Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Twisp residents indicted on wolf killing charges
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostWed Jun 08, 2011 7:36 pm 
Not to start another wolf thread, but..... Originally posted this afternoon in the Spokane Spokesman -Review, picked up by AP, now in Seattle PI: http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Federal-charges-filed-in-Wash-wolf-poaching-case-1416051.php

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Jun 08, 2011 8:00 pm 
Thanks. It's been years since the wolf carcass mailing incident. Heartbreaking to see the de-listing.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostWed Jun 08, 2011 8:53 pm 
A little more info. from the local paper - Methow Valley News. http://www.methowvalleynews.com/story.php?id=2390 I haven't been able to get to the 'original' Spokesman-Review article. Sad deal all the way around. The Whites have been valuable participants in the community here....

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jun 08, 2011 11:41 pm 
"A FedEx worker in Omak was suspicious of the bloody package and alerted Omak police, who began an investigation. A gray wolf and wolf parts were seized, the indictment said". Definitely NOT the sharpest tools in the shed are they?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostThu Jun 09, 2011 2:50 am 
It was a lot more than one bloody hide in a FedEx package...
Quote:
The 10-page indictment alleges that evidence from e-mails and other sources show that on Jan. 24, 2008, Bill White “and others” were hunting wolves; that in April or May of 2008, Bill White was attempting to trap and kill wolves near his residence; on May 13, 2008, Tom White killed a gray wolf near his property; on Dec. 15, 2008, Tom White killed another gray wolf near his property; on Jan. 4, 2009, Bill White “and others shot several wolves, specifically two wolves in one group of nine and one wolf in another group of three.”

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostThu Jun 09, 2011 8:53 am 
Allison wrote:
Thanks. It's been years since the wolf carcass mailing incident. Heartbreaking to see the de-listing.
Well, they're not de-listed here, only where de-listing makes sense. That's not heart-breaking, it's a success story. Compare that to the recovery of bison and pronghorns, both of which were seriously depleted by market / commercial hunting more than a century ago. We stopped that and went to work on rebuilding the herds. Now they actually have hunting seasons on bison in Montana, and pronghorns all over the west. Whitetail deer...they were seriously depleted but then we took action and saved the herds. Now there are millions of deer, so many that in some states, hunters can take more than one deer. Recovery efforts on bison whitetails and so on...all success stories Elk...ditto Wild turkeys...ditto waterfowl...ditto cougars...ditto Is it not the goal of wolf advocates to have enough wolves to get them de-listed? They claimed that was the goal. Or, am I missing something?

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
MadCapLaughs

MadCapLaughs
PostThu Jun 09, 2011 9:18 am 
jinx'sboy wrote:
The Whites have been valuable participants in the community here....
I certainly don't think its sad that poachers got caught. They are criminals, and I will gladly watch this despicable family go down in flames.

MadCapLaughs

MadCapLaughs
PostThu Jun 09, 2011 9:24 am 
Dave Workman wrote:
it's a success story.
Well, it would have been a success story had delisting occurred because the proper procedure had been followed based on sound science. As it stands, shady political dealings led to the unprecedented delisting that now puts the wolves' well-being in the hands of state governments who openly despise them and wish them eradicated. That is success for cattle barons, hunting outfitters, and conservative politicians perhaps, but not for wolves. On a related note, only 11 total cows and calves have been taken by wolves so far this year in Idaho. They have already begun setting traps in response to one recent incident.

Random Walker
Alpine Indolence

Random Walker
Alpine Indolence
PostThu Jun 09, 2011 10:47 am 
jinx'sboy wrote:
I disagree. For your reading pleasure here is the original warrant and police report (.pdf)

I love the smell of deet in the morning. The smell, you know that deet smell, the whole mountain. Smelled like... victory.
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostThu Jun 09, 2011 11:12 am 
I will withhold forming an opinion on the White's degree of despicableness until I learn their position on the Suiattle Road repair.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Jun 09, 2011 11:33 am 
Random Walker wrote:
jinx'sboy wrote:
I disagree. For your reading pleasure here is the original warrant and police report (.pdf)
That is some fascinating reading into the investigation.

Art is an adventure.
Random Walker
Alpine Indolence

Random Walker
Alpine Indolence
PostThu Jun 09, 2011 11:54 am 
Again for your reading pleasure is the indictment, filed in U.S. District Court in Spokane two days ago..

I love the smell of deet in the morning. The smell, you know that deet smell, the whole mountain. Smelled like... victory.
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Jun 09, 2011 12:59 pm 
very charming family, the Whites

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Jun 09, 2011 1:12 pm 
Dave W: you must know the difference between there being enough wolves for de-listing, and just de-listing because some people wanted it to happen. I am not saying which is it that happened, but please don't pretend that wolf advocates are somehow unhappy about "good news". The de-listing is only good news if it was justified. Some people say it was not justified, thus their unhappiness. (PS: notice how nice and friendly I was?) The White family will have plenty of chances to be "valuable participants in their community" in the future. It seems unlikely to me that they will end up serving long jail terms. Probably a plea deal will be reached, and sentences of a couple years or less handed out, then less than that actually served. That's the way things usually go, anyway.

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostFri Jun 10, 2011 12:33 pm 
Slugman wrote:
Dave W: you must know the difference between there being enough wolves for de-listing, and just de-listing because some people wanted it to happen. I am not saying which is it that happened, but please don't pretend that wolf advocates are somehow unhappy about "good news". The de-listing is only good news if it was justified. Some people say it was not justified, thus their unhappiness. (PS: notice how nice and friendly I was?)
Yeah, I noted that, even it if seemed a tad sarcastic. Right now, from what I understand, the wolf populations in Idaho and Montana are well above the targeted level, so why not de-list them? If groups are going to work together on this, they need to trust one another, and trying to perpetuate a listing on the ESL when it's not necessary doesn't contribute to the trust thing at all. Congress did what it did for a pretty good reason, IMHO...federal bureaucrats haven't been entirely square with states on the wolf issue, and wolf advocates trying to keep this tied up in court forever really pi$$ed them off. It's not good for elk, deer or wolves when this kind of game-playing occurs. Instead of cooperation, you get backlash.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence