Forum Index > Trip Reports > Utah 2011 [Part 4]: Arches NP, The Fiery Furnace
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSat Apr 16, 2011 7:36 pm 
(Continued from Part 3: Canyonlands National Park) Driving back north from Canyonlands, I first made a stop at the visitor center and asked about permits for The Fiery Furnace. The Furnace is a huge area of tightly packed sandstone fins, slot canyons, and jumbled rocks. There is no official trail and access is limited to 75 permits per day. I had hoped to go on a ranger guided walk but those were sold out weeks in advance. As luck would have it I grabbed the second to last permit! I had to watch a short video (stay on rock, dont trample plants, you might get lost...) before getting my permit and heading into the rocks.
Hole In The Rock
Hole In The Rock
Giant plastic lizard
Giant plastic lizard
Fiery Furnace start
Fiery Furnace start
As they said there is no official trail. I found my way into an upper entry point with a chopped set of stairs and metal handrail. Shortly beyond I found an arch over an area of extremely slippery slickrock. I went for a little ski trip as I tried to walk down and nearly into a 6ft deep fissure; that would have hurt. I kept going, keeping a careful eye on my return route to avoid getting lost. The area is indeed a big maze! Many routes that appear to go through instead reach a swift dead end or a steep drop. No footprints to follow since travel is over rock and no guiding cairns. I passed through some very narrow cracks in the rocks, scrambled over some rock areas, and wound up in a cool sandy cavern area about an hour and a half later. I found a cool double arch and then another smaller one beyond it. I couldn't see an easy way to keep going but it was getting close to sunset anyway so I backtracked my route out. I didn't have any trouble finding my way until I dropped down the exit stairs and was disoriented about a quarter mile from the car!
Some kid
Some kid
Hidden arch
Hidden arch
Typical passages in Fiery Furnace
Typical passages in Fiery Furnace
Sense of scale
Sense of scale
Another arch
Another arch
Narrow passage
Narrow passage
There was still an hour until sunset so I made a quick stop at Skyline Arch, nicely lit and colored red from the low sun. It was only 0.2 miles from the car so I was back quickly and on the road to camp again. I checked in with the host, grabbed my camera, and headed up to the top of a nice rock fin beyond the picnic area for sunset. As I sat there, two white vans of college students from PLU arrived and made camp in the group area below. They had driven all the way from Seattle and were planning a tour through several other sights in the area. The final sunset of my trip was pretty but short; rain clouds were swirling behind me. I made my way off the fin and back to camp, pitching my tent as far back as allowed behind a tree. I was a little jealous of the campers on either side of me in their RVs and trailers, generators running, likely with heat. Tonight I would have my mummy sleeping bag fully zipped and pulled tight around my face.
Skyline Arch
Skyline Arch
Dark clouds
Dark clouds
Sunset
Sunset
Sunset
Sunset
Glowing rain
Glowing rain
Glowing tent
Glowing tent
I took my dinner up to the amphiteater and watched the ranger presentation about the Wolfe family of settlers who started a ranch and built a historic cabin long ago. The ranger told us, as we left, that "the four letter S-word is in the forecast: SNOW." It was definitely cold enough, already below freezing. I went back to camp and climbed into my sleeping bag to read for awhile before my arms got too cold to hold the book and I turned in early. It was indeed a cold night and I had a layer of frozen condensation inside my tent in the morning. Packed up and off just after sunset I went for a quick hike out to Broken and Tapestry Arches, then a side trip to Sand Dune Arch, just off the highway. I had to wait while a grandfather moved all his kids out of the way so I could get a photo. "Hey runts, get out of the way!" he yelled at them. For my final stop I went out to Windows and Double Arch. Double Arch was gigantic and really impressive! I walked right under it. Then I made my way up to North and South Windows, passing Turret Arch on the way. Blue sky and low sun made for great sights. I wanted to take the photo of Turrent looking through North Window but couldn't immediately see how to get to the outcrop I needed to shoot from. Many signs said "not a trail". I opted to go around the "primitive trail" to the backside and see if there was a good way from there. Along the way I found a ranger lining up rocks along the slickrock surface to keep people from trampling the plants. She was nice but didn't know about the photo, despite it being all over their website and giftshop. She said to stay on trail. I continued on and found yet another ranger just out of the parking lot. He knew exactly where the shot was taken and said just stay on rocks, be careful, and don't cause a helicopter rescue. Good enough for me! I climbed through North Window, dropped down, and did an easy scramble up to a little outcrop, exactly in line for my photo. Too bad the tourons were now out in force and standing all over the place! At least they provide some scale for the size of the place.
Double Arch
Double Arch
Parade of Elephants
Parade of Elephants
Turret Arch
Turret Arch
Windows
Windows
People in North Window
People in North Window
Turret Arch through North Window
Turret Arch through North Window
I'd now seen most of the park and was out of time; I had to get back to Salt Lake City for my flight home. I drove back into Moab in search of another shower. The resort on the edge of town had showers but they were closed for cleaning. The RV park next door had showers but they were for guests only. Finally I found one at Canyonlands Campground. They were happy to charge me $6 for the shower and another $5 to use a towel, no soap or shampoo offered! Highway robbery considering their water is piped in, and made Needles Outpost all the more friendly. Cleaned up, I headed out of town for the long drive back. Not far out of town I got a robo-call from Delta saying my flight was delayed. If only I had received it earlier, I could have stayed in town longer. Instead I kept on with the drive, killing time by listening to the stand-up comedy channel on satellite radio. There was plenty of fresh snow on Soldier Pass and on the far side, down into town as well. I still had plenty of time to kill so I drove past the airport and looked for a sign to a park along Great Salt Lake, which I had only seen from a distance. The signs directed me to a "Lagoon" which sounded great. Unfortunately "Lagoon" turned out to be a park with roller coasters and bumper cars. I did pick up signs for a bird preserve that seemed nice. I wound my way through endless new subdivisions only to find they had just closed the gate for the day!
Driving out
Driving out
Old train in a rest stop
Old train in a rest stop
No time left, and little gas left in the rental, I returned to the airport and checked in. I killed the remaining time wandering around the airport and waiting in line at Squatters Pub, which had a surprisingly good beer selection. I got sick of waiting in the long line and instead grabbed a frozen yogurt and went to the gate to read. The plane arrived about 9pm and the attendants rushed to get everyone on board. It didn't even stop as it taxied onto the runway, just took off like a shot. Bye Utah, it's been fun. The flight was smooth but the descent and landing into Seattle was choppy. I hate flying. Humans are not meant to be packed into a metal tube and blasted through the sky on exploding hydrocarbons. Finally free from the plane I found my way to baggage claim and waited a long time for my gear to arrive. Lauren again gave me a ride and told me all about the great (hah!) weather I had missed, along with the high avalanche danger. No snow where I was, so no avalanche danger! I was happy to be home after such a long day of traveling by foot, car, and plane. What a great experience! This was my first time traveling this far alone and I was a little nervous at first but had a great time. I went where I wanted, when I wanted, and just enjoyed the place. Two national parks, some great desert scenery, fun and different hiking, and blue sky. I wish I could have stayed longer and seen more! (Click here for all the photos on flickr)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostSat Apr 16, 2011 8:14 pm 
Nice photos once again... smile.gif

