Forum Index > Trip Reports > Laps on Persis (5464’) via West Ridge, April 20, 2011
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
honey badger

honey badger
PostMon Apr 25, 2011 6:21 pm 
Persis Peak (5464’) 10 T 661145 5259636 Crazy skinning up the west ridge trail and ski laps on West Persis April 20, 2011 dicey & fwb
Weather – Sun & spring warm, no wind, temps 30’s. Clear sun skies change after lunch to clouds. Celestral - Sunrise 6:09a, sunset 20:01, moonrise 11:56a, moonset7:32a 2 days from full moon Short of it One day weather window and low snow level. Drove FSRD6200 to FSRD6220 and park at c1880’. Skinned up the west side of Persis. Lunch on top with fantastic views. Warming snow dictated turning back. Skied laps on West Persis (Peak 5017’). And back down west ridge trail. You know the routine, for details you have to suffer through my rambling… The plan… Not much a plan, but a background story. After five days on trips, Tom called about heading into the Enchantments. I was tired and needed a rest day. Bummer since I was already at Eightmile CG. I figured take a day to rest then catch up with them. Looking at the weather forecast I was spooked by the temps with night windchill down to -5F. Ah, Wednesday eve would warmer. Then the forecast changed again, and again. More windchills below 0F. Forecast for the weekend looked promising and a big trip planned. Wednesday forecast changed to the best day of the week with sunshine. Why so much writing on forecasts? Well, the forecasting (avy/weather) play a key roll in trip planning. Okay, back to the story. Dicey sent a TM, “…I could be talked into skiing something like Persis on Wed”. Well, doesn’t take much for me to go skiing, so plan was on. Besides that, how many years have I driven by Index and Persis and wanted to check it out. Getting going On the way to work mid February I got a call that training was cancelled due to rain. Was passing through Zeek’s Int’l Raceway and made a quick decision to take the old Westie for a cruise to check out the roads to Index and Persis. Turned off in the dark onto FSRD6200 (just past “Split Rock”, where the road goes back to one lane). Much wandering around on every road open in the rain and mud. Was more interesting when the cloud fogged out and driving down those roads seeing only 50-100’. Back to April. Morning sunshine and cold as we turned right onto FSRD6200. 3.5m and past the new cuts. Winding up steeply then left on FSRD6220. We hit snow at c1750 and stopped at c1880’ in the shade and about 4” firm snow. Where’s the TH Leaving the car at 7:40a the road became bare then deeper snow at a right switchback. From here we donned skis having a mellow peaceful skin up the gentle sloping road .6m to a left turn on the next road (c2390). In the shade another .2m and at c2500 the open flat area with logging debris piled both sides.
The log debris opening
The log debris opening
I’d been up here in the dark wet February. A slight down and direct ahead a gulley with the road veering right (.9m, c2500). The map showed the road taking about .8m to go around to the same point the gulley started at. A few inches of snow so we did a creative skinning up the firm snow through tight alder, over water and rocks and a little steep pitch to regain the road. The “shortcut” took less than 25min landing us on the road at c2870 (8:37a).
shortcut gulley fun
shortcut gulley fun
top of the gulley
top of the gulley
So the question… Where’s the TH? It’d been a while for Dicey. Long enough for her to forget the steepness (LOL). To the left (northish and downhill) covered in snow looked like it. Steep up and a tunnel in the short new growth trees.
trail up a treed tunnel
trail up a treed tunnel
Duck, grab, twist, kick, repeat We carried skis up about 50’ then donned them again. Crazy… very steep and firm snow. Amazing the skins gripped. And the foot or so of snow allowed for some “creative” ascending. Soon enough the trees opened, or should I say overhead height trees changed to waist high.
Crazy people
Crazy people
We could follow the trail, at the buttress (1.3m, c3410, 9:38) we carried the skis up 20’ of steep then again skinned up into tall large widely spaced trees.
Easier going?
Easier going?
Scratch, duck and twist we were into an open snow covered boulder field at c3980. Sun brightly illuminating great views. Logged nature below and north snow covered peaks –The loop area with Pilchuck Ridge left all the way to Hwy 2 peaks of Baring and Grotto to the far right. And that noise. A ring, whine… must be the logging. It kept repeating…
Mt Pilchuck Ridge
Mt Pilchuck Ridge
a truck and the noise makers
a truck and the noise makers
A deep breath, all easy now Now wide open skinning, large trees, views, another open area, north ridge of the west summit views and started a traverse under the west peak at c4650 (1.9m, 11:10a).
animal tracks
animal tracks
buds
buds
Love the winter and sunlight patterns
Love the winter and sunlight patterns
Even easier skinning
Even easier skinning
dicey thinking of the skiing down
dicey thinking of the skiing down
More trees as we traverse
More trees as we traverse
We passed a wide gulley ever so inviting to ski direct from the summit of the west summit (5017’).
Plenty of snow
Plenty of snow
Happy to be in the mountains
Happy to be in the mountains
First views of Persis
First views of Persis
fluting on north wall of Persis
fluting on north wall of Persis
And hit a point above the saddle between the west and main summit, stopping to take in the stunning views of the north face of Index and Persis. Mellow on the south and breathtaking stunning on the north. A little more large tree action and we crossed the flat of tarns. A gentle up slightly right then left to upper tarns (2.6m, c5215’, 12:15p).
