Forum Index > Trip Reports > Shi Shi/Point of Arches with half fast, eleventy-one pics
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tinman

tinman
PostThu May 26, 2011 6:20 pm 
I have a similar dead sea lion story from Toleak years and years ago. We got camp set up just at dusk and made a quick hike to the creek to get water in the dark. All was well until the next day when we went for a hike south and noticed a dead sea lion in the creek just upstream from where we got our water hurl.gif I think I had the same feelings as Slugman for a long time. Slugman, I've also heard that the Allens Bay trail is very hard to follow from the lake as it has had no maintenance for many years and old bridges are out so make sure you bring your tall boots.

Wherever you go, there you are.......
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Alpendave

Alpendave
PostThu May 26, 2011 6:39 pm 
Makes you wonder how many people have their dogs disappear for a moment only to come running back with a big grin on their faces. And before realizing where the dog had been, give them a big at-a-boy hug only then to realize where the dog went. I know when I was a kid, we had a couple close calls with our german shepherd.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu May 26, 2011 7:30 pm 
mtnwkr on his beach hammock memorial day weekend 2008

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
half fast

half fast
PostThu May 26, 2011 7:38 pm 
Highwalker's Daughter wrote:
...loved Half fast in the hammock - now that's backpacking up.gif...
There was only one catch with that hammock. It was not toooooo bad to get into... it was pretty comfy while in it.... but... it was more than difficult to get out of... rotf.gif ykm.gif rotf.gif (I was glad slugman didn't have his video going when I was trying to get out... winksmile.gif )

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSat May 28, 2011 2:58 pm 
Slugman and Company....I canoed down to the Allens bay trail 14 years ago. It was followable, but a quagmire the whole way. You may wish to bring rubber boots especially if it has been raining recently. ( and when hasn't it.... rant.gif ) It is a great trail though and comes out near Norweigian Memorial which should be part of your itinerary. Good luck and happy hiking!!! p.s. lovely lovely pictures, TR and associated commentary. Make Joe paddle down... biggrin.gif cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
HundsSolo
Baby Step Hiking :o)

HundsSolo
Baby Step Hiking :o)
PostSun May 29, 2011 7:32 am 
Bonfire Pic up.gif What camera did you used?

The Mountains are Calling - I must go and PLAY! If you don't Respect Mother Nature, Mother Nature won't respect you. Wag More and Bark Less smile.gif
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun May 29, 2011 2:05 pm 
Quagmire, eh? huh.gif I'm not big on quagmires..... tongue.gif HS: Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35, 12 mp, 18X zoom, 13 ounces stripped (no battery, lens cap, nothing), 24 ounces as carried by me (includes cap, two batteries, lens hood, polarizing filter, camera case, waterproof cover for case, strap, two smart cards.)

skookum olympus

skookum olympus
PostMon May 30, 2011 9:53 am 
Great TR, and awesome pics! I am left sighing, and wishing I were at the beach right now. I recall once, years ago, hiking down the South Wilderness Beach trail, I encountered what I thought was a log. I was making to step over it, not really looking at it too closely, as the sea stacks were much more interesting. Imagine my shock when that log rolled right around and barked at me! It was only about 10' away, and I nearly hopped right out of my skin! It may be that 'Beach Logs Kill', but I find that Sea Lions can scare one nearly to death. I've only hiked from the Queets as far north as PotA, but not any further north. It seems to me that the coast just keeps getting better as one travels north. Some day I'll get up there.

..... to be whole and harmonious, man must also know the music of the beaches and the woods. He must find the thing of which he is only an infinitesimal part and nurture it and love it, if he is to live. ~Wm. O. Douglas