Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Twisp residents indicted on wolf killing charges
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Jun 10, 2011 4:02 pm 
I have no opinion on the details of de-listing, because I lack the specific knowledge I would need to have a meaningful opinion. Sorry about the hint of sarcasm. I am making a real effort to stay within forum rules from now on. I see nothing in them about being a "tad sarcastic....". suuure.gif Whoops, I'm doing it again..... embarassedlaugh.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Jun 10, 2011 4:15 pm 
you are a character sluggo. it will be good to see you again at the next outing.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Jun 10, 2011 6:25 pm 
Back at you, my friend. biggrin.gif From now on, everyone will be treated as if I care about them personally. Because I do. headrub.gif

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostSat Jun 11, 2011 5:41 am 
DW,
Quote:
Right now, from what I understand, the wolf populations in Idaho and Montana are well above the targeted level, so why not de-list them?
Because there are many ways to control wolves without the de-listing!Both the Basin Butte and Hog Heaven packs were exterminated by Wildlife Services while under the ESA. I have an in-law in the Stanley Basin where the Basin Butte pack lived and one wealthy rancher was able to call in the gunship/helos for that whole pack. Tom

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostSat Jun 11, 2011 7:54 am 
tmatlack wrote:
DW,
tmatlack wrote:
Because there are many ways to control wolves without the de-listing!Both the Basin Butte and Hog Heaven packs were exterminated by Wildlife Services while under the ESA. I have an in-law in the Stanley Basin where the Basin Butte pack lived and one wealthy rancher was able to call in the gunship/helos for that whole pack. Tom
Tom, I think you just cracked your own code and you didn't realize it. The USFWS came in and gunned those animals from a chopper because a rancher complained. De-list those animals, turn the management of those wolves over to the state. If the state management plan calls for a controlled hunt (emphasis on "controlled") then the pack will be thinned, not exterminated. Montana and Idaho closed the hunts when the quotas were reached. Nobody practiced biological genocide. That's the difference between state and federal management. State management can, if allowed to, use a scalpel where the feds simply come in and declare total war. You put a hunting season on something, I guarantee hunters will make damn sure there are huntable populations and then some. You simply give the feds sole authority and they simply wield brute force. It's simple. Really. If you think keeping wolves on the ESL makes them safe, re-read your own post.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Jun 11, 2011 9:05 am 
Can we stay on topic? This topic was about a poaching incident. There is another topic to debate wolf de-listing, hunting, etc.

rasbo

rasbo
PostSun Jun 12, 2011 6:19 am 
as a hunter, I hope they receive a harsh sentence if found guilty..I have little respect for the likes of these guys as well as the PETA types that break laws.The nut cases on both sides of these debates hurt their cause in my mind..

sooperfly

sooperfly
PostThu Jul 12, 2012 9:49 am 
n16ht5

n16ht5
PostFri Jul 13, 2012 6:23 am 
Thank you for the common sense posts Dave. Ask any farmer/rancher over there how they like the wolves. This story is not surprising... There are more poachers than you think out there sadly. Low lifes shakehead.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jul 13, 2012 11:58 am 
Im not certain how I feel about these sentences. In general Id like to see stronger penalties in wildlife cases.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Klapton

Klapton
PostSun Jul 15, 2012 6:52 am 
Quote:
As a convicted felon White, who was previously a hunter safety instructor, will also lose the right to ever own a gun.
This is probably the harshest part of this sentence. For you city folk, this is kinda like prohibiting you from ever having a latte again.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Jul 15, 2012 9:08 am 
Bogus. They should have gone to jail.

RickS

RickS
PostSun Jul 15, 2012 6:10 pm 
These poaching scum should have received long jail sentences. up.gif up.gif up.gif

RickS

RickS
PostMon Jul 16, 2012 10:12 am 
MadCapLaughs

MadCapLaughs
PostMon Jul 16, 2012 9:47 pm 
Agreed. How can these laws be taken seriously when even the most egregious cases like this one receive only a fine? 'Tis bullsh##.