Forum Index > Trip Reports > Devils Mountain (Skagit County Road Hike) 4/18/11
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostMon Apr 18, 2011 10:28 pm 
With a bit of approach beta from Redwic, I decided to go see what I could see on Devil Mountain. Devil Mountain is located just east of I-5 between the Conway and Mount Vernon exits in Skagit County, WA. That stretch of highway has flat farming fields on the west side, but the east side is a long ridge of peaks and valleys, often with dramatic clouds hanging around nearby. For me, that means its close to home and something I see frequently, but had never explored. The entire route is on gravel logging roads and at the summit sits quite a few communication towers (or whatever other purposes they serve). The only scary part of the trip is the first quarter mile where there are a few side 'roads' with a lot of garbage/debris laying around. Lots of stuff that makes it seem like they are/were related to illegal activities of one kind or another. uhoh.gif It's a mess, but it also appears to be private property so... just keep movin. I'll spare you the details, but I followed a couple side spurs for a short distance and thought about heading down to a nearby lake, but decided to save it for another day (if I ever bother to go back). Despite it being April 18th, the trek started in partly sunny conditions, then progressed to light rain, light snow, heavy snow, was caked with snow from head to foot and then back to rain and sun. Views of Big Lake and the Big Lake community exist, as were views west to the Puget Sound. My views of Devil Lake and high points beyond existed one minute, but they suddenly and quickly turned into ghosts as the snow came on fast and strong. Saw two deer, separately. Both were 'bounding' away when they sensed me (before I sensed them). Could have made great pics but I wasn't ready (too busy trying to keep the camera dry). A fun backyard outing, but far from a 'favorite' destination. Pics:
Puget Sound from route to Devil Mtn
Puget Sound from route to Devil Mtn
Puget Sound full digital zoom
Puget Sound full digital zoom
Devil Mtn High Point
Devil Mtn High Point
Just before the blizzard
Just before the blizzard
Devil Lake
Devil Lake
Coming on even stronger
Coming on even stronger
Snowing!
Snowing!
Snowing on the summit
Snowing on the summit
Fresh Snow 4-18-11
Fresh Snow 4-18-11
My Round Trip was just over 6 miles, but that included some side road exploring. One Way, gate to summit is about 2.5 miles. Starting elevation is about 745, summit is about 1,723, so it's about 1,000 feet of net gain. Once back at the car, I decided to go try to find a mine on the west side of this range that shows on the Topo Maps. Separate TR for that coming shortly: "Scott Mountain Mine" A more detailed report and pics for both destinations will go onto my blog, but probably not for a week or so. I'll add a link later. ~E

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Apr 18, 2011 11:30 pm 
Elvis wrote:
Devil Mtn High Point
Devil Mtn High Point
Ain't that puuurdy! winksmile.gif

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostTue Apr 19, 2011 5:29 am 
Yeah, it is not the most exciting place in the region to you, but at least it is not far away, either. Not one to waste a long time driving to, as I once discovered.

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.