/Links 

Saloon
/Trade 
Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> Mount Baker, Easton Glacier: June 25-26
Previous :: Next Topic  
Beer Ranger

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:44 pm   
 Reply to topic Reply with quote

One mediocre weather report nearly scared us off, but with things looking good for Sunday, Jessica, Lauren (fourteen410), David (Opus), and I set off for Mt. Baker early Saturday morning.

We certainly weren’t alone at the trailhead, though we were pleased to find that we had only a 3/4-mile snowy road walk to reach the Schriebers Meadow trail.  Temps were nice and cool for the hike in.  We entered whiteout conditions as we ascended Railroad Grade.  After passing a couple camps, we found a suitably flat spot at ~6700’ to set up.

The sun made a couple abbreviated appearances throughout the afternoon, but mostly it stayed socked in with the occasional snow flurry.  But around sunset time, we got a glimmer of hope as the clouds started to clear.  I awoke from my nap to stick my head out of the tent—whoa, we were indeed on the side of a large mountain, surrounded by a sea of peaks.

We awoke at 1:30 to crystal clear skies.  Not sure where the time went, but we didn’t start climbing until 3:15.  It was a calm, peaceful morning—one that reminds you why you go through all the effort.  A sliver of a waning moon rose in the east, followed shortly by the sun.  It was incredibly clear—all of the Washington volcanoes visible!

The route was straightforward and direct with a well-defined boot track.  There were several obvious crevasses, but snow bridges were intact.  Still, we moved deliberately over a few areas of sagging snow.  Snow on the Roman Wall, the steepest and last real climb, was slightly soft as we ascended around 8:00, and there were still decent steps to be had.  On the “football field” on top, we unroped and joined the throngs on the true summit at about 9:00, soaking in the abundant sunshine and sweet views.

Snow was softening for sure on the way back to camp, but fortunately nothing too squishy while still on the glacier.  The trek from camp back down to the car was vastly different than the ascent the day before.  We could see more than 50 feet in front of us and we roasted in the sun.  Snowmobiles buzzed around us, showing off their (un)impressive moves.  We were slightly peeved that they obliterated some of the boot tracks that our sleep-deprived selves wanted to follow.  But this female-dominated team was offered a ride back down by some friendly riders (declined).  We trudged on through the super sloppy snow until finally reaching the car.  Glorious glorious food and beer were soon to be had to celebrate our conquest!
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:06 pm   

Very nice first post Beer-Ranger!  up.gif
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail
Bernardo

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:26 pm   

Nice report.  I always like smiling before pictures.
NikonHiker

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:39 pm   

It looked like an absolute zoo over there. I counted at least 60 climbers that morning and talk about a perfect day to climb...
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Don

Post Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:12 am   

Excellent work!  What a slog the Easton can be in hot conditions.  Sounds like snow conditions were enjoyable.  Congratulations, not only on the summit, but the nice weather window that allowed you to enjoy the climb, step by step.  up.gif

Don

--------------
Don Geyer Photography

Photography Blog
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Opus
Wannabe

Post Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:29 am   

Once again I was the sole representative of the Y chromosome.  What an awesome trip!  Some mixed weather to put up with Saturday, but waking up to totally clear skies and perfect conditions for the climb made us forget about all that.  And a fun surprise to run into some familiar OSAT faces at the trailhead and on the summit.  Thanks for the steps!

BarbE

Post Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:23 am   

David you sure know how to pick a good looking climbing team! biggrin.gif
Great pics too!  up.gif  Congrats on making the summit  dance.gif
Don

Post Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:28 am   

David - love the "At the crater" shot!  up.gif

Don

--------------
Don Geyer Photography

Photography Blog
wildernessed
viewbagger

Post Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:33 am   

up.gif Nice !

--------------
I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent_Gandhi
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Yet

Post Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:11 am   

Sweet report!

Beer Ranger wrote:

lol.gif  up.gif

Beer Ranger wrote:
this female-dominated team was offered a ride back down by some friendly riders (declined).

Ha! Girls rock!  up.gif I'd like to say I would have been as strong, but perhaps I would at least have them carry my pack down.  embarassedlaugh.gif  biggrin.gif

Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours 
Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> Mount Baker, Easton Glacier: June 25-26  
  Happy Birthday JVT!

Jump to: