Forum Index > Trip Reports > Virgin Lake snow/rain camping 7/7-7/8
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sultan Guy

Sultan Guy
PostFri Jul 08, 2011 3:10 pm 
I have two teenage boys who live with their Mom 11 months of the year but come stay with me in July each summer. I always try and get them out for as much hiking, kayaking, camping, etc. They sometimes call it Dad's Boot Camp. smile.gif Last year we ended up on a pretty arduous (for them) two night trip so this year they were adamant about only wanting a low mileage one night trip. Kids these days get too soft with all the electronics and social media crap-IMO. I was thinking that a quick trip up to Virgin Lake area would be good and easy. Explore around in the evening or morning out the ridge. I expected that we would find snow patches but really thought that out on the open meadows we would find snowfree areas due to wind and more sun. The weather forecast was less then ideal but hey...this is Dad's Boot Camp so march onward and upward! We hit snow patches around 3,200 and solid snow at 3,600 feet. I was amazed at how deep the snow was at 4,000 feet. Estimated at 3-5 feet still! Kept going up the trail as the weather deteriorated rapidly. The large meadows on top of the ridge were buried everywhere under 5-8 feet of snow. Impressive for this late in the summer. I have been at this ridge on Memorial Day and had just a small amount of snow.
Point 5,845 on ascent
Point 5,845 on ascent
Frozen Virgin Lake-July 7th
Frozen Virgin Lake-July 7th
Storm moving in!
Storm moving in!
We were out of water and there was not a drop to drink anywhere. A storm started blowing in with cold wind and wet fog which turned to an even colder drizzle. We quickly set up camp on the snow. Found a tiny little place to cook and melt snow for water. That night the wind picked up and it rained hard at times. Temperature dropped into the upper 30's. Good training for these guys! up.gif
Campsite at 4,700 feet
Campsite at 4,700 feet
Only spot without snow on the ridge
Only spot without snow on the ridge
The morning showed dense fog and rain so no point in a side hike out towards Troublesome Mountain.
Morning descent
Morning descent
About 4,000 feet
About 4,000 feet
Spring at 2,500 feet
Spring at 2,500 feet
I saw no tracks down to Blanca Lake and it too was completely frozen. This area of the Cascades is one one the furthest behind normal that I have seen so far this summer. Anyone venturing up this way and wanting to camp on grass should wait 4-5 weeks.

Any worthwhile expedition can be planned on the back of an envelope- H. W. Tilman
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
KellieD

KellieD
PostFri Jul 08, 2011 4:27 pm 
How did your kids like snow camping?

Every day a new adventure.
Sultan Guy

Sultan Guy
PostSat Jul 09, 2011 6:30 am 
KellieD wrote:
The novelty of their first ever time sleeping on snow was enough that they loved it. Barely stayed warm though.

Any worthwhile expedition can be planned on the back of an envelope- H. W. Tilman
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSat Jul 09, 2011 7:51 am 
Sultan Guy said
Quote:
Last year we ended up on a pretty arduous (for them) two night trip so this year they were adamant about only wanting a low mileage one night trip. Kids these days get too soft with all the electronics and social media crap-IMO.
Andy, my son's about your age and, like you, is strong and active, grew up outdoors. But, somewhere between your generation and your kids' generation, they lost it; they all went indoors. irked.gif We talk about this frequently: you never see kids playing outside anymore, never hear them. Having active parents like you and Dave doesn't seem to matter; getting them involved in every kind of youth athletics doesn't help; left to their own devices, they're going to be inside, wrapped up in something electronic. rant.gif You did say, though, that
Quote:
KellieD wrote:
Quote:
The novelty of their first ever time sleeping on snow was enough that they loved it. Barely stayed warm though.
Sounds like you lucked out, because, when I first read your TR, I was thinking, "Damn! Another negative experience." Maybe there's hope. Somehow, we do still get kids like Josh, completely out of step with their peers (and maybe with their parents), but falling in love with the outdoors anyway. smile.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
touron

touron
PostSat Jul 09, 2011 9:56 am 
Sultan Guy wrote:
Last year we ended up on a pretty arduous (for them) two night trip so this year they were adamant about only wanting a low mileage one night trip. Kids these days get too soft with all the electronics and social media crap-IMO.
I had to smile when I read this since the stretch up to Virgin Lake isn't exactly level. At least you know that now they are probably good for a trip to Blanca since it's all downhill the rest of they way. up.gif up.gif up.gif I wonder when Blanca Lake will thaw out this year?

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Jul 09, 2011 11:24 am 
You should be wondering if Blanca will thaw out this year..... embarassedlaugh.gif Wait, that's sad, not funny. frown.gif

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostSat Jul 09, 2011 2:47 pm 
Great report, I'm happy to see they enjoyed the snow camping. up.gif The less than ideal conditions are always the most memorable. Bet not too many of their friends can say they've camped out in snow in July. lol.gif We had a winter back in the late 60's that put down a snow pack that was epic. I, my brother and friend hiked to Blanca Lk with our innertubes, swim fins/mask on a hot 95 degree July 4th day. On the way up the trail we must have had a dozen people tell us there was snow up higher and the lake was frozen. Being kids, we thought they were messing with us. No way there could be snow this late in the year especially on such a hot day. Snow patches started about 3,200 and solid snow from 3,500 on up. I'm not sure how far we went, but 3-4 feet of solid snow on a scorching hot day was heaven for a 12 year old!.....That was the endless winter that year. Foss Lks didn't thaw out till mid August- Sept. Necklace Valley lakes were late August. Many lakes above 6,000 ft. didn't thaw out that year. That was my first year I really got into hiking and backpacking, so with all the snow we were able to cruise all over the mountains. Be interesting to see how this year plays out.

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSat Jul 09, 2011 10:05 pm 
Good job giving your boys some grounding experiences. Too bad about the snow, but it gives you good stories!

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com