Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Left lane campers.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
onemoremile

onemoremile
PostThu May 12, 2011 10:59 pm 
Yeah, same state. Maybe it's just over where I'm at, but people drive the same rain or no rain (snow is a different story). In other places I've lived (where rain is a big enough deal to make the news) there's all kinds of traffic troubles that come along with the rain. I'm actually surprised at some of the stuff people here are comfortable doing in the rain.

“Arbolist? Look up the word. I don’t know, maybe I made it up. Anyway, it’s an arbo-tree-ist, somebody who knows about trees.” G.W. Bush
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
like2thruhike

like2thruhike
PostFri May 13, 2011 12:01 am 
I agree with Slugman up.gif The irony of this is the LACK of law enforcers. With each new law there should be an additional number of troopers hired to enforce laws.

Nordic

Nordic
PostFri May 13, 2011 12:37 am 
Finally some encouraging news... up.gif I never thought I'd see that law being enforced. I've seen countless times "campers" in left lane (blocking traffic flow) who were approached by a state trooper from behind (some of them even continuing to camp for a while with a trooper right on their butt - clearly oblivious to what's going on around them, and clearly breaking the law) and were never pulled over.
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Unlike most tickets for speeding this really is about safety.
Exactly!

Spotly

Spotly
PostFri May 13, 2011 6:18 am 
Layback wrote:
Have you ever driven in the northeast? No offense but Washingtonians are the most polite group on the roads I've ever seen. It's Canadians that need to have their asses kicked.
I have driven in the northeast but only a few times and those were always timed for early AM so the only people I saw out and about were cops and drunks. And yeah...those danged Canadians too! Could be they just can't make the metric to standard conversion.

Phil

Phil
PostFri May 13, 2011 8:07 am 
onemoremile wrote:
Phil, I'm wondering if you thought my post was reading as I'm a last second racer merger?
No, sorry, I think I put across the wrong tone. I think we're seeing this matter eye-to-eye, for the most part. IOW, for the sake of good will, you should let people merge, but for the same reason you should merge in a timely fashion. I have a bigger problem with the jackass who races ahead and tries to merge at the last second than I do with the tailgaters who work to keep him out.

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostFri May 13, 2011 9:00 am 
Layback wrote:
Have you ever driven in the northeast? No offense but Washingtonians are the most polite group on the roads I've ever seen.
Yes, they very politely cut you off up here. Their turn signal comes on for one little blip after they've already cut into your lane and you've slammed on your brakes to avoid eating your air bag. Gee, thanks for the warning, pal. And Washington drivers don't honk their horns and flash their hi-beams when they tailgate, which is nice of them. They're close enough that I can see their dental work in my rear-view mirror, but at least they're politely riding my ass. On the subject of passing lane campers...I'd prefer that people drive their campers over in the slow lane with the semis.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostFri May 13, 2011 9:54 am 
Layback wrote:
No offense but Washingtonians are the most polite group on the roads I've ever seen.
That is why 4 way stops signs cause so much trouble in SEA. To actually be the one to GO! first is rude and selfish so you must wait for the other guy to GO! first...ad nauseum. I always go first. I lived in the SF Bay Area for quite a while(in the 80's), I loved driving 75mph bumper to bumper on 580. If you leave more than a foot between cars someone will squeeze in. I took a group of SEA friends on a road trip down there once and I had to clean all the poo out of the back seat of my car afterwards. Cowards!

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostFri May 13, 2011 10:16 am 
The worst of the campers are on I-5 south of Olympia in the 70 zone. They pull up, right into the blind spot of the slow moving person in the right lane, then just hang there, doing 62. It's the "afraid to pass" mindset. GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!! Then, after 5 miles of this, and they finally do pass, they speed up to 68, then slow down again - all with hundreds of yards of empty lane in front of them. Twits just don't know how to use the cruise control. Set for 72 and move in and out of the right lane as necessary to maintain.

Phil

Phil
PostFri May 13, 2011 12:10 pm 
Sarvesh wrote:
That is why 4 way stops signs cause so much trouble in SEA. To actually be the one to GO! first is rude and selfish so you must wait for the other guy to GO! first...ad nauseum. I always go first. I lived in the SF Bay Area for quite a while(in the 80's), I loved driving 75mph bumper to bumper on 580. If you leave more than a foot between cars someone will squeeze in. I took a group of SEA friends on a road trip down there once and I had to clean all the poo out of the back seat of my car afterwards. Cowards!
You're speaking to me here. On the first point, in the most extreme examples of this you get the fools that stop when they DO NOT HAVE A STOP SIGN and wave you through in a snappy fashion, as you wait at a stop sign. I, too, lived in the bay area a while, and I have positive recollections of the speedy highways there. Drivers seemed fast yet organized and conscientious of others.

Stefan

Stefan
PostFri May 13, 2011 4:10 pm 
This is great. Every time I am down in LA/San Diego those people go 80mph consistently on the highways when there is no traffic. I can't drive like that so I am forced onto the right. Wish more people did that up here....the moving over to the right....not the 80mph thingy

Art is an adventure.
tigermn

tigermn
PostFri May 13, 2011 7:09 pm 
Sarvesh wrote:
That is why 4 way stops signs cause so much trouble in SEA.
You think that is bad.. Now roundabouts are becoming more common and many have no clue how they are supposed to work. I actually like them better than 4 way stops but you gotta watch out.

touron

touron
PostFri May 13, 2011 7:23 pm 
One of the most difficult decisions to make about camping in the left lane is where to string your hammock. I always look for two freeway lamp posts that are close together, but you have to have your emergency blinkers on at least 100 yards before the first one. Of course if your emergency blinkers are always on, for safety, then this is not a problem.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri May 13, 2011 8:24 pm 
Oarboar wrote:
Bravo! This is long overdue!
up.gif up.gif up.gif Yup, as SOON as I cross the border from either Idaho or Oregon, it starts. About time they start educating the "campers".

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
trestle

trestle
PostFri May 13, 2011 11:12 pm 
onemoremile wrote:
Yeah, same state. Maybe it's just over where I'm at, but people drive the same rain or no rain
That's because there's so little room over here to drive more than 50 and driving here is not like anywhere else. Besides, it never rains here anyways clown.gif Driving in Sequim is like being in an Almost Live! skit.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
onemoremile

onemoremile
PostSat May 14, 2011 12:27 am 
johnson37 wrote:
onemoremile wrote:
Yeah, same state. Maybe it's just over where I'm at, but people drive the same rain or no rain
That's because there's so little room over here to drive more than 50 and driving here is not like anywhere else. Besides, it never rains here anyways clown.gif Driving in Sequim is like being in an Almost Live! skit.
Well, driving in Sequim is definitely unique. But I'm more referring to seeing drivers pass around Lake Crescent in near blinding rain or on the way to Kalaloch. Don't think I've ever not been tailgated around that lake. Rain or shine seems the driving out there is the same.

“Arbolist? Look up the word. I don’t know, maybe I made it up. Anyway, it’s an arbo-tree-ist, somebody who knows about trees.” G.W. Bush