Forum Index > Trip Reports > gold mtn
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mtnwkr

mtnwkr
PostMon Feb 07, 2005 3:32 pm 
after i got off work this morning, i drove out to the gold creek trailhead at green mtn. i started on the gold creek trail towards green mtn, but after the foot bridge i continued on the dirt road rather than turn left for the trail. about a mile and a half later i turned right on an unmarked trail, that quickly dwindled off, and ended up right in the middle of a shallow creek.. i followed this fighting my way threw the brush and came out right in front of what looks like an old gold mine..from that i took a right and walked another mile or two and came out to a clear cut just below the radio towers on the top of gold mountain.. the skies were clear and the views of the olympics beautiful..there was 3 or 4 inches of fresh snow that was melting fast in the sun.. from this point i could see the road at the bottom of the clear cut and followed the drag trails down and walked back to the car..i stitched some picks together and got some great pana shots of the olympics.. up.gif cool.gif

There's a mostly unspoken acknowledgment among the voluntarily impoverished that it's better to be fiscally poor yet rich in experience-living the dream-than to be traditionally wealthy but live separate from one's passions.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mtngrl

mtngrl
PostMon Feb 07, 2005 4:34 pm 
Sounds like fun. That's a nice shot of the Olympics, especially with all that fresh snow. smile.gif

-lol-

-lol-
PostMon Feb 07, 2005 4:38 pm 

mtnwkr

mtnwkr
PostMon Feb 07, 2005 4:46 pm 
i'd be happy to show you in person if you want to come out my way... its about a 20 minute drive from silverdale, and another hour walk..i found this out there, 2drx, do you know if this has something to do with the mine? it kinda looks like a tire iron, but not..
gm(3)
gm(3)

There's a mostly unspoken acknowledgment among the voluntarily impoverished that it's better to be fiscally poor yet rich in experience-living the dream-than to be traditionally wealthy but live separate from one's passions.
-lol-

-lol-
PostMon Feb 07, 2005 5:19 pm 

Tsolo

Tsolo
PostWed Feb 09, 2005 9:36 am 
I climbing Green Mountain yesterday (2/8) and looked over to Gold Mountain from the top. The views from the top of Green Mountain are kind of obscured compared to what you photographed from Gold. On Green, the trees prevent you from getting an unobscured panorama of either the Olympics or the sound to the east. But I shouldn't complain; I guess the alternative would be for the DNR to clearcut all the way to the summit. I did see lots of gray jays there, and watched a Red-breasted Nuthatch climb around on a tree only 10 feet away from the viewpoint. Next time, I'll climb Gold and try some panorama photos.
Red-breasted Nuthatch (Web photo)
Red-breasted Nuthatch (Web photo)

aristarkos

aristarkos
PostThu Jun 30, 2011 10:49 am 
6yrs later... Green Mountain State Forest map According to the map, it's a tin mine.