And even more snow covered trees
And even more snow covered trees
The lower tarn area
The lower tarn area
Taking in easy stopping often to take in the views and suffering considerable shutter delay. In the summer it is dodge the trees up. Now the deep snow allowed a wide open gentle pitch to the right or trees on the left. Liking the more adventurous route we wove up amongst the left trees. I couldn’t get myself to mar the beauty of the unscathed snow field.
there be wind one time up here
there be wind one time up here
views SE
views SE
looking up to the summit from the
looking up to the summit from the
looking back at the upper tarnsupper tarns
looking back at the upper tarnsupper tarns
through the trees
through the trees
and still having a good day
and still having a good day
Summit or summits The gentle pitch flattened to the broad summit with the instant drop on the north (2.8m, 5464’, 12:35p).
east side view of Index
east side view of Index
We didn’t even get close to the edge. Great enough view looking east to Index. A good lunch spot among the rime covered tree tops slightly east. We ate while the sun baked us.
touring among the Rimed trees
touring among the Rimed trees
Looking around I could see the attraction to this area. So close to home, short hike up and absolutely stunning scenery. And the views! Can’t be expressed.
Gunn and Merchant
Gunn and Merchant
Index
Index
Main Index summit north wall
Main Index summit north wall
Ridge to Persindex
Ridge to Persindex
clouds came in
clouds came in
While we ate clouds began building. Feathery changing to puffy and skies all around turning from blue to grays. The warm sun heating the snow. Looking east to Pers-index and the amount of snow, temptation pulled. It’d taken longer than expected to ascend. Compiled with the warming snow and potential avy issues we decided this was as far as we’d go. Hmm, would be a short day. Oh, remember that gulley? We could take laps…
Baring and Grotto
Baring and Grotto
Peak 5017 to the west
Peak 5017 to the west
Payoff - Skinless in the sun Taking our time we peeled skins, last looks around and skied off back the way we came taking turns videoing. The clouds dulled the visibility and at the tarn I found a tall berm at a good clip. LOL… splat. Past both levels of tarns and at the west saddle we skinned 160’ up to the summit of Peak 5017’ (3.6m, 2:15p) Yeah, more views…
looking down on Highway 2 east
looking down on Highway 2 east
close up of the town of Index
close up of the town of Index
another view of Merchant, Gunn, Baring and Grotto
another view of Merchant, Gunn, Baring and Grotto
Another view or Persis and Index
Another view or Persis and Index
Peeled skins then the payoff of sweet skiing down a field, through a choke gap in the trees and another field (previous gulley). Veered right and through a thin short tree section to another open field of sweetness. Finally stopping at c4470 all smiles. It was only 2:30, so early and the sun was back. Didn’t take more than a look to slap the skins on and B-line to the 5017’ summit again. Amazing the energy when the payoff is so sweet. Again down the fields of spring corn. Dipping into the woods for powder and forgetting to stop higher up landing again at the bottom of the openings (c4500’).
More snow scenery
More snow scenery
Back to the Ridge The snow was changing from the first run, so we traversed back to the ridge. Too low was a pain across the top of steep avy prone gulleys. We should have taken the effort to ascend 100’ or so for an easy traverse.
Traversing back to the ridge
Traversing back to the ridge
At 4.6m, c4400, 3:41p) we were at the top of the open ridge and skiing diagonaling right, then trees then open again stopping in the trees above the buttress pulling the skis off at c3560’, 4:15.
the lower route
the lower route
under the buttress
under the buttress
Skis on back we descended, saving postholes for each other. In my mind the whole way was, “we came up this? Are we crazy”? Out the tunnels, down the steep and we were on the road looking down the gulley (5.3m, 4:40p, c2990’).
back through the tunnel to the road
back through the tunnel to the road
Roads and sunshine The gulley was not so inviting with so little snow and it being wet now. We slogged uphill on the road forever, then a slow slog down the soft wet and thick covered road. Not sure if we saved time on the road getting to the bottom of the gulley in .7m at 5:05p (6m, c2475). The wet thick snow down low was making the going slow. A little uphill to the log debris clearing and then a gentle glide in the ever thinning snow down road 6220.
Bye... the flat area you can get to in summer
Bye... the flat area you can get to in summer
Some places in the sun now melted bare. Our up tracks straight on both sides. An easy left to not push through the thinning snow and stopping only 20’ from the car (6.9m, c1880, 5:25p). A Fitting ending A warm and rewarding trip. Views ,skiing and two Hop Czars waiting. An easy drive to the highway compared to my February outing. Now each time I drive by I’ll have a picture of what is up behind those dramatic cliffs… amazing beauty
Nice cold Hop Czars
Nice cold Hop Czars
BTW, that’s how I drive without the beer
An interesting ski tour, good skiing, perfect weather window, gorgeous scenery and good times in the mountains with a great partner. Happy Trails! fwb Stats: In: 2.9m, 4h58m, 3570'ascent Out: 4.0m, 3h57min, 667'ascent TT: 6.9m, 10h29min, 4237’ ascent

