Forum Index > Trip Reports > Split Rock (Skagit county bike/hike/snowshoe) 04/19/11
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostTue Apr 19, 2011 10:22 pm 
366 days ago a friend and I tried to hike to Split Rock and were turned around due to the deep snow and limited time. We didn't see Split Rock but we did enjoy the peculiarity of Bald Mountain.
Bald Mtn access road
Bald Mtn access road
Bald Mtn
Bald Mtn
Fast Forward to today... I managed to round up a different buddy for another attempt. This buddy was the guy who first told me about Split Rock. He'd been there a few times before, but it was decades ago and he was longing for a repeat visit. Our schedules collided this morning. We treked out there with mountain bikes and snowshoes. We had clouds, sun and snow. We encountered snow a lot lower than last year, but were able to make good use of some old 4WD tracks that were solid enought to walk in without snowshoes - even though the snow was more than three feet deep.
Bikes + Snow = Slow
Bikes + Snow = Slow
Leaving the bikes
Leaving the bikes
Snow Ruts
Snow Ruts
Eventually the tracks petered out and we had to switch to snowshoes. It slowed our progress a bit, but the snow was pretty crusty so breaking trail wasn't a whole lot different that we we had been doing in the tire tracks -- except now we were wearing snowshoes while doing it.
Snowing at 2,500 ft on 4/19/11
Snowing at 2,500 ft on 4/19/11
Split Rock is a HUGE rock that just sits there... surrounded by nothing similar. My buddy explained that he heard from some knowledgeable geologists that this was not dropped here by a receeding glacier but it was in fact spit up by the earth at some point long, long ago. It's hard to guage the scale in these pictures. This thing is at least as large as a five story building. At least!
First view of (part of) split rock
First view of (part of) split rock
Amazement
Amazement
Split Rock (most of it)
Split Rock (most of it)
We didn't climb to the top, but if I happen to go back then climbing to the top would be my objective. My buddy claims that if you hike past Split Rock a short ways you can then circle around it and there is a rather easy route to the top. The return on bikes was heavenly! Having to hike those final miles would have just been too much to be enjoyable.
Riding back down, approaching Bald Mtn
Riding back down, approaching Bald Mtn
All in all, it was a great day with excellent company, unusual weather (but it kept us cool without being cold or drenched) and lots of miles. Our round trip clocked in at 13.9 miles with 2, 194 feet of elevation gain. We biked about 7 miles, hiked about 2.5 miles and snowshoed about 2.5 miles. The gate was open upon our arrival and still open when we left, but we left the vehicle outside the gate. Saw NO ONE all day long. ~E Edited to Add a link to a Geology Field Trip to Bald Mountain, in case you are interested in that stuff (and so I can find it later when I need it). Edited to add a crooked stitched panorama:
Split Rock Panorama 04-19-2011
Split Rock Panorama 04-19-2011

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Apr 19, 2011 10:35 pm 
Elvis wrote:
Amazement
Amazement
I'd say you captured it pretty well in this photo. Very interesting TR -- I saved it for future reference.

mike

mike
PostWed Apr 20, 2011 9:23 am 
We always approached Split Rk from Janicki Rd or Walker Valley Rd in the distant past. Dallas Kloke and friends explored a few route there in the '60's. Also Bald Mtn and the Walker Valley Boulders. That area of Cultus Mtn must have experienced some catastrophic event in the recent past. Probably at the same time as Slide Mtn on the Nooksack

aywolfpac

aywolfpac
PostWed Apr 20, 2011 10:40 am 
Great report Elvis. "Amazement" is a really cool picture.

cascadefreeheeler

cascadefreeheeler
PostWed Apr 20, 2011 8:48 pm 
If you go up there in the summer to climb, here is some info: The left hand side of split has a nice 5.11+ bolted route. Look for the shiny anchors. In the split I've installed two sets of anchors for top roping. Rappel into the split from the first set of anchors to the bolted belay and then climb back out. The route to the top is really class 4. I suggest a rope to traverse the chock in between the split. There are a ton of boulder routes all around split. If you like that sort of thing, you've got mecca. Dallas had the routes in his old guidebook but I seem to have misplaced my photocopies. The ones he listed are all < 5.5. In the summer you can drive right to it.

cascadefreeheeler

cascadefreeheeler
PostWed Apr 20, 2011 8:57 pm 
Example boulder

Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostWed Apr 20, 2011 11:21 pm 
cascadefreeheeler wrote:
In the summer you can drive right to it.
doh.gif I thought that due to gates vehicle access was only available to ORV's. When we tried to hike up here last year we encountered a couple motorcycles that came up an obvious 'off road' route. Thanks for the climbing data, cascadefreeheeler - and welcome to the site! Since I'm not an experienced rock climber, how come Bald Mtn isn't a popular climbing destination? Seems to me like it would be a great location for climbing (theoretically) - and a lot easier to access during winter than Split Rock. ~E

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
cascadefreeheeler

cascadefreeheeler
PostThu Apr 21, 2011 9:42 am 
The gate can limit access but isn't always locked. As far as bald mountain, I can't imagine any continuous lines on that choss pile. Even split rock is limited in the amount of climbing due to moss.

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostThu Apr 21, 2011 1:10 pm 
Love that geological description! Thanks for posting it

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com