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostSat Apr 16, 2011 8:15 pm 
So now that the trip is over what do you consider the highlights? Your Fiery Furnace experience sounds like something I would enjoy - I wish I knew that 'self guided' permits were available when I was there last time. That limitless exploring is the reason I liked the Chesler Park area so much - I believe I found that same detour that leads to a high shelf above Elephant Canyon - there were endless possibilities for exploring but also the chance to just relax and take it all in without other people taking away from the wilderness experience. So glad everything worked out well for you.

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Mega-Will
country bumpkin

Mega-Will
country bumpkin
PostSat Apr 16, 2011 8:21 pm 
Sweet, I'm in PDX right now, heading that way! cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif

dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostSat Apr 16, 2011 9:17 pm 
Lucky you! Looks like you had mostly perfect weather too cool.gif

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostSat Apr 16, 2011 9:59 pm 
Love it Opus! The narrative and the images...
Great shot!

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostSat Apr 16, 2011 10:01 pm 
Great trip, Opus! As much as I love sharing trips with other folks, Southern Utah is one place that I think I could very happily share with just me and my camera! hockeygrin.gif The Fiery Furnace is a really cool place. We did a Canyoneering/rapelling trip in there and I was really glad to have a guide. It would be really easy to get lost in there. Great shot of the Turret Arch through North! up.gif Loved parts 1,2,3 and 4!

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostMon Apr 18, 2011 9:51 pm 
Davidą wrote:
So now that the trip is over what do you consider the highlights?
I'd have to say Canyonlands was the highlight for me. It was such a unique area and my only real backcountry time on this trip. There was so much more left to explore, I wish I had more time. But I'm glad I got away from the roads and all the people for awhile. Fiery Furnace was really awesome. I think they've changed the rules pretty recently. I wish I had enough daylight for more exploring in there. I went in an upper entry point and could see a trail further down too. But that leaves something for next time anyway. The two parks were so different. Canyonlands had all the roaming and solitude opportunities. Arches had so much to offer for photography close to the road and easy access so one could drive around to different parts for the best light.

Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostTue Apr 19, 2011 3:42 pm 
Your adventures are AWESOME! You must have a flexiable career. I now have the time and not enough $ to do all the things I want. Why is that, when you have the money you don't have the time...It's a catch 22. I loved reading and seeing your photos, thanks for sharing as always!

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostTue Apr 19, 2011 4:33 pm 
Gorgeous! slobber.gif slobber.gif . . . you did make it to the Golden Arches, too, right? lol.gif winksmile.gif

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
touron

touron
PostTue Apr 19, 2011 6:12 pm 
Great pictures! Does the green lizard imply you toured the souvenir shop inside the rock? up.gif up.gif up.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
MountainMan

MountainMan
PostTue Apr 19, 2011 6:22 pm 
Really nice trips, Opus! up.gif Now I'm wondering if I could manage to head down through Utah on my way south soon...

Slow down, take notice, savor the moment, appreciate the world around you and everything that you have.
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostTue Apr 19, 2011 9:57 pm 
touron wrote:
Great pictures! Does the green lizard imply you toured the souvenir shop inside the rock? up.gif up.gif up.gif
Nope. In true tourist fashion I scoffed at the high entry fee and wandered around the free areas. wink.gif I'm lucky enough to have a job that goes after the European model and gives a lot of vacation instead of higher salary. I'd keep those days off over a raise anytime. Gotta have the balance.

touron

touron
PostTue Apr 19, 2011 10:01 pm 
Entry fee. I should have guessed by the large white lettering painted on the rock above (not to mention the inclusion of the word "Amazing" on the building). shakehead.gif Still, it warms my heart to know that such a tourist trap exists. up.gif up.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.