Forum Index > Food & Grub > .
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jason

jason
PostSun May 22, 2011 11:54 am 

Heck is where people go who don’t believe in gosh.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun May 22, 2011 12:12 pm 
What kind of local flavor are you looking for and how far do you want to drive? The seatac area is kind of run down but plenty of good eats within driving distance.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun May 22, 2011 4:55 pm 
I love the chicken and chicken livers down at the market.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Burke M
over-caffeinated

Burke M
over-caffeinated
PostSun May 22, 2011 5:06 pm 
Id actually like to know of a place like this as well. We moved from NYC last year and the liquor laws with children in restaurants that serve alcohol are a bit absurd here. There are lots of good places it seems like but nowhere that I know of where you can take minors.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun May 22, 2011 5:07 pm 
Hm, no car, that might make it tough. There is a light rail line that takes you into town, that might be an option. As far as "bar and grill grub" downtown, all I can think of in that vein are all chain restaurants, but I bet I can think of something more interesting than that. How much time will you have?

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun May 22, 2011 5:57 pm 
For oysters and a view you're probably gonna pay more than you want. Might want to check out 13 coins which would be within walking distance. No view and a little pricey but you'd be saving cab fare. I've never been to the seatac location but always had a good meal at the downtown location.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun May 22, 2011 6:03 pm 
13 Coins is a lot like Denny's, if Denny's were good and kinda expensive. Nothing "Seattle" about it. I did not see the "oysters and a view" request in the OP's question. confused.gif Into/puddin, can you be more specific? I'm a local and I live and work in the city and as far as I can tell, there are not all that many places where children are NOT allowed. As a non-parent, there are not enough for my taste. smile.gif So what/where are you looking for? I bet I can point you in the right direction.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun May 22, 2011 6:28 pm 
You must have missed his reply re. oysters and a view then. Wouldn't really compare it to Denny's (other than it's 24 hours). Closer to an upscale bar and grill that serves good food and is within walking distance. They also have live music so you might get some local flavor in that regard (probably not classic rock though).

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun May 22, 2011 6:45 pm 
I did miss that post. Oysters, view, very "Seattle", gotcha. Try this: Matt's I have not been to the 13 Coins by the airport, but the one in Seattle is nothing special. Lot of choices here in town though, so I'm probably pretty spoiled on what's good.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun May 22, 2011 7:41 pm 
Couple iconic restaurants at the market from the light rail with nice views including The Athenian. If you like Microbrews there is the Pike Place Brewery which has good Pub food. There is Emmit Watsons Oyster Bar there also. Some of them can be quite expensive or require reservation, The Pink Door has good Italian Food and Maxs at the Market is more Gourmet. Ettas is a Tom Douglas place just below the Market.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Phil

Phil
PostSun May 22, 2011 9:56 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
The Pink Door has good Italian Food and Maxs at the Market is more Gourmet. Ettas is a Tom Douglas place just below the Market
Second the rec for either of those.

Nordic

Nordic
PostMon May 23, 2011 8:47 am 
I'm a big fan of Ivar's (from the fast-food like "Seafood Bars" including the one at the airport, to the more fancy ones like the Acres of Clams or Salmon House). The best deal would be the Ivar's seafood bar in Renton. It would be relatively inexpensive, not that far from the airport, and it's located in a park right on the shore of Lake Washington so the views are nice.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon May 23, 2011 5:26 pm 
Going the other way, towards Federal Way is Redondo Beach and Salty's. Unlike the Salty's in West Seattle, the one on Redondo is really relaxed and the view is pretty nice. We take my In-Law's there when they visit and they never complain!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostMon May 23, 2011 5:50 pm 
It doesn't have a view or oysters - but it isn't far from the airport if you need to taxi - Elliott Bay Brewery - Burien. Good food, great brews and I'm pretty certain you can take minors.

alpinelakes

alpinelakes
PostTue May 24, 2011 6:18 pm 
Ivar's Salmon House on South Lake Union is awesome. The indoor sit-down restaurant is great for dinner, but the best thing about Ivar's is the walk up counter outside the entrance. Excellent fish and chips at an almost reasonable price, and, wait for it: outside seating right on the water, with a great view and a nonstop boat show of epic proportions. There are sea planes taking off and landing, plus seagulls, crows, pelicans and really agressive canadian geese attempting to assault you for your food. A couple blocks west is Gasworks Park. The Burke Gilman Trail passes right through here, so you can arrive by bike or foot if you wish. In fact, it's a pretty good ride from south lake union to either Sand Point/Magnuson Park, or, in the other direction- Shilshole Bay/Golden Gardens. You can rent bikes at a place just east of Ivar's, towards the foot of University Ave... er, Re-Cycle, maybe? Ray's Boathouse in Shilshole is another sorta cool waterfront place with outdoor seating. It's also a bar, but I think kids are allowed in the restaurant... Thai Tom's, on the Ave. Best Thai food in this hemisphere. Worth waiting in line, especially if Tom is cooking. He's a complete master of his craft, it's like watching a magician working.