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostMon Apr 25, 2011 6:59 pm 
Cool up.gif

ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostMon Apr 25, 2011 8:34 pm 
fwb wrote:
A warm and rewarding trip. Views ,skiing and two Hop Czars waiting.
Nice cold Hop Czars
Nice cold Hop Czars
Where are the chairs??

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Apr 25, 2011 9:42 pm 
Nice report. "Interesting" ski for sure wink.gif . It's great that you did it so I don't have to hockeygrin.gif . Looks like it was pretty and decent skiing up high.

iron

iron
PostMon Apr 25, 2011 11:04 pm 
Buds
Buds
i dig it
yes. this is a true statement.

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostTue Apr 26, 2011 12:25 am 
Nice job, that's a very special area. If we run into each other again, I'll have to tell you about the skiing in the "basin" I hope you jump on board when the road is going to be locked up again. It's coming soon. down.gif

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostTue Apr 26, 2011 9:58 am 
Uh oh! I didn't know they were closing this road again, bummer! frown.gif Some pretty nice skiing up high.
sun ring
sun ring

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
RichP

RichP
PostTue Apr 26, 2011 10:32 am 
Franklin, What happened to all your posts? I know you have more than 32.

iron

iron
PostTue Apr 26, 2011 10:41 am 
he must have found his password to fwb (not fwb2)

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostTue Apr 26, 2011 10:53 am 
Awesome trip you 2! I'm jealous...! Wish I woulda known, I could have looked for you on the ridge. I was out cutting my lawn for the first time on weds.

RichP

RichP
PostTue Apr 26, 2011 11:08 am 
iron wrote:
he must have found his password to fwb (not fwb2)
Ahh. I was worried that we had lost a bunch o' good stuff.

honey badger

honey badger
PostWed Apr 27, 2011 9:26 am 
Dicey - thanks for the video. Was a great outing. A good place for a return. ale_capone - ya, gotta' answer your phone.. wink.gif . figured you were so close we could have sweet talked you into a little walk and sliding. Not the thrill of the uber-steep, but nice mellow skiing is better than mowing the lawn biggrin.gif