Forum Index > Trip Reports > Alvord Desert, Hot springs, & Steens Mtn; June 15-21, 2011
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Jun 26, 2011 11:27 am 
That is heartbreaking!

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostMon Jun 27, 2011 4:21 pm 
Thanks to everyone. Your comments are a chance to enjoy the trip all over again. I've posted the next segment (added to body of report). Sorry Allison, I did not make it to Mickey, nor did I try a milkshake At Fields Junction (I was strangely off my feed).

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey
marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostTue Jun 28, 2011 9:09 am 
Excellent report. Your pictures really show the beauty of the harsh desert and tell the story so well. BTW, the flower is an evening primrose - Oenothera. I'm not certain which one. They are really bring the sand alive.

coho

coho
PostTue Jun 28, 2011 11:56 am 
Hey nice report. I was just down there too! I left on the 15th, stayed a couple days at Coyote lake, then spent the following week up in the Owyhee Canyons. I will try to post up a TR too.

Lakes&Summits

Lakes&Summits
PostTue Jun 28, 2011 10:20 pm 
Finally had a chance to enjoy this, David. You've outdone yourself (again). How many days does one need to make this trip? The photos of the foxes in barbed wire and shot-up signs were disturbing but well captured. As always. Great report.

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostWed Jun 29, 2011 9:20 pm 
Lakes&Summits wrote:
Finally had a chance to enjoy this, David. You've outdone yourself (again). How many days does one need to make this trip? The photos of the foxes in barbed wire and shot-up signs were disturbing but well captured. As always. Great report.
Thanks Linda. Even disregarding the considerable drive, I would give it at least a week given all the tasty goodies to sample from in the area; and let's not forget that it can be a refuge from abundant Puget vapors at certain times of the year cool.gif (and thems "varmint" coyotes on the fence; good sportin' fun for some) I think the display says a lot about the "sportsmen". up.gif up.gif Marta, thanks for the desert flower id; I love learning about the areas we wander in.

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey
veronika

veronika
PostWed Jun 29, 2011 9:53 pm 
up.gif x10! Very awesome!

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
wheezer

wheezer
PostFri Jul 01, 2011 2:53 pm 
Great trip report and pictures. I'm envious! Before I moved to Chicago I used to make a pilgramage to the Steens every Spring. As for Borax Lake, the road is easy to find if you know the right landmark. As you drive north from Fields, look for a grove of trees just east of the road. Turn when you see them and the road will take you right to the Lake. There are a couple more nice soaking hot springs in the area as well - Mickey, Willow Creek and Bogue hot springs. Guess you'll have to go back again!

alpinelakes

alpinelakes
PostFri Jul 01, 2011 3:52 pm 
Nice report, great pictures. Thanks for posting.

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostFri Jul 08, 2011 9:45 pm 
Bump See Stage III posted in body of report... I'm very excited to share the final segment of the Oregon High Desert series; the video montage hopefully captures the pace, energy, and dynamism of the Alvord landscape. Certainly the trailer-cam segments were great fun.... Be sure to check out the final segment, but here is the summary video:
Alvord Desert from David Inscho on Vimeo.

bdrkayaker

bdrkayaker
PostSat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm 
Scrooge wrote:
Earth & sky
Earth & sky
That is an awesome picture! Great trip up.gif

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse