Forum Index > Gear Talk > Tent Footprints
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon May 09, 2011 11:05 am 
Its not a rip off if you have a choice whether to buy it or not. Many people like simplistic answers to their questions! "How do I protect my tent?" Oh, there's a ground sheet, Ill buy that. Etc etc etc. Other people like to come up with things on their own.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostMon May 09, 2011 2:44 pm 
never used a footprint, never ripped a floor. other then using it with just the rainfly on some tents, I see no reason for it either. If you do rip the floor, duct tape works great! what I wonder, is it any easier to wash a footprint then a tent? Why do people use it to keep the tent clean? I never understood that.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon May 09, 2011 3:52 pm 
KillerCharlie wrote:
has anyone gotten their footprint ripped and was happy it wasn't their tent?
Yes, several times. It's sorta like the protection that a double hulled vessel provides. Silnylon floors are prone to abrasion, so I usually take a Tyvek ground cloth or use a space blanket. I made one for my 2R from a spare piece of silnylon. But not always -- there's a case to be made for not taking a ground cloth. As others say, expensive tent footprints are a ripoff. +1 to Allison's suggestion to use Tyvek. You can get Tyvek from a construction site or cheap from Six Moons Designs

Criminal

Criminal
PostMon May 09, 2011 5:08 pm 
Floors in tents are lighter because people shop by the weight. If tent A weighs 2.5 pounds and tent B weighs 2.8 pounds, tent A sells more. I have a footprint for my BA Fly Creek UL1, but I've really wanted a piece of Tyvek for one reason, to extend into the vestibule area so I have some place clean(er) to take off my boots. Thanks for the links!

Because I am mad about women, I am mad about the hills Said that wild old wicked man, who travels where God wills. - Yeats topohiker.com
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostMon May 09, 2011 5:09 pm 
I haven't used anything under any tent for at least 10 years and have had no problems. That was true even with the extra-light silnylon floor I had on one tent (Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo). Before that I used a piece of plastic (painters drop cloth) cut about 2" smaller than the tent on each side. That makes a nice disposable "footprint" that you usually have to toss after every trip. For a more durable ground cloth, try polycro (same stuff used in plastic storm window kits) which lasts at least a season. It's a good idea to remove sticks, pine cones and stones from the ground where your tent will be, and to keep your dog's claws clipped. That will do far more to preserve your tent floor than any footprint. IMHO, nylon footprints are a sales gimmick. They are heavy, expensive and certainly unnecessary! If you want to use a tarp, buy a tarp which has far more pitching options.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey

InFlight
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostMon May 09, 2011 5:54 pm 
Daryl wrote:
what I wonder, is it any easier to wash a footprint then a tent? Why do people use it to keep the tent clean? I never understood that.
Yes, it's easier to wash (or toss) a footprint. But for me it has less to do with washing than with simple convenience on the trail. It's easier to fold a dirty groundsheet in on itself than to roll/fold a dirty tent so as not to foul other gear. And it's nice to have the clean sheet to put my knees down on while I roll up the tent. Not a big deal either way.

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!
PostMon May 09, 2011 5:56 pm 
So is Tyvek available at hardware stores like Home Depot, or online like those links some of you put up??

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon May 09, 2011 6:14 pm 
Tyvek is available in big quantities at Home Depot, etc. If you pass a construction site, somebody might give you a piece. I assume that 6MD is buying a roll of Tyvek and then cutting it up.
Grannyhiker wrote:
It's a good idea to remove sticks, pine cones and stones from the ground where your tent will be. . .
If my campsites will be limited to places with sticks and pine cones, I'll leave the ground cloth at home. If I expect to camp on rock, I'll take a ground cloth.

mike220
Slug's taxi service

mike220
Slug's taxi service
PostMon May 09, 2011 6:29 pm 
I have a roll of the 3' wide stuff laying around from a home improvement project. If you want a piece of it PM me and you can have what you want. Note: it isn't the light "kite weight stuff", it is regular house rap. Mike

"Natural stupidity trumps artificial intelligence every time"
half fast

half fast
PostMon May 09, 2011 7:11 pm 
I was given some Tyvek from a construction site. I just cut to fit my tent. It is lightweight, rolls up nicely and even if it is not necessary, I feel better having it. I do like the idea of a space blanket... up.gif I might look into that if and when my Tyvek needs to be replaced.

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon May 09, 2011 8:34 pm 
The kite Tyvek is a lot lighter than housewrap.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostMon May 09, 2011 8:36 pm 
dicey wrote:
Tent footprints=rip off. I've never bought/used one. If the ground is rocky, I just slide my ridgerest under the tent in my sleeping spot.
+1. It adds extra, unnecessary weight also.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostMon May 09, 2011 9:19 pm 
Obi Tony Kenobi wrote:
Then I came across gofastlite.com/ and they sell footprints made out of Tyvek. It cost $28.95 and that is a big piece of chunk cheaper. Have any of you heard of them? Any opinions on gofastlite.com?
I just wrote to them asking about a particular tent footprint, and asked if they do the work right there in Coos Bay. But, by chance, does anyone here know?

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Yeti
Truly Abominable

Yeti
Truly Abominable
PostTue May 10, 2011 9:14 pm 
If you still want a factory Copper Spur UL footprint...they have one over at geartrade.com for 40% off http://www.geartrade.com/browse/106/93/176/item/191188 - BTW I always use something under my tent. Is it just me, or does it seem that tyvek can collect a lot of dirt and debris which is somewhat difficult to shake off?

DaleW

DaleW
PostTue May 10, 2011 9:23 pm 
You can buy Tyvek by the foot on eBay. The house wrap is heavier and noisy-- washing helps. If you go to Home Depot, you can buy the large Frost King window insulation film kit for about $6 and it will make several footprints. Each will weigh about 1.5oz. It is the same thing as polycro--- heat shrink plastic wrap. It is tough and light. It makes a great ground cloth for tarp tents too.