Forum Index > Trip Reports > Laughingwater Creek Trail MRNP 6-27-11
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostTue Jun 28, 2011 7:58 am 
This was a new trail for me, finally something new in the park. The goal was to get to the 3 lakes camp, reports said 60% still snow on trail and lots of trees down. The trail is open to horses but I didn't see any or any people. First thing I did notice was how beautiful and quiet and inviting it was. The trail has very long switchback making for easy hiking.
There were warm breezes at times and cool one's just when I need them. I felt like I was making good time going up and 6 miles would be no problem up and then down. I reached the big pond which is 1.5 in from my books in about an hour.
It was nice but hard to get around the shore and get a good pic. Back on the trail the blow downs came more frequently.
This would be my turn around time 3 hours up and I didn't reach the camp, bummer but that means I'll just have to go back. I guessed I got somewhere around 4-5 mile mark, not that it matters. I was just loving the day! This little guy was doing some kind of dance for me with his tail, reminded me of a discovery channel event and I was the star!
I looked and looked for bears I just got this tree one had sharpened his nails on
I loved this area and might attept something again here in the future with some overnight stays.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostTue Jun 28, 2011 8:11 am 
lol.gif rotf.gif ykm.gif embarassedlaugh.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Bandanabraids
Plodding along

Bandanabraids
Plodding along
PostTue Jun 28, 2011 8:20 am 
Beautiful! We're going to be camping in that area in a week and a half--might just have to check that trail out! Great TR:-)

"Do or do not. There is no try" --Yoda
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Jun 28, 2011 8:20 am 
Three Lakes isn't a destination place, but it's great on a foggy, cool day when there aren't bugs. The lakelet you got to is about what Three Lakes looks like - swampy on the edges. I can't imagine how buggy it must be during bug season. We were there 2 summers ago, late in the season, on a rainy, foggy weekend. We werent bothered by bugs for the most part, but on a sunny summer day with 3 swamps .... bug.gif bug.gif bug.gif Laughingwater trail is a horseable trail to the PCT - if you go to 3 Lakes - (best in swirling fog, very nice when we were there) the draw is the PCT up a bit. Nice, flowery, roam. I will say that the Laughingwater trail has among the biggest stands of huge Alaskan Yellow Cedars! I really, really enjoyed the trail that day.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
kite

kite
PostTue Jun 28, 2011 8:55 am 
one of my favorite trails, glad to see the snow is melting.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Jun 28, 2011 11:05 am 
That is the cabin from 2008, just below as we were walking away.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.