Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Twisp residents indicted on wolf killing charges
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RickS

RickS
PostMon Jul 23, 2012 12:47 pm 
The Whites deserve jail time. up.gif up.gif up.gif When you poach, you should never be allowed to hunt again and you should have your guns taken away from you. up.gif up.gif up.gif
harrymalamute wrote:
RickS
Quote:
A poacher doesn't stop poaching. He will continue to do it. up.gif up.gif up.gif
emo statement, show us some historical facts that after someone has been busted poaching they continue. As far as penalty I like some of the Scandinavian models of monetary penalties based on your income. exp. if you make $ 10,000 a year and speed you pay $100bucks, if your a billionaire you'd pay $ 50,000 bucks for the same ticket. reduced prison costs and the money goes back to support social infrastructure. or in the wolf case use the money the offender pays to "manage" wolves. Why would we want to pay $ 50,000 yr to incarcerate somebody with tax dollars ( someone who is not likely to be a safety issue) so RickS can feel warm & fuzzy that the demon wolf killer goes to jail and stops completely contributing to society. he can't pay the fines (that could help the wolf) if he's sitting in jail. For the prison minded crowd he'll go to jail if he doesn't pay the fines. that should make you feel better. Humans learn better paying from the ass than with their ass. hockeygrin.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Klapton

Klapton
PostMon Jul 23, 2012 12:59 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
They are now convicted felons. They cannot legally possess firearms. Any hunting they do will have to be done with a bow. Success is hard to come by with a bow.
Carrying one for protection is also problematic. My biggest problem with disarming non-violent "felons" is that it puts them at the mercy of violent ones by depriving them of their fundamental right to self-defense.

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostMon Jul 23, 2012 3:10 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
They are now convicted felons. They cannot legally possess firearms.
Well, partly true. Bill took the major fall in the plea and Tom was let off with a misdemeanor. So he can be back hunting with a gun in 5 years. Kind of strange since he was equally or more at fault by the evidence.
Quote:
In U.S. District Court in last week, Bill White pleaded guilty to three charges, including conspiracy to take an endangered species and conspiracy to export endangered species, both misdemeanors. The third count, unlawful importation of wildlife, is a felony, and means that White will lose the right to own a gun. Tom White pleaded guilty last week in U.S. District Court to two misdemeanor counts of killing endangered gray wolves in May and December of 2008.

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostMon Jul 23, 2012 3:41 pm 
My hunting experience is in Texas mostly and I lived there for 30+ years. I started thinking about how endangered species cases were handled there, a state about as hunting oriented as any and a state where most everyone owns guns. There was no reluctance there to give jail time to those who killed endangered whooping cranes, even in the 1989 case where the shooter turned himself in. • 1991: A Texas man kills a whooping crane on a dare and buries the evidence. Sentence: 60 days in jail, $15,000 fine, $8,100 restitution. His companion, who made the dare, gets 20 days in jail. • 1989: A Texas lawyer shoots a whooping crane hen that had just arrived from Canada with her first chick. He says he thought the crane was another bird less than a third the size of the whooping crane. Fine: $15,000 plus $6,480 restitution. • A Dallas man who pleaded guilty to federal charges surrounding the killing of a whooping crane, protected as an endangered species by federal and state law, will spend six months in prison and faces more than $10,000 in fines. Dallas federal Judge Jerry Buchmeyer on May 14 sentenced Donald W. Jones to six months in federal prison, levied a $2,000 fine and prohibited Jones from hunting again in the United States.

Doppelganger

Doppelganger
PostMon Jul 23, 2012 3:45 pm 

Back to top Reply to topic
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Jul 23, 2012 5:01 pm 
Doppelganger wrote:
Not much sympathy here. When you say things like "I'm just sick and tired of it" instead of "I've thought about it and I'm sorry I did the wrong thing", it's a pretty clear indicator that you aren't going to learn or change.
Yes. I think everyone here would agree those who carry firearms also take on some important associated responsibilities. I'm not at all troubled by someone's losing that right after demonstrating through both action as well as subsequent statements that they are just not clear on those responsiblities.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jul 23, 2012 5:02 pm 
They execute a lot of people in Texas too. We are not Texas, thank goodness! Why should it matter that somebody apologizes? It would just be a fake one. I'm not defending their actions, just that an apology really would mean nothing. If anything, they are now also known to be stupid. Who in their right mind would MAIL a fresh wolf pelt?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Jul 23, 2012 5:38 pm 
Yes, an apology may well be faked. But at minimum, it would indicate that the person understands what others see as the relevant social norms. Versus these statements that seem to indicate that they see this as a case of the government simply being an awful pain in their butt, as if the court would understand and possibly even sympathize (which in this case it almost seems was true...).

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostMon Jul 23, 2012 6:07 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
We are not Texas, thank goodness!
Eastern WA is a lot more like Texas then you realize. clown.gif

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostTue Jul 24, 2012 5:19 am 
There is alot of distaste for the wolves in the Methow Valley by the locals. People get tired of mismanagement of wildlife in the area and to watch their local deer population eaten alive in front of them leaves a bad taste. To have their livestock and pets killed just doesn't set well. But the USFW has made a decision that they will have to live with.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jul 24, 2012 7:07 am 
BeyondLost wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
We are not Texas, thank goodness!
Eastern WA is a lot more like Texas then you realize. clown.gif
Glad my dad is dead and can't hear that. He'd be insulted. But, I'm not even though I grew up on the east side of the mountains. Whatever.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
B+L

B+L
PostTue Jul 24, 2012 7:58 am 
Sky Hiker wrote:
There is alot of distaste for the wolves in the Methow Valley by the locals.
We have family in the valley and we read the local news and forums regularly. Two or three vocal cranks does not equal "the locals".

Doppelganger

Doppelganger
PostTue Jul 24, 2012 9:20 am 

Back to top Reply to topic
timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Jul 25, 2012 6:11 am 
Sky Hiker wrote:
Your very right there Sky, living in the valley, people are tired of all the talk and pretty much tired of the wolves.

RickS

RickS
PostWed Jul 25, 2012 7:43 am 
When he says locals, he means the hunters and ranchers. Hunters and ranchers tend to be the ones that hate wolves or any other natural predator that eats other animals for their survival.
B+L wrote:
Sky Hiker wrote:
We have family in the valley and we read the local news and forums regularly. Two or three vocal cranks does not equal "the locals".