Forum Index > Food & Grub > Perced coffee
Previous :: Next Topic  
soreyes

soreyes

PostMon Jun 13, 2011 2:12 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
I tried via last year.  Going back to pour over this year.  It's the same way I make it at home, so my trail coffee is the norm.

https://shop.melitta.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=64+007&Cat=

--------------
rebooting
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
mike

mike

PostMon Jun 13, 2011 2:31 pm 
Slugman wrote:
weak or bad coffee is manly, but drinking strong or good coffee is "girlie".

SM, I'm talking about the yuppie pot not the brew. I like good coffee as much or more than the next person and I can make it using "traditional" methods.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Ranger Smith

Ranger Smith

PostMon Jun 13, 2011 3:10 pm 
So these strainer thingies, is it like a fine copper mesh or something? Someone got a name, picture/link, store, I'd like to look at one.

--------------
I'm a man, I can change, if I have to, I guess.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
soreyes

soreyes

PostMon Jun 13, 2011 3:28 pm 
The plastic, one cup pour over that I use can either be used with a plain old #2 paper filter, a mesh filter, or a cloth reusable filter

I generally use the metal mesh filter, but it does leave some silt in the bottom of the cup.  Using the paper filters avoids that.

--------------
rebooting
Ddikenna3

Ddikenna3

PostTue May 21, 2019 7:04 am 
Hi. I know much time has passed but I'd like to share my experience, despite this thread is so old.

This is not likely to be what you want but it's a true story about making good coffee. It goes back maybe 50 years when I was in Boy Scouts.

The method was as follows

1) Fill an empty coffee can about 3/4 full of water.
2) Boil water over an open wood fire.
3) When water is boiling dump in about 1 cup of regular coffee.
4) After the coffee has boiled for a minute or so, remove can from fire.
5) Take a red hot wood stick from the fire and thrust it into the center of the "coffee pot". This will cause the water to boil in the center and create a convection cell with the water rising in the center and falling around the edges.
6) Let the coffee cool briefly, then bang the side of the can with something. This causes the grounds to drop to the bottom.
7) Pour carefully and serve with sugar and instant Starlac milk powder.

If you are worried about exactly how much water, how much coffee, how long to boil, etc. you're not in the right place to be doing this. None of that stuff really matters it's always good.

Never do I remember such good coffee after a cold night on an overnight.

--------------
https://getawaychief.com/backpacking-coffee-maker/
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Oldguy

Oldguy

PostTue May 21, 2019 8:25 am 
I have started using Mount Hagens instant coffee for hiking. It tastes more like coffee than Viva and it sells for under $ 7 for 25 packets on Amazon. Made in Germany.
Pyrites

Pyrites

PostSat May 25, 2019 6:13 pm 
If it is one of the cheapest, lightest weight aluminum percolators, keep it when decide to move onto some other method.

Throwout the guts. Carry your stove in it. Boil water in it. Itís got a great handle. If it gets hot use the piece of flannel you use to prevent rattle for pot holder. All you need for one or two person trips.

Best.
cdestroyer

cdestroyer

PostThu May 30, 2019 6:25 am 
i couldnt taste the difference between anglers choice, via or folgers at home or on the trail. but instante arabica i like, no extra cookware, strainers, packets, just boil water and drop in a teaspoon full of coffee.....its cold in the mornings and i want my coffee NOW...wind don't blow, water don't flow til i has me coffee.
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Food & Grub > Perced coffee
  Happy Birthday Washington Coyote!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: