up-and-down ridge route. 14.5 miles roundtrip, gaining ~2240 feet of elevation. Map and photos of our XC ski trip to Red Top Mountain. ..

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostMon Apr 18, 2011 3:18 pm 
Thanks for the company on the way down. I don't think I've ever been offered a beer AND a chair in the sun at the end of a trip! up.gif cool.gif

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message