Forum Index > Trip Reports > Park Butte LO & Rage Against the Machine(s), June 3-5, 2011
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostTue Jun 07, 2011 9:35 pm 
Like most, I tend to seek out destinations that are wild with silence and solitude, redface.gif but this year’s snowpack seems to be intent on an encore performance, rendering other late-spring goals too “steep & deep”. So Park Butte was it for me, right in the middle sno-mo country. I resolved to be at peace with the bargain; for a sunny weekend on a summit I would just have to suck some fumes and trade away any expectation of quiet. tongue.gif
From the LO window
From the LO window
In a bid to beat the petrol-based recreationists, I left the house at 5a, and parked the truck at 2800’, 2.5 miles from the TH. I was walking by 7a. All was quiet as I skinned upward on the promised wave of high pressure; the drizzle had stopped and the clouds were dissolving away.
Kulshan revealed while inbound
Kulshan revealed while inbound
Tele skis were not necessary since the snow was well-enough consolidated, however, they would make departure day more sporting breakdance.gif . This was likely my last trip on them having just gathered a used A-T outfit (the new Dynafit bindings arrived in the mail Thursday). chickenleg.gif My “winter” route ascended Rocky Creek to about the 4300’ level where I attained the west moraine ridgeline before cornices became a barrier; this also has the added benefit of easing passage over the creek itself, being entirely buried by snow at that point.
Looking up Easton Glacial channel from west moraine
Looking up Easton Glacial channel from west moraine
I then roughly traversed to Morovitz Meadow through old-growth at 4500’. The remaining 900 foot ascent was in the open.
Almost there!
Almost there!
It took 4 hours.
My transport
My transport
That's better!
That's better!
Other than capturing a moonless starscape, a new moon in the west, and spending long periods in indolent fraternization with our local volcano, I wanted to document the winter damaged railing to share with the Forest Service for later repairs (although it was mostly about the indolence part).
New moon in old light over Twin Sisters with the Strait of Georgia reflecting below.
New moon in old light over Twin Sisters with the Strait of Georgia reflecting below.
A visit by the Karate Kid?  Or rammed by an iceberg?
A visit by the Karate Kid? Or rammed by an iceberg?
This is from Park Butte Lookout SW of Mt Baker in WA State
This is from Park Butte Lookout SW of Mt Baker in WA State
Walk the plank!  Something to help with the snow-moat.  Can be withdrawn in case of attack.
Walk the plank! Something to help with the snow-moat. Can be withdrawn in case of attack.
A room with a view.
A room with a view.
Friday was relatively quiet, but by 9:30a on Saturday I could hear the drone of machines in the distance; it had the same effect on me as would a mosquito hovering near my ear. All hell broke loose by 10:30 as machines crossed the Wilderness boundary nono.gif 300m away to park just below the LO. One would have parked right up to the railing had I not been sitting on the snow reading (almost runn’d me over). This went on till 5p, nonstop, posse after posse riding up, smokes & beers…
Parking lot.
Parking lot.
Nice folks though; I enjoyed chatting with most of them. I learned a lot about their machines (2 stroke, 4 stroke, turbo, 5000-$20,000 machines) and why it is such a special area to ride. Some of them are funny without even trying, like those who scream up near-vertical slopes hanging on by a gizzard, under the threat of avalanche, yet skitter around the LO catwalk hugging the walls like acrophobic mice. wink.gif
Park Butte perch
Park Butte perch
Nights were pretty sweet, true darkness only squeezed into the hours between 10:30 and 3:30. I left the door open to Ridley Creek’s distant roar.
Park Butte sunset
Park Butte sunset
After photographing sunset, sunrise, and some of that precious starlit darkness, little time was left for sleep. As described above, siesta was out of the question. (I was a bit sleep-deprived after 3 days & 2 nights of this).
Lookout's single candle power competes with greater Vancouver glow
Lookout's single candle power competes with greater Vancouver glow
Milky Way looking SE, Glacier Peak is lump to the left.   Park Butte Fire LO is a regular stop on my spring Cascadian rounds.  The reasons probably don't need explanation...
Milky Way looking SE, Glacier Peak is lump to the left. Park Butte Fire LO is a regular stop on my spring Cascadian rounds. The reasons probably don't need explanation...
Park Butte Lookout and Kulshan
Park Butte Lookout and Kulshan
The ski out was quite a rollick. I had to wait till about ten so the snow was soft enough. I am not a very accomplished tele-skier, especially with a full pack, so “turns” included some head-over-heels type. My delayed start meant plenty of speeding machines on the way out. It was only threatening on the road section where it was tight quarters. High speed + curvy road+ washboard= their marginal control; mix in a representative from an alternative user-group and you get irritated sledders, sometimes almost ramming into each other while hitting the brakes. Thrilling.
Ptarmigan perch
Ptarmigan perch
View from below after LO was opened up.
View from below after LO was opened up.
So that was it, for 40 hours of silence and fresh air all I had to endure was 6.5 hours of shrieking machines and 2 stroke exhaust gag.gif ; not much worse ( but worse none-the-less) than hanging out on a downtown Seattle street corner at rush-hour. Throw in the spectacular accommodations and call it a deal I say! Here is the promised time-lapse montage (feel free to make motor noises during the sno-mo scenes):
Park Butte time-lapse from David Inscho on Vimeo.

