Forum Index > Trip Reports > return to camp handy-cap, then heather creek ONF 6.11.2011
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Jun 12, 2011 9:21 pm 
last time i was at camp handy-cap i was doing this... hurl.gif hurl.gif hurl.gif i was a bit worried if maybe the area may bring back memories of upchucking....i held my ground and held in my breakfast! biggrin.gif btw: i am being forced to write this trip report! tongue.gif Ancient Ambler and omg lurker, Debbie, joined the omg for this beautiful hike along the upper Dungeness River. this will be my first hike with AA. i thought i better behave myself and omit usage of colorful words like curse.gif @#$% but that lasted a nano second embarassedlaugh.gif
doing the hokey pokey badly
doing the hokey pokey badly
dungeness river
dungeness river
the chatter of the dungeness river at times seemed deafening and in about 1 mile, we reach the bridge that crosses royal creek. the rhodies are still a ways before blooming. the trail is in great shape although there was a section where water was 'flowing' like a very small stream. soon we will reach another bridge over the dungeness river.
rhodies along the trail
rhodies along the trail
water on trail
water on trail
debbie crossing the dungeness river
debbie crossing the dungeness river
dungeness river
dungeness river
bobbi's dungy boulder
bobbi's dungy boulder
after about 3ish miles, we reach the side trail towards camp handy. the shelter was surrounded by maybe a scout group. i'm sure it would be a noisy place later. we took another way trail that one can access to head towards goat lake but we only went as far as where a log bridge crossed the dungeness. it was lunch time hungry.gif
side trail
side trail
envasion of camp handy
envasion of camp handy
dungeness river
dungeness river
zoom in of a peak
zoom in of a peak
this next photo is where i started experiencing my vertigo the last time i was at camp handy. that log was closer to the rocky side then. it was also the same log that i managed to hang on to as the world twirled and twirled breakdance.gif around me while waiting for someone to come save my sorry body. not fun hurl.gif hurl.gif
vertigo site
vertigo site
the adventure highlight (well for me anyway) should you choose to believe it, had to be the creek crossings. there were several along the trail and i am using my height as a huge handicap! rant.gif Ancient Ambler and nwhiker lurker, Neil, cross the creeks effortlessly. unsure who was worse in creek crossing, debbie or me. i vote debbie! smile.gif part of our problem is the idea of getting our shoes wet. for pity sake, we are wearing waterproof boots shakehead.gif thanks all for helping at the creek crossings! team work up.gif
after lunch, we headed towards heather creek. in about .3 miles from camp handy, take a 'way trail' on the right for another 1.7 miles, i think. if you stay left, you'll head towards marmot pass/boulder shelter. anyway, what a cool trail. several 'natural meadows'. at this meadow AA notices someone he knew so we head on over and they chitchatted for a bit.
then i headed off on a path that led to nowhere shakehead.gif well, AA found what looked like an old trail and we managed with the 'help' from my gps, to connect to the main trail. the side trip led us to yet another sweet meadow that hunters use as their camp. along the trail and across the way, is a big avalanche chute. we spotted some deer just enjoying themselves.
avalanche chute
avalanche chute
deer deer deer
deer deer deer
beautiful! we crossed the bridge, had a snack, and relaxed for a bit. there were some patches of snow off trail here.
bridge
bridge
bridge
bridge
snow patch
snow patch
time to say goodbye to heather creek and head back to reality frown.gif then weirdness happened at another 'meadow'. eek.gif first debbie started taking a piece of clothing off, followed by nwhiker lurker, Lisa! i was stunned beyond words. paranoid.gif i managed to get my camera out in time to take this photo of nwhiker, N, twirling and twirling around the meadow and .........well, time for you to use your imagination
let me know if you experience this should you decide to hike this trail. still stunned, the group decided to name the meadow, strip meadow! we made a bee line to the trailhead. see the trees in this photo? that's where the main trail leads towards heather creek. this photo was taken on our way out after strip meadow!
we finally made it back to the junction and decided to take a photo of us being normal after the weirdness at strip meadow. this may be our last hike with Ancient Ambler who was a witness to you know what wink.gif
we are normal :paranoid:
we are normal paranoid.gif
nwhikerlurkerN, AA, and i quickly headed out..well, mostly for AA's sake because he had a dinner date with his wife and friends and time was ticking. when we got to the bridge across Royal Creek, AA said goodbye and continued alone while N and i waited for the others. hmmm.gif maybe he just wanted to get away from you know ...... embarassedlaugh.gif
heading back across the dungeness
heading back across the dungeness
that's it! thanks all.....i do hope AA will join the omg for another hike agree.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSun Jun 12, 2011 9:30 pm 
Glad this trip went better for you than the last one, Bobbi! It looks beautiful!

