Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. Townsend in a day!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snowdog

Snowdog
PostMon Jun 06, 2011 11:50 am 
"To start at the very beginning, it's a very good place to start...la,la,la," Headed east on Friday with good bud Shona to enjoy a hike up Dirtyface on our way to Leavenworth, then a nice repast on Gustav's deck with more friends to watch the sun set over Tumwater canyon, up at the crack of dawn for assault on *Frigid Mtn. (which was anything but) *See Midde E's report for that endeavor. After descending Frigid, we broke camp, I caught a ride w/ Middle E back to Seattle. Grabbed a shower, some Thai food, and some sleep. Then, with a fresh partner, we mulled over what to do on this recordbreaking THIRD day of sun, in a row!! Didn't want to head back east & deal with Sunday traffic, or do anything too 'local', 'cause we had all day & lots of daylight. What about the Olympics?? I rarely get over there..... thumbed thru a book, and picked Mt. Townsend. I'd heard how beautiful this was this time of year- flowers galore, etc. Jumped in the car at 9:08, THEN bothered to consult ferry schedule, uhoh- next one was at 9:40! Rolled onto Ferry at 9:39, and it pushed back promptly at 9:40. Auspicious start to the day! biggrin.gif The Olympics always feel so far away, but they really aren't. The drive to Quilcene is only about 20 miles. Then the FS road up to the Trailhead is paved!!('bout 14 miles) Someone explain that to me, not that I'm complaining. agree.gif I did pop into the Ranger station to inquire about current trail conditions. The rangers were full of doom & gloom, assuring me that NO ONE was getting far because there was SO much snow. Why, you couldn't even get to the trailhead yet! They encouraged us to do a low, forest hike instead. Not. cool.gif The trailhead(s) are a bit confusing, and we had old maps with old FS #'s, which didn't help. Go to the 'upper TH(el. 2900'), and you will soon be able to drive the last mile. We had to walk it yesterday. bawl.gif We all love those road walks, now don't we? Only two other cars on this gorgeous day... confused.gif After the previous two days, Isabel didn't have quite the boundless energy she normally exhibits at the start of the day. huh.gif Took us about 30 minutes to get to the official TH. From there it was dirty snow & a tiny bit tricky to follow in spots for the first coupla miles. The stream crossings were not terrible, though one snow bridge won't last long. Just before entering the basin(4600'), I heard a skier below me in the trees- he called out a hello & I replied. He asked if we were on the trail, I said "yeah, I think so." We introduced ourselves, he was going to write a TR on TAY for his trip. Once in the basin, we headed up. Since I'd not been here when it was snowfree, we just figured up was good. Boy it was pretty; not in the flowery June sort of way the book had promised, but in the wintery, but sunny way it actually was.
Rob coming on up
Rob coming on up
We got to Windy camp at 5500' and lo & behold, there was the summer trail again! The ridge is mostly melted out. From there it was a breathtaking ridge walk to the summit. Yeehaw!
views from the Olys are different than Cascades!
views from the Olys are different than Cascades!
nearing the summit
nearing the summit
looking north along the ridge
looking north along the ridge
We basked...Then the real fun began! We took off straight down, not bothering to retrace our ridgewalk. One glissade after another brought us down lickitysplit. Nailed the reentrance to the woods, and hoofed it happily back to the car. 'Bout 5 hours RT.
my by now familiar summit pose
my by now familiar summit pose
magnificent!
magnificent!
Rob on top
Rob on top
Big R off in distance
Big R off in distance
very 'volcanic' summit rock
very 'volcanic' summit rock
lovely ridge walk
lovely ridge walk
looking back up
looking back up
Getting back was a little bit less- seamless.... there had been a Medieval Fair in Port Gamble, and that jugged up the Ferry more than usual on a Sunday. We passed the time chatting up the locals in a watering hole near the ferry dock. Got home about 9pm, a simply great 12 hours. winksmile.gif

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
half fast

half fast
PostMon Jun 06, 2011 12:24 pm 
Thanks for the TR and wonderful photos... up.gif up.gif Looks like a fun day playing in the Olys to me... agree.gif Ancient Ambler and I had talked of doing this on Saturday but we both had to bail and ended up on Deer Ridge Sunday... dizzy.gif I appreciate the conditions update !! Thanks for sharing... biggrin.gif

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast
BarbE

BarbE
PostMon Jun 06, 2011 12:57 pm 
Snowdog wrote:
Then, with a fresh partner, we mulled over that to do on this recordbreaking THIRD day of sun, in a row!!
If you keep it up you're going to wear out all your "fresh partners"! Your energy level is pretty amazing up.gif Thanks for the TR. I wub.gif Townsend. We'll have to go back soon for the flower show.

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen
PostMon Jun 06, 2011 1:02 pm 
BarbE, you stole the words right out of my mouth. I'll add another I wub.gif Mount Townsend. I especially love going from the Dungeness side. In truth, I've never approached Mount Townsend from the usual Quilcene trail. Snowdog, three very nice trips! Way to take advantage of the sun while it lasts. cool.gif

Middle E
no more moustache

Middle E
no more moustache
PostMon Jun 06, 2011 3:15 pm 
Snowdog wrote:
rarely get over there..... thumbed thru a book, and picked Mt. Townsend. I'd heard how beautiful this was this time of year- flowers galore, etc.
What about the flowers? Any rhodies blooming?

pithy yet insightful signature
Highwalker's Daughter

Highwalker's Daughter
PostMon Jun 06, 2011 3:27 pm 
Great way to enjoy the weather we had.

Trail Angel

Trail Angel
PostMon Jun 06, 2011 6:47 pm 
Hmmm, you have me rethinking work tomorrow...

Criminal

Criminal
PostMon Jun 06, 2011 6:48 pm 
That's a beautiful hike that I've done twice, but never with snow. Now I want to but I don't think I'll be able to get back up there before it melts!

Because I am mad about women, I am mad about the hills Said that wild old wicked man, who travels where God wills. - Yeats topohiker.com
kite

kite
PostMon Jun 06, 2011 7:21 pm 
Nice! up.gif up.gif up.gif

tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Jun 06, 2011 9:58 pm 
Yea this is a nice flower hike at the right time. Looks like it may be a few weeks or so before that peak.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostTue Jun 07, 2011 12:06 pm 
Whoops was thinking the other Mt Townsend!!