Forum Index > Trip Reports > Dingford Creek / Goldmyer recon
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
AlpineJoe

AlpineJoe
PostSat May 14, 2011 7:51 pm 
I had never been up to Goldmyer hotsprings before, so today was the day. Middle Fork road (#56) starts out like usual; it's pretty easy to pick a line to weave through the potholes, and maintain 15-20 MPH. But about 3 miles in, it gets pretty bad. There are frequent places where no 'line' exists, and you need to crawl in slow motion through the bomb craters. The gate for Dingford Creek road is indeed open. Much of that road is in OK shape, but there are two places where winter streams have carried tons of rocks across the road. You really need a high-clearance SUV to get through these places safely. I'm not saying it's impossible to get a regular-clearance car up there, but the likelihood of doing damage to some important parts on the underside of your car is pretty high. I'm not much for hiking along roads, so I brought my mtn. bike with me today, and rode up to the hotsprings. The caretaker there (Jeff) was very nice, but apologetically told me that Saturdays are already booked out through the end of June, and I would be unable to use the hotsprings because I had no reservation. A couple of minutes later someone walked up and announced that their party was smaller than planned.... so I got to take a dip in the springs after all smile.gif The little guidebook they keep at the caretaker's cabin that describes the history, flora, and fauna of the hotsprings contains an interesting statement-- it says that the area between Goldmyer and Dutch Miller Gap has never been logged, and is all old-growth. Anyone know if that's true? I didn't realize there were any more large stands of old growth so close to Seattle.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ridgewalker
Mountains and Rivers

ridgewalker
Mountains and Rivers
PostFri May 20, 2011 9:30 am 
I have to agree with you about the conditions of the Middle Fork Rd. It defiantly is a mine field, although not much in the way of washboards. Luckly with the Mtn Bike I can avoid them, but it is a chore of weaving back and forth or just hugging the edge or the middle at times.. I am curious if the County will do their yearly grading soon, there is quiet the pile of gravel at the Taylor River bridge... I usually access the Mid Fork by Bike up that road 2-3 times a week. So to all those reading, if you see a hiker on a old black mtn bike, please slow down to drop the dust. Luckly there is not much with the recent rains, but as the summer goes on it will get crazy. If we all don't race it will keep the dust down and the views good *redface.gif) Goldmyer is quiet a place. There in the grove behind the Caretaker's shack there. A couple of old cedars and Douglas Firs. I remember as you go up the valley a couple more places where old growth stand, but soon you get into avalanche area, so the trees are mid aged due to cycles of slides... Still that upper valley is quiet the place. The Caretakers mentioned that a Cycling Group will be coming through to buck and clear out the upper segment of the Mid Fork Trail. This is around June 1st to start their season on Odd Numbered days of Mtn Bike Uses. Also it sounded as though the FS was blastin' away at the Pratt River Connector there at the Gateway Bridge. For now, when the river goes down, there is a ford at Pratt River intake and a good grove of Old Growth up just about 2 miles in... Enjoy your further explorations... -- Ridgewalker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri May 20, 2011 11:36 am 
HEY, another Joe. Ya gotta like that. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostFri May 20, 2011 12:42 pm 
AlpineJoe wrote:
I didn't realize there were any more large stands of old growth so close to Seattle.
Head up the Dingford Creek trail about a mile and once you cross the wilderness boundry you will enter an amazing stand of old growth. A cathedral grove of Doug Firs, Cedars and Hemlocks.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri May 20, 2011 1:06 pm 
I was up there two days ago and the bloody gate was closed. Five cars in the parking lot as well. Beautiful day in the woods.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
LandRover

LandRover
PostFri May 20, 2011 11:08 pm 
Gate was open today.

"How come dumb stuff seams so smart when you're doing it" David Crockett
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri May 20, 2011 11:18 pm 
LandRover wrote:
Gate was open today.
Had the gate been open when I was there Wednesday I'd have been VERY tempted to have driven to the Dutch Miller Gap trailhead to get a picture of my Jeep sitting there. I'm glad I didn't have to make that decision. Getting stuck on the other side would SUCK badly. lol.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri May 20, 2011 11:41 pm 
Which gate are we talking about? I think you might be talking about 2 different gates here.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSat May 21, 2011 7:28 am 
Yep. BPJ's thinking they're talking about the gate AT Dingford, and everyone else is talking about the gate near the Taylor / MFK confluence that allows you to drive TO Dingford.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat May 21, 2011 7:30 am 
Oops! That Middlefork/Taylor gate has been open for a while. I thought everyone was talking about the Dingford gate.

AlpineJoe

AlpineJoe
PostSat May 21, 2011 2:58 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Oops! That Middlefork/Taylor gate has been open for a while. I thought everyone was talking about the Dingford gate.
Sorry about that Joe. Yes I did indeed mean the gate near the Taylor River TH. When speaking with the caretaker at Goldmyer, he said that he had tried to hike to Dutch Miller Gap but was turned back by deep snow - not sure how far he got before he gave up.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSat May 21, 2011 3:32 pm 
I'm under the understanding that the Dingford gate has been closed and locked permanently, with exceptions for inholders. Some posts here would imply that that has changed. Am I reading something into this discussion, or has something in fact changed?

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
TomG

TomG
PostSun May 22, 2011 10:48 am 
The Middle Fork Road is indeed in bad shape with the last few miles from the campground especially bad. I actually felt symptoms of seasickness from the back and forth rocking motions of the drive. My little commuter car is still mad at me. I know the goal is to ultimate pave the road, but until then would someone please setup an ATV rental shop at the Mailbox parking lot? And after all that, I still failed to make it to Rainy Lake.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun May 22, 2011 12:15 pm 
If you take a car on the Middleforkski at this time your'e risking damage to the suspension! Lot's of pot holes and deep ones at that. The road past the Taylor cut off is on and off bad. Not pot holes so much as rocky crappy road.

seattlehikertoo

seattlehikertoo
PostSun May 22, 2011 9:30 pm 
hmmm, was planning on a little foray up the Dingford trail tomorrow and as far as safely possible up Big Snow.