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
onemoremile

onemoremile
PostSun Jun 12, 2011 10:33 pm 
up.gif Looks and sounds like it was a great time. Lots of bears down in that area right now, surprised you didn't see any.

“Arbolist? Look up the word. I don’t know, maybe I made it up. Anyway, it’s an arbo-tree-ist, somebody who knows about trees.” G.W. Bush
half fast

half fast
PostSun Jun 12, 2011 10:41 pm 
We all were quite happy bobbi did not have a repeat experience off her last time at Camp Handy... embarassedlaugh.gif (Great job on the TR bobbi, even though you were forced to write it... rotf.gif ) I had not been to Camp Handy and beyond to Heather Creek... What at beautiful hike... up.gif up.gif ...lots of forest walking and very little elevation. Car to car was 11.9 miles... a nice stretch of the legs !! The highlights were the creek crossings, the meadows, the wonderful river sounds almost the entire way... and... most important, the great company... biggrin.gif My photo contributions for the day:
at the TH... ok... there might be a couple of hams in our group... Lisa, Debbie, bobbi, half fast, Neil and Ancient Ambler
at the TH... ok... there might be a couple of hams in our group... Lisa, Debbie, bobbi, half fast, Neil and Ancient Ambler
Off we go...
wonderful forest walk with Royal Creek serenading along the way...
wonderful forest walk with Royal Creek serenading along the way...
Royal Creek bridge... take a left to head to Camp Handy
Royal Creek bridge... take a left to head to Camp Handy
Dungeness River bridge...
Dungeness River bridge...
beautiful meadow and ridge
beautiful meadow and ridge
avalanche chute and one of the several meadows we came too
avalanche chute and one of the several meadows we came too
heading to Heather Creek
heading to Heather Creek
Our turn around point...
new bridge at Heather Creek... thank you RodF and gang !!
new bridge at Heather Creek... thank you RodF and gang !!
And a final good bye for the day...
saying goodbye to Royal Creek
saying goodbye to Royal Creek
What a great day !! Always fun to hike with the whole gang and great to hike with Ancient Ambler and Debbie again too !! Thank you everyone for another great adventure in the Olys... biggrin.gif FUN: 100%

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast
Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostMon Jun 13, 2011 7:03 am 
I was very happy to receive an invite from half fast to participate in another hike in the Olympic Mountains with him and an undetermined number of fellow Olympic Mountain Gang members. I had the slight problem of already having a dinner commitment for 6PM that day but figured I could peel out early if need be, race down the trail and make it home in time. The trip to the TH featured threatening, gray sky and dense fog all the way up to the TH parking lot. Big bonus: Olympic National Forest has graded the road all the way and has also removed the rock slide that up until this week presented a challenge to some passenger cars. Now you can fire up your butt-dragging low-rider pickup and race up to the Dungeness TH. Upon reaching the TH, the sun began to appear. Only a few cars at the massive TH parking lot. Nobody camped at the riverside campsites either.
TH parking lot
TH parking lot
Dungeness River at bridge by TH
Dungeness River at bridge by TH
Dungeness at TH bridge
Dungeness at TH bridge
empty camp sites near TH
empty camp sites near TH
The Olympic Mountain Gang arrived bright and early around 10:30 and we were soon underway up the trail. I was waiting expectantly for the unending stream of profanities for which Bobbi is notorious, but while she was irrepressibly exuberant, nary an off-color word did I hear. What's up with this, I'm wondering? We might as well be in church, for all the off-color language I was hearing. We took a break and stood chatting on the log bridge across Royal Creek, and the truth began to emerge. Bobbi was fighting a valiant fight to keep the cuss words down, but she just could not repress a vulgar gesture, or was it a Gang hand-signal?, while chatting with Lurker Neil. I'd like to say the rest of the trip up to Heather Creek would put the cussing achievements of a gang of drunken sailors to shame, but no, Bobbi continued to restrain herself. I was sad to learn upon reading her excellent TR above that she was trying to tone it down for me. Where's the fun in that? We had a great trip up the Dungeness and Heather Creek, treated to off and on blue sky, but thankfully no rain at all.
Royal Creek from log bridge
Royal Creek from log bridge
sun-dappled forest trail
sun-dappled forest trail
hikers on Dungeness trail
hikers on Dungeness trail
Dungeness from bridge below Camp Handy
Dungeness from bridge below Camp Handy
Happy hikers on Dungeness foot bridge
Happy hikers on Dungeness foot bridge
Bobbi's successful creek crossing
Bobbi's successful creek crossing
Camp Handy
Camp Handy
Heather Creek meadow 1
Heather Creek meadow 1
Heather Creek meadow 2
Heather Creek meadow 2
Heather Creek meadow 3
Heather Creek meadow 3
Heather Creek meadow 4
Heather Creek meadow 4
More Heather Creek meadows
More Heather Creek meadows
Wildlife watchers
Wildlife watchers
bridge across Heather Creek
bridge across Heather Creek
hikers crossing Heather Creek bridge
hikers crossing Heather Creek bridge
Farewell, Heather Creek!
Farewell, Heather Creek!
Had a great time with the Olympic Mountain Gang, especially in Strip Meadow. Gotta be heading back up that way again before too long. Only regret was leaving the group early to race down the final mile in 15 minutes in a vain attempt to get home on time. A major accident on 101 by Fat Smitty's and a Hood Canal Bridge opeing backup made sure I was signficantly late. A small price to pay for another great day in the Olympics with the fantastic Olympic Mountain Gang.

