Forum Index > Photography Talk > Doctored photo of the day
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
NewlyNorwegian

NewlyNorwegian
PostWed Jun 22, 2011 8:11 am 
Not many could critisize Ansel Adams as lacking skill or an understanding of light. shakehead.gif Adams worked years on his "Moonrise Over ?? New Mexico" adjusting the background light, as he did with many of his Wilderness photos. Photography is art, and the photographer's interpretation plays a vital role in that art. Like it or not. Doesn't make it "fake." I think most photographers are aware of this distinction.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
straydog
slave to a monolith

straydog
slave to a monolith
PostWed Jun 22, 2011 8:51 am 
NewlyNorwegian wrote:
Not many could critisize Ansel Adams as lacking skill or an understanding of light. shakehead.gif ...Photography is art, and the photographer's interpretation plays a vital role in that art. Like it or not. Doesn't make it "fake." I think most photographers are aware of this distinction.
up.gif up.gif

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Jun 22, 2011 5:26 pm 
NewlyNorwegian wrote:
Not many could critisize Ansel Adams as lacking skill or an understanding of light. shakehead.gif
Entirely different situation. When you're working with a darkroom, you have to understand how you're exposing the image in the first place, then you have to understand how to process it when you're exposing the negative, and how to manipulate the negative and in what ways. With digital, all you have to do is take two images, cut and paste. Or maybe even less given what the newest version of Photoshop is capable of. It's not necessarily Photoshop per say that is responsible for the lessening of general understanding of how to expose a photo, but with the onslaught of so many different programs for processing digital, people have generally gotten way too focused on fixing what they couldn't do right in the first place. What concerns me more than adding in sky that wasn't there in the first place is the HDR attitude I see becoming more and more commonplace - the "I'll just bracket 15 shots and blend them ALL together so I'm guaranteed to get rid of all the shadows and ensure super detail is present in EVERY pixel" mindset is responsible for FAR more people not understanding exposure than anything else, I think.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Jun 22, 2011 6:10 pm 
The best use for Photoshop IMO is when you get divorced or something, you can edit the other person out of your photos without scissors. embarassedlaugh.gif PS: Ansel Adams is over-rated. tongue.gif Not enough color in his pictures. dizzy.gif He should have used Kodachrome. embarassedlaugh.gif

NewlyNorwegian

NewlyNorwegian
PostWed Jun 22, 2011 9:05 pm 
Art evolves, just like everything, and everyone else. Photoshop is just another branch in Photography's evolution. Don't see the point in whether or not there's an understanding of the process. A painter does not need to know how the paint is made in order to paint her interpretation of a particular scene. A photograph is an expression of a photographer's interpretation of a scene. It's not a documentary.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Jun 22, 2011 10:23 pm 
NewlyNorwegian wrote:
A photograph is an expression of a photographer's interpretation of a scene. It's not a documentary.
Yes, but there's a difference between taking artistic liberties with a photograph as it was captured, and using a photograph as the basis for a piece of art in which elements which were not present were added/removed or manipulated. I think as long as people are honest about what they're doing to their pictures, it really makes no difference.

NewlyNorwegian

NewlyNorwegian
PostThu Jun 23, 2011 7:49 am 
Art is art. Photography is often art. Not really a question of honesty or dishonesty. If it is, than Adams was a flaming liar. Most of his photos do not represent conditions that were present when the photo was taken. Seems to me you're trying to make photography something it is not, and has never been. Edit: I guess what it boils down to for me is that Photography means different things to different people, and trying to pin absolutes on an art is contrary to art.

