Forum Index > Food & Grub > 10-Day Wonderland hike - Food questions
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostMon Jun 06, 2011 4:05 pm 
Lots of good stuff here. My thru hiking menu, which would work quite well for a WT trip. - Breakfast: Instant oatmeal with powdered milk. To drink, coffee with an envelope of hot cocoa mix to make a "field expedient" mocha. - Lunch: Dry Italian Salami and cheddar cheese bagel sandwiches. The salami and cheese keep well (although get a little greasy) in even 100 degree heat. Mustard it to taste. Mmmmm. - Dinners: Lipton / Knorr Rice Sides (various flavors). Add Idahoian brand instant mashed potatoes (various flavors), a small pull ring can of chicken and a splash of olive oil. Season as required. Pasta sides also work. I also used the "deluxe" mac and cheese - black pepper and crushed red pepper flakes spice it up nicely. To cook the noodles, put 'em in with cold water, heat to boiling, cut the heat and let stand until done (works with all pasta). On the dinners: My friend makes a killer burrito. She uses the taco or Spanish rice Lipton side as the base, then adds dehydrated beef, refried beans and cheese to it. Cook / rehydrate it and toss it on a tortilla with some hot sauce. Yum. Snacks: nuts of various kinds, a FEW sports bars (~1-2 / day of Cliff, Power, etc), fruit pies, zingers, hard candies. On everything of a similar kind, like bars or the rice sides - have as many different flavors (all of ones you like, of course) as possible. Eating the same rice side day in and day out sucks, as does the same flavor of Cliff or Power bar. Having a different flavor each night is far better. Also, for a short BP trip like the WT, I'd definitely do a few nights of the Mountain House type dinner for the sake of variety. Add instant rice to fill it out to adequate volume. For a WT trip, I'd consider adding a 20 ounce soda bottle (washed out) filled with one's favorite 80 plus proof adult beverage and appropriate mixers. An example is vodka and orange Gatorade powder to make a field expedient screw driver. For the vino lovers, a 1 liter soda / water bottle is an excellent choice to repackage a fine Cab or Merlot into. Not that these are GREAT, but after all, one IS out in the wilderness and compromises must be made. biggrin.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message