Forum Index > Trip Reports > Boulder Park Area (Erratica)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon May 30, 2011 1:44 pm 
Location : WNW of Mansfield, Wa. Access / Map : See Washington Gazetteer Wiki Link : Boulder Park Area
Boulder Park Area
Boulder Park Area
I have been around the area of McNeil Canyon, Foster Creek, Mansfield etc..., and spent some time looking at the maps closely, and the words, "Boulder Park" stood out and with all the erratics, and whispers of bigger, heavier concentrations to the NW of Mansfield, it seemed worth investigating. Steve seemed to think so to as a matter of historical and geological necessity, so off we went. The "Erratics" begin far from Boulder Park and are accessible starting off McNeil Canyon Rd. which heads up to the Waterville Plateau from the Northern end of SR 97A and can be seen in all shapes, sizes, and quantities in the general area around Boulder Park, including pockets with large rocks in very huge concentrations to the North and East further. The cool temps and rains have turned this high desert into a vibrant, colorful grass and wildflower wonderland. Truely a fantastic area, and a wonderful hike.
Erradical
Erradical
North end of Boulder Park from Landingham Hill
North end of Boulder Park from Landingham Hill

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon May 30, 2011 1:55 pm 
wildernessed wrote:
Such an amazing place that you are showing us today. This one photo in particular is stunning. Thanks! ~z

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon May 30, 2011 2:13 pm 
Thanks, one thing I noticed up in that area was a lot of lupine, but especially "White Lupine" the air was filled with the fragrance of it.

twodogdad

twodogdad
PostMon May 30, 2011 2:45 pm 
wildernessed wrote:
Stonehenge II and its discoverer! Amazing place. N

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon May 30, 2011 8:44 pm 
I need to visit Stonehenge Niko one kid left to graduate next year, I know Jeanette is ready. I'll have to take a look at that book Janet, Thanks.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon May 30, 2011 9:14 pm 
Turns out there is lots of interesting stuff up on the plateau. Leave it to someone from the midwest to point it out to us. We played Mansfield all the time in high school sports and I never noticed those erratics out the window of the bus! Great TR up.gif up.gif .

mike

mike
PostTue May 31, 2011 10:45 am 
Thanks for the TR. We're going to be in the area next week and plan on hiking Chester Butte and then heading down McNeil Canyon. CB is only about 1/2 day so this would be a perfect place to check out. So looking at your map where exactly did you hike? I thought it was mostly private property. PM if you want.

Z
Erratic

Z
Erratic
PostTue May 31, 2011 4:14 pm 
I was telling Quark to check out Boulder Park several weeks ago (but killed the thread in the process): https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=703484&highlight=#703484 It's always good to see erratic aficionados. I love that whole area up there. Did you make it to the lake?

"Einstein stating that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, is as a blind man stating that nothing can travel faster than the speed of sound" 1979 They don't make years like they used to.
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue May 31, 2011 7:08 pm 
Z wrote:
Did you make it to the lake?
We were close to the lake, but given the time, weather, and the weekend we figured there had to be something going on there, I have some shots I did not post (at least a 100). We conquered Landingham Hill and had a nice overview, there were also areas of concentrations of erratics a ways to the east of Boulder Park.

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostTue May 31, 2011 7:44 pm 
Looks real interesting and out-of-the-way, Rob. up.gif I guess, erratic can be a good thing. eyes.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Z
Erratic

Z
Erratic
PostMon Jun 06, 2011 12:17 pm 
We were up by there on Sat. and checked on Cornehl Lake (no water-skiing hockeygrin.gif ) and Boulder Park. Good sunburn weather. We explored a few of the canyons going down toward the river. Lots more gates than in the old days. Deer, flowers and raptors galore.

"Einstein stating that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, is as a blind man stating that nothing can travel faster than the speed of sound" 1979 They don't make years like they used to.