Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Years of PCT Construction
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
blue_tuberosa
Uber Geek

blue_tuberosa
Uber Geek
PostWed May 11, 2011 6:06 pm 
Hello folks, I was wondering if anyone knows when the PCT was constructed through Washington State. More specifically, I am interested in information about the streatch spanning the Alpine Lakes Wilderness. I know that it was designated one of the first scenic trails in the National Trails System authorized by Congress in 1968, and was dedicated in 1993. I think trail construction in the ALW happened sometime in the late 60s through mid-70s.... Any tips would be appreciated!

Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done. - Justice Louis Brandeis
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed May 11, 2011 6:29 pm 
It was the Cascade Crest Trail originally through Washington. Some sections go back to the 1800's. Kendall Katwalk was built in the early 70's. The old trail went over Red Pass to Goldmeyer then to Dutch Miller Gap. The ALW section was all completed in the 1930's.

blue_tuberosa
Uber Geek

blue_tuberosa
Uber Geek
PostWed May 11, 2011 6:40 pm 
Thanks Schroder!

Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done. - Justice Louis Brandeis
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed May 11, 2011 6:41 pm 
CCC projects built a lot of trails through the Cascades during the depression.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed May 11, 2011 6:42 pm 
up.gif

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
blue_tuberosa
Uber Geek

blue_tuberosa
Uber Geek
PostWed May 11, 2011 6:57 pm 
I'm putting together a presentation about Waptus Lake for next week and these are the main points I'm making for History & Land Use: Sahaptin word “Wáptas” meaning “feather” 1800s to mid-1900s: Natives, miners, & trappers 1905: USFS land management begins 1930s – 1970s: CCC trails & fire lookouts 1976: ALW designation (Ford) 1980s: USFS enforces regulations (i.e., group size & packstock setbacks)

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed May 11, 2011 7:07 pm 
Blue, will you find a way to show it here in Seattle for us???? That sounds like a really cool presentation.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed May 11, 2011 7:24 pm 
From what I understand, the old Crest trail was mostly comprised of a bunch of lesser trails and then connected. People took various routes when there was a choice to do so, but it was still considered doing the CCT. Snoqualmie Pass is an example - they had a choice - either over Red Pass, or they took Snow Lake/Rock Creek, or they dropped down to Gold Creek - 3 different trails, but still the CCT, later the PCT route - now we have Kendall Katwalk. Harvey Manning rants in the old 100 Hikes books that came out around the time the FS decided to blast the Katwalk - he favored the Gold Creek route and predicted hikers would drop to their deaths on a regular basis. One man did die in the building of the Katwalk. I cannot find out who the Katwalk was named after (or if I did find out, I couldn't find information on the guy other than his name). Mt Thomson was named after R.H. Thomson an early Seattle civil engineer (fascinating guy - I have a secret crush on him), and Lundin Peak was named for J.W. Lundin, an early forest ranger. Guye is named after a miner.

blue_tuberosa
Uber Geek

blue_tuberosa
Uber Geek
PostWed May 11, 2011 7:25 pm 
Well I suppose since I've never made it to a social, that I should show up sometime.... so yeah, maybe we can work something out. I spent the last 3 years researching Waptus Lake "CHANGES IN SPATIAL DISTRIBUTION, IMPACTED AREAS, AND USE OVER TIME" for my master's thesis. The presentation next week is my defense. eek.gif

blue_tuberosa
Uber Geek

blue_tuberosa
Uber Geek
PostWed May 11, 2011 7:27 pm 
I think Watson Pass was named after a guy killed in a blast on the trail.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed May 11, 2011 7:28 pm 
Wooowwww! Send it to me, willya? When you're done? That sounds so SO COOL! I have an old report from the mid 1960s - about human and horse impact on Image Lake. Interesting stuff. Congrats and good luck!

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed May 11, 2011 7:29 pm 
blue_tuberosa wrote:
I think Watson Pass was named after a guy killed in a blast on the trail.
I bet that's him - the name sounds familiar. I did some research last summer. Young guy, too. OK, get back to work!

Phil

Phil
PostThu May 12, 2011 12:20 pm 
blue_tuberosa wrote:
The presentation next week is my defense.
Good luck!

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu May 12, 2011 2:04 pm 
So you'll soon be Dr. Tuberosa? smile.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
blue_tuberosa
Uber Geek

blue_tuberosa
Uber Geek
PostThu May 12, 2011 8:09 pm 
Cute Mike! tongue.gif Not Dr., just Tubarosa, M.S.