NewlyNorwegian

NewlyNorwegian
PostThu Jun 23, 2011 10:20 am 
My favorite book on this subject is "Digital Landscape Photography: In the Footsteps of Ansel Adams and the Great Masters" by Michael Frye. Very enlightening for me about what photography can be.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Jun 23, 2011 11:35 am 
NewlyNorwegian wrote:
I guess what it boils down to for me is that Photography means different things to different people, and trying to pin absolutes on an art is contrary to art.
Absolutely agree. However...my personal definition of artistic license in photography is in complete agreement with Sore Feet's. Adding/removing stuff from landscape photography is a no-no (other than cleaning sensor dust spots). The way I look at it painters can get away with a lot more, since there's nothing perfect about the medium (in fact being too perfect works against the artist); in photography though, there's enough 'exactness' possible that artistry should be expressed in other forms, such as composition/light control/timing/etc. Again, I can't fault others for doing all kinds of manipulations in the name of art; that's their right. I might not appreciate it, but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it...there are probably many others who will appreciate it. Live and let live.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostThu Jun 23, 2011 11:59 am 
Coming from many years shooting film, and lots of darkroom work (including color), I couldn't agree more with NN. I loved the results, and have many good memories of opening the developing tube after a long work session on a 16x20 Cibachrome and finding a perfect (to me) print, but I don't miss the smell of chemicals or time in the dark. The modern digital tools are incredible and I fully embrace them to express myself. They aren't perfect (yet) esp. the conundrum of saving $ on film, but then sinking much more into upgrading cameras, software, and computers. I agree that some people seem to get stuck on a certain faddish technique (like HDR) and go what seems to me to be too far with it, but to each their own. And yes, learning the basics of good exposure, focus, etc. might be going by the wayside since modern cameras are so good most of the time in auto mode, but most have manual controls if you want to use them. As has always been the case you can use the full power of the tools to express yourself, or let them do it for you in auto, digital just gives you more choices, esp. in post processing. I don't see how that can be a bad thing, other than the time and effort to keep up with it, and choose what to buy or spend time on. It seems that some of the problem here is the difference between documentary work vs. art. Hiking/climbing/landscapes which dominate the pictures posted on this site tend to be viewed more as documentary, so some people see it as cheating to go too far with digital tools (replacing the sky, cloning out objects, etc.). Personally I don't care much unless it misrepresents the difficulty or misleads about a route, which I doubt is ever a problem. On the other hand if a newspaper/magazine publishes a report with a doctored photo most of us would agree that is going too far.

mike

mike
PostThu Jun 23, 2011 12:13 pm 
Sore Feet wrote:
I think as long as people are honest about what they're doing to their pictures, it really makes no difference.
I think it only matters if people are intentionally misrepresenting facts as in news photography. It really makes no difference otherwise. Who cares if the bride had a pimple removed or there actually was a transmission tower in the landscape?

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostTue Jul 19, 2011 10:53 pm 
I accidentally overdid it on the contrast... and kind of liked it! embarassedlaugh.gif Before
After

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Jul 27, 2011 1:06 pm 
Yep, that's pretty neat. Looks like a painting.

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostWed Jul 27, 2011 1:58 pm 
That'd make some freaky wallpaper!

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf
silence

silence
PostSun Jul 31, 2011 7:29 am 
this wasn't really drastic .. but it's definitely altered -- i was trying to achieve the tilt-shift effect in ps .. which can also be done in camera with the appropriate lens usually tilt-shift is used for urban scenes .. but i gave it a try with nature since that's what i shoot mostly .. it takes a unique set of circumstances for an image to be the right choice for this effect .. i looked thru many b4 finding this one .. ideally i and others think it needs a subject as a focal point -- my choice would have been a deer .. but it is what it is .. i wasn't about to cut n paste one in wink.gif basically .. it's all about fooling the eye to believe it to be a short depth of field the "L" thing in the caption is for flickr .. ignore it .. but to see the full fx it's best to click on the image to see the larger versions -- btw this is nevada falls, yosemite np, 1/21/11 original shot in raw -- cleaned up a bit -- meaning some adjustment on exposure and color (i always try to make it as close to what it was)
Upper and Lower Yosemite Falls
Upper and Lower Yosemite Falls
with tilt-shift fx
playing with tilt-shift in ps ...
playing with tilt-shift in ps ...
on the other hand .. this was meant to be purely a conceptual piece .. duh .. but it was built entirely from images i have shot .. it took a few weeks to create as there was a lot to learn in ps that one doesn't typically use for photography
Dream Boy
Dream Boy
as for the discussion re photogs using ps to make up for their inabilities .. well there's no way in hell you will come home with a perfect image shot in raw .. it will always have to be fixed .. esp the color .. everyone knows that agree.gif

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan