Forum Index > Food & Grub > Durable Convenient Stove
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
alpinelakes

alpinelakes
PostWed Jun 29, 2011 6:58 pm 
The piezo-electric starter on the jb is kinda flaky as well. The trick is to cup your hands around the intakes to trap a sufficient quantity of poison gas, and boom! it works on the first try. Trap too much gas and whump! you get a blowout. Best not to have your face right in there, especially if you're sporting chin whiskers...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ASBrauer
Nerd

ASBrauer
Nerd
PostWed Jun 29, 2011 7:02 pm 
alpinelakes wrote:
The piezo-electric starter on the jb is kinda flaky as well
It's a mechanical failure in mine, probably due to abuse. The button doesn't always realign on its own to engage the actual ignitor. I discovered by accident that a glancing flick-type push will fix it though. If I remember correctly, that ignitor is replaceable. I wonder if JB's or SP's would fit. Also found the raptor for just $35

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Jun 29, 2011 7:18 pm 
I just simply carry a small Bic lighter. Easy to deal with if your igniter goes out.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
alpinelakes

alpinelakes
PostWed Jun 29, 2011 7:28 pm 
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Jun 29, 2011 7:33 pm 
alpinelakes wrote:
The Jetboil uses a sketchy twist-lock system to connect the stove to the pot. This makes the unit more stable, but it means you have to untwist the burning hot components in order to remove the pot from the stove.
I've used every model of JB and never had the burning problem with any of them.
Quote:
Another opportunity to burn the sh## out of your hands. The Jetboil allows the use of a frying pan, which the Reactor •cough• does not. The Jetboils and the Reactor are integrated units, meaning they have a titanium pot that's basically part of the stove. This makes them useful for freeze dried meals and coffee, but little else. (Jetboil has an expensive frying pan option)
The new aluminum and ti Jetboils both take regular pots and pans just fine. up.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Jun 29, 2011 7:47 pm 
Yeah, they all have the conversion thingie that is a pot support, allowing the JB's to be used as a standard canister stove. Add in the fuel canister support and you can use even wide pots with no issues.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
alpinelakes

alpinelakes
PostWed Jun 29, 2011 7:54 pm 
Yeah, the Ti came with the adapter ring. You can also buy the adapter as an accessory for $15 if you got suckered into one of the stoves that doesn't include it. They should incorporate the adapter into the stove. I've already misplaced mine several times- it doesn't pack into the stove very well... Well, I'm slowly learning to grasp the stove by the plastic parts and avoid that thin metal ring that forms the interlock mechanism on the top of the stove. Also, the lid falls off when you pour from a full container. So you have to reach around with one finger to hold the lid on. Bummer if your finger lands on those little vent holes- there's scalding hot steam coming out of there! I actually like my jetboil, but it feels kind of like early drag racing, back when stuff could just blow up at any minute...

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostWed Jun 29, 2011 8:34 pm 
I never rely on the piezo ignition on a cannister stove. I always carry at least one lighter so I can start the things no matter what. That's one of the beauties of cannister stoves. If the gas is on, you can ignite it with whatever and cook.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostWed Jun 29, 2011 9:48 pm 
The only problem I've consistently had with canister stoves is that they quite working well far, far before the gas is exhausted from the canister. The fuel blend burns off the what, butane(?) first or whatever, and the stove works great. Then, the other fuels start to kick in and - not so much. Also, altitude and temps are a big problem. I've actually set my canister directly on the burner just to get the thing to outgas eek.gif - the "warm water trick" didn't do it. A canister stove almost ruined my trip to the Enchantments last year when it became nearly impossible to cook because of the poor flame output. I wonder why they can't make a canister that is straight Butane - that would just be too simple? Wisperlites are dandy, but my brother's Enchantment trip was nearly ruined when his pump malfunctioned and the stove quit. Fortunately I had my trusty Svea along and we cooked & boiled to our hearts content. The Svea 123 is a hell of a stove - too bad somebody can't make a new, improved, high-tech version. They would make a killing. smile.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Jun 29, 2011 10:09 pm 
I have found that newer stoves do better at that, also remote canister stoves do burn all of the fuel.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostWed Jun 29, 2011 10:23 pm 
Allison wrote:
I have found that newer stoves do better at that, also remote canister stoves do burn all of the fuel.
I've got a Primus ETA-Power stove that does it & a Brunton Titanium pocket-rocket-like stove that does it. Maybe if I buy ANOTHER stove that runs the canister upside down the problem would go away. Or I can just be an old geezer and use my Svea, or a younger geezer and use my Wisperlite. smile.gif If I didn't already have so damn many stoves, and could somehow justify buying another, these new-fangled gadget stoves might be just the ticket. smile.gif up.gif

marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostThu Jun 30, 2011 2:22 am 
kbatku wrote:
The only problem I've consistently had with canister stoves is that they quite working well far, far before the gas is exhausted from the canister. The fuel blend burns off the what, butane(?) first or whatever, and the stove works great. Then, the other fuels start to kick in and - not so much. Also, altitude and temps are a big problem. I've actually set my canister directly on the burner just to get the thing to outgas eek.gif - the "warm water trick" didn't do it. A canister stove almost ruined my trip to the Enchantments last year when it became nearly impossible to cook because of the poor flame output. I wonder why they can't make a canister that is straight Butane - that would just be too simple? Wisperlites are dandy, but my brother's Enchantment trip was nearly ruined when his pump malfunctioned and the stove quit. Fortunately I had my trusty Svea along and we cooked & boiled to our hearts content. The Svea 123 is a hell of a stove - too bad somebody can't make a new, improved, high-tech version. They would make a killing. smile.gif
it's the propane or isobutane that burns off first, leaving the butane behind to freeze.... liquid-feed stoves solve that problem, like the coleman powermax types or various remote-canister stoves that can operate with the canister upside-down. the newest msr fuel pumps are much better than the older models and don't seem to dry out as easily. well worth the upgrade cost, i think a new pump is around $30? the problem with building a high-tech, lightweight svea is the material needed. sveas are made of heavy brass for a reason- it's needed to conduct the heat from the burner back down to the fuel tank in order to maintain pressurization. titanium and stainless are terrible heat conductors, and aluminum by itself probably isn't safe at the temperatures and pressures needed..

alpinelakes

alpinelakes
PostFri Jul 01, 2011 1:39 am 
Ah, Powermax, not Peak. That's some serious fuel...

marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostSun Jul 03, 2011 7:30 am 
alpinelakes wrote:
Ah, Powermax, not Peak. That's some serious fuel...
powermax is simply liquid-feed propane-butane mixed fuel in an aluminum hairspray can. didn't catch on because it was a proprietary fuel for a proprietary stove system.. but the liquid-feed concept is the way to go for extreme cold usage of canister stoves.