kite

kite
PostMon Jun 13, 2011 7:08 am 
I just think I might have to go visit camp handy with all the fun it looks your having it must be a cool hike....

FungiFan

FungiFan
PostMon Jun 13, 2011 8:28 pm 
Last year vertigo. This year stripping. Must be something going on up in that valley eek.gif . Is it the water? The air? Thanks for the TR. FF

Stupid isn't illegal...but sure comes with consequences. Famous last words: 'Here, hold my beer and watch this.'
Phil

Phil
PostMon Jun 13, 2011 8:30 pm 
Wow, extraordinary meadows.... never knew those were there!

furthur
Berry Bagger

furthur
Berry Bagger
PostTue Jun 14, 2011 4:45 am 
What exactly are you all carrying in your water bottles? Is your morning meet-up site a bar by any chance? The twirlies, confused orientation, and the urge to disrobe are more commonly observed at last call. I'm beginning to suspect one component of the 100% fun formula. Whatever...keep it up!

"You're either on the bus or off the bus." Kesey
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Jun 14, 2011 7:43 am 
Did you ever find out what caused the vertigo? I rarely (thank god) have vertigo migraines - it took 2 MRI's and a Neurologist to tell me that I wasn't dying....... Glad you had an awesome trip this time...you freaks biggrin.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
half fast

half fast
PostTue Jun 14, 2011 4:57 pm 
FungiFan wrote:
...Last year vertigo. This year stripping. Must be something going on up in that valley . Is it the water? The air?...
rotf.gif ykm.gif rotf.gif ykm.gif FungiFan.... I wish I could say that it is the water or the air in that valley... embarassedlaugh.gif
furthur wrote:
...What exactly are you all carrying in your water bottles?...
rotf.gif ykm.gif rotf.gif ykm.gif furthur.... We will NEVER tell... winksmile.gif What can I say... Our motto is.... It is all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate... and... we always have lots of both... biggrin.gif

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostTue Jun 14, 2011 8:37 pm 
thanks half fast and AA for your TR contributions. biggrin.gif gees, are we really going to keep the 'strip meadow story' mum? mum.gif what happens in the strip meadow, stays in the strip meadow! embarassedlaugh.gif AA..... curse.gif i promise to be 'louder' instead of the 'omg sign'lol.gif fun=chocolate=omg! up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostTue Jun 14, 2011 9:49 pm 
sarbar wrote:
Did you ever find out what caused the vertigo? I rarely (thank god) have vertigo migraines - it took 2 MRI's and a Neurologist to tell me that I wasn't dying....... Glad you had an awesome trip this time...you freaks biggrin.gif
positional vertigo ~ no scary episodes since camp handy-cap! up.gif also, no migraines associated with the vertigo i experience then and other times. thanks......it was an awesome time! the short 'freak' lol.gif