Forum Index > Food & Grub > Excalibur Food Dehydrator
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
abovetheclouds

abovetheclouds
PostFri Jun 24, 2011 5:18 pm 
Does anyone here have a Excalibur Dehydrator and know of a local place that sells them? Also, would you recommend 5 or 9 tray? Thanks so much!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Jun 24, 2011 5:31 pm 
I've used my friend Andy's 5 tray a bunch and it is THE BEST. up.gif Never seem them at retail. When I finally buy mine it will probably be a cosmetic second directly from them.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Jun 24, 2011 7:51 pm 
A couple years back I saw one at Cabela's right after they opened but last check they didn't have it in person anymore (although they do sell them online). Excal is a good brand and US made...but can be very pricey to justify buying. IMO do make sure you will really get into drying before buying one. A cheapie Nesco (you can get those locally in person at Fred Meyers) is around $60 and does the job well - and $60 can be easier to spend than $150-300 wink.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
LandRover

LandRover
PostSat Jun 25, 2011 10:29 pm 
keep an eye on craigslist

"How come dumb stuff seams so smart when you're doing it" David Crockett
abovetheclouds

abovetheclouds
PostSun Jun 26, 2011 11:57 am 
Thanks! Cabela's has them - funny I overlooked that place. They have 4 tray ones too - seems a bit small for my needs - Amazon has the 9 tray ones available for under $200 with free shipping - looking forward to its arrival!

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSat Jul 09, 2011 2:12 pm 
I've got the Nesco, although a quick review of ratings suggests the Excalibur is more highly rated. My question is -- why? It seems that the round design of the Nesco would provide better air flow. Is it just due to product reliability (ie low failure rate) or does it actually perform better?

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSat Jul 09, 2011 3:28 pm 
IMO it is like buying a Honda vs. a Mercedes. Both do what you need, one is just fancier wink.gif Probably the biggest selling point of the Ex is that it is US made. Personally? I prefer the Lequip brand! It has a nice look and a great little motor.

abovetheclouds

abovetheclouds
PostSun Jul 10, 2011 8:06 am 
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Jul 10, 2011 9:14 am 
With any dehydrator it really comes down to what the user needs of it - I'd hedge that most who buy one never use it to its full use (which is why so many can be found cheap at garage sales!). That is why I recommend a cheap Nesco to most people who email me about it - they work fine for 99% of the users - people who want to dry veggies, fruit, pasta, leftovers, etc. An Excal. is for the small % who run a dehydrator a lot and who want US made, etc. But the thing is - will a person use the dehydrator enough to make the cost difference worth it. A $50 one is easier to make your money back than say $200 for a top of the line. Then again....I also advise that if one isn't really sure that they will use it a lot that maybe buying already done for you food is the better option - since there are so many good sources these days - such as www.harmonyhousefoods.com To be blunt I only use my dehydrator to dry the few things I cannot buy commercially - such as pasta, jasmine rice and that kind of thing. And all of those things if I wanted I could dry in my oven, not a fancy dehydrator.

Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012

Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012
PostTue Jul 12, 2011 12:12 pm 
We needed a big one for drying our chanterelles, morels, and porchini which we take to market. So we made one. Its basically a plywood box with fridge racks/trays, a fan for circulating the air, and a couple light bulbs for heat. Simple. Effective. But its not UL approved!!

CrazyYank

CrazyYank
PostWed Jul 13, 2011 8:04 pm 
I finally bought the Excalibur 9 tray with the timer. I went directly to their web site and bought it on sale from them. I checked Amazon, but they didn't offer the timer model. I had previously used a friend's 5 tray and it ran quite a bit over without the timer, so a little extra was worth it. Sarbar is right about most people's needs using one, borrow a friend's first to see how you like it. I use mine a lot to include making my own yogurt. This year so far I have dried apricots, cherries, herbs and need to get my butt in gear and get my meals ready for the WT next month!

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostFri Jul 15, 2011 10:08 am 
I forgot to mention one thing I like about the newer Nesco's is that they put the heat and fan on the top of the dryer, rather than the bottom where they used to put it. This way you don't have to worry about stuff dropping down and clogging the fan or getting goo on the heating element.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Jul 15, 2011 12:40 pm 
Yeah, I killed my first dehydrator back in college due to so much powder going into the motor...sheesh.