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostTue Jun 07, 2011 9:46 pm 
Spectacular photos!

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Jun 07, 2011 10:02 pm 
Nice captures as usual D. Did you ask any of the sledders why they were inside the wilderness boundary?

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Jun 07, 2011 11:13 pm 
Looks like a nice time, snow machines aside. Great night shots.

peltoms

peltoms
PostWed Jun 08, 2011 5:14 am 
What great views. Was Coors light the beer of choice? Can't wait to get on that trail.

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/
silence

silence
PostWed Jun 08, 2011 6:33 am 
david .. i just looked at all your photos on flickr and commented there .. you answered some of my questions here .. great work .. beautiful images ..

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Bandanabraids
Plodding along

Bandanabraids
Plodding along
PostWed Jun 08, 2011 8:18 am 
I'm jealous! So beautiful up there and your pictures are amazing! I've been looking for an alternate route to get up there, but it looks like I'm just going to have to wait until it melts out a bit more bawl.gif Last year I did it in August and still had to cross two snow fields to get up there.

"Do or do not. There is no try" --Yoda
Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostWed Jun 08, 2011 9:05 am 
Fantastic. up.gif

yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostWed Jun 08, 2011 7:05 pm 
The Milky Way pic is frikken' amazing! Good to see its galactic star haze visible even with city lights off in the distance. You should write the US Forest Service in Sedro-Woolley and tell them about the snowmobiles within the Wilderness boundary.

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Jun 08, 2011 8:03 pm 
Those are great sunset and night photos up.gif Has the Wilderness Boundary been moved up there? The maps show it as right through the lookout so I was wondering...
View larger size in new window

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostWed Jun 08, 2011 8:06 pm 
Fantastic pics. Truly great. The sled-head thing seems to have gotten out of control up there. Does anyone know what entity is responsible for enforcing the boundaries? I'm thinking it's time for some phone calling.

If not now, when?
D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostWed Jun 08, 2011 9:20 pm 
Schroder wrote:
Those are great sunset and night photos up.gif Has the Wilderness Boundary been moved up there? The maps show it as right through the lookout so I was wondering...
Right down the middle you say... that explains the funny feeling I had every time I got out of bed... wink.gif There used to be a Wilderness sign about where the "tt" in Butte is on the map. At first it was partially removed, but I didn't see it at all this trip. In checking my Greentrails I see the boundary roughly follows the USGS, but jags more east to fully include the LO in Wilderness. It's all academic in the end: the sno-mos will come, there will be no enforcement, and the riders will not walk that far from their machines. I did engage a couple of riders when they brought the subject up about poaching other areas; the excuse was that there was little signage. I suggested that personal responsibility and a map go a long way. (Cue crickets and tumbleweeds). Anyway Schroder, thanks for the info and the kindly feedback!

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey
D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostWed Jun 08, 2011 9:28 pm 
Magellan wrote:
Nice captures as usual D. Did you ask any of the sledders why they were inside the wilderness boundary?
Thanks Magellan. No, I didn't ask but found a couple of opportunities to point it out when some asked about boundaries and names of peaks. It seems to go over better. biggrin.gif

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostWed Jun 08, 2011 9:32 pm 
Howdja know? Don't forget the M-boro smokes!

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostWed Jun 08, 2011 9:35 pm 
Bandanabraids wrote:
I'm jealous! So beautiful up there and your pictures are amazing! I've been looking for an alternate route to get up there, but it looks like I'm just going to have to wait until it melts out a bit more bawl.gif Last year I did it in August and still had to cross two snow fields to get up there.
You bet, lotsa snow, but at least the slopes aren't hazardous. Think sledding!