Forum Index > Food & Grub > my new favorite hiking food
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mepokeu

mepokeu
PostFri Jun 10, 2011 10:14 pm 
kimbap They sell it for 1,000 won for one roll in South Korea. Three rolls was enough for 3 people for lunch. 1,000 won = about 80 cents its soooo delicious and you can eat it with just your hands here is a link if you want to learn how to make it http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/07/how-to-make-kimbap-korean-sushi-recipe.html

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bandanabraids
Plodding along

Bandanabraids
Plodding along
PostSat Jun 11, 2011 8:07 am 
That's a good idea! There's something about easy to eat compact food. I was thinking about packing myself a bento box next time I go on a day hike. I can make bento a more balanced meal with protein, grain, fruit/vegetable and I can make it without preservatives--all packed into a nice little compact space! It might be a little extra weight, but would be worth it and take up very little space in my pack. For a long time, I was under the impression that sushi always contained raw fish and I had gotten sick from that once. Now I know better. You can put anything in a sushi roll and when you make them yourself, your friends will be impressed (at least mine were) up.gif

"Do or do not. There is no try" --Yoda
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostSat Jun 11, 2011 9:27 am 
You can get those rolls for pretty cheap at Uwajimaya and not so cheap at Whole Foods. They are very filling. I've never been able to finish a whole one. But they are VERY tasty and no fish in them to go bad so they pack well.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Altitude Junkie

Altitude Junkie
PostSat Jun 11, 2011 10:39 am 
New Seasons has similar stuff but you're right, it would be much cheaper to make them yourself. I've always wanted to learn. I love the salty taste of seaweed, especially dulse. AJ

99blkx

99blkx
PostSat Jun 11, 2011 12:45 pm 
I will definitely try this. It's interesting to me that it just says to use cooked rice and not sticky rice. Making and dealing with sticky rice was always my least favorite part the few times I've made sushi. Make sure you have a sharp knife!

Living in the dumpster now... AKA Everett. I'm novice but hope to keep exploring in my 2nd year in the PNW. Time to buy new tires for the Jeep and find some new trails for the feet...
Bandanabraids
Plodding along

Bandanabraids
Plodding along
PostSat Jun 11, 2011 7:18 pm 
I'm surprised that the recipe calls for short grain rice. I make my sushi rice with medium-grain Japanese rice cooked with kombu seaweed in the pot. When it's done I put sushi vinegar on it and that's what makes it sticky and glossy. But, hey if it works and is super yummy, well then who cares biggrin.gif I am definitely making me some trail sushi next time I go for a day hike up.gif This thread has opened up so many more possibilities for trail lunches for me. Now I just need a day off to go on a dang hike!

"Do or do not. There is no try" --Yoda
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu Jun 23, 2011 9:27 pm 
yummy for sure! i may just take some along on a future hike. wow, 80 cents up.gif here's my thread about my sushi lesson

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
reststep

reststep
PostThu Jun 23, 2011 10:00 pm 
Spam musubi might be good on a hike also.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir

PostMon Aug 29, 2011 4:18 pm 
At Costco, I just found Nature's Path organic toaster pastries. Think pop tarts without the artificial stuff. I don't like sweets and don't eat pop tarts. I just tasted one and these are fantastic. It isn't too sweet which is a bonus. I probably won't eat these except for backpacking trips. Each wrapped pack weighs 1.833 ounces and has roughly 400 calories per pack. It was about $7-$8 for 18 wrapped packages with 2 pastries in each pack.