Forum Index > Gear Talk > Stove junkies
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
realityguy

Location: 95% Lynnwood,5% Joyce..wish it was the other way around!
realityguy
PostSat Nov 05, 2011 10:09 am 
Yeah..I'm one also,addicted stove junkie..collect a lot of vintage stoves and make my own alcohol ones that simmer/boil/bake..whatever is needed.I had to laugh at the WBS..That one has pretty much antique status by now! Homebrew stove-making is a passion for do-it-yourself junkies and people that like something lighter without all the expensive frills that aren't really required by most people cooking on the trails.The rest of the country seems to be more into that factor than Washington hikers---> http://www.bplite.com/viewforum.php?f=19 Browse around the website and check out the stoves or just the shared ideas for making them and other camp gear by yourself.I don't sell any stoves or homemade gear there,just share ideas like the rest of the folks on there. Yes I have a lot of canister stoves,white gas stoves,but don't use them much because of the cost and weight factors.I hike mostly overnights and day hikes and don't really need to carry large quantities of fuel or heavy stoves..but occasionally like to press coffee,bake muffins,simmer noodles,etc..and make stoves that do so.No...again,I don't sell my homemade stoves...just share ideas for them.Don't consider the link as spam..just shared ideas by a lot of other hikers.The registration sign-up for that site is nothing but a method of controlling spammers..You'll get no emails,spam,or anything of that nature,same as here.Spammers are eradicated the moment they show up.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostSat Nov 05, 2011 10:55 am 
I lost count at 30 stoves. At a guess, I have around 50 presently. My favorites are the antique brass ones. The stoves I use the most are my Snow Peak Giga Ti cannister stove and my Coleman Powermax Xtreme.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
gentian

gentian
PostSat Nov 05, 2011 4:04 pm 
Quote:
Modern designs of alcohol stoves (such as the White Box) are fiddle free.
Those types of stoves are hard to light in cold weather. Hard to see when the jets are lit when it's sunny outside. Really cold mountain water in a pot will make them go out when you set the pot on the stove. There is a video somewhere on you tube showing how cold affects the jets. What stove did you use before you started selling whitebox stoves?

AeroNautiCal

AeroNautiCal
PostWed Nov 23, 2011 4:02 pm 
Stoves, chimney kettles, titanium cookware, ovens... Yep, I got the habit! I really enjoy using nice stoves, naturally, chimney kettles and cookware follow. Specific stove and cook kits get allocated to their own packs (vehicle pack, packraft drypacks, daysacks etc). Started off as a kid with a little meths burner, then a Bleut S200, Globe Trotter...

uproar

uproar
PostSun Nov 27, 2011 10:51 am 
Okay, here goes... 1) MSR Pocket Rocket 2) SnowPeak GigaPower Auto Stove 3) SnowPeak LiteMax Titanium Stove (the lightest) 4) Coleman Xtreme (fortunately have tons of PowerMax fuel canisters for it!) 5) MSR Reactor Cooking System (my newest) 6) JetBoil PCS (one of the originals, when they first came out--had it for years, have never used it) 7) Primus Alpine ULT Titanium Stove (the earlier, discontinued, less compact 3273 model, crazy expensive compared to most of its genre) 8) MSR Dragonfly (had it for 12 years, have used it once, too much trouble for my purposes...actually have a titanium fuel bottle for it, don't ask me why). 9) An old Gaz canister stove, name unknown, that I never use anymore--my first backpacking stove!) 10) A tiny foldable titanium stove in my survival kit that weighs next to nothing and uses those little styrofoam-like fuel tablets that weigh even less. 11) Probably a few I've forgotten I had. There you go. Sad, isn't it?

uproar

uproar
PostSun Nov 27, 2011 10:53 am 
I think the tablet stove is the Esbit Firelite.

hikin_jim

hikin_jim
PostSun Nov 27, 2011 7:45 pm 
uproar wrote:
Okay, here goes... 1) MSR Pocket Rocket 2) SnowPeak GigaPower Auto Stove 3) SnowPeak LiteMax Titanium Stove (the lightest) 4) Coleman Xtreme (fortunately have tons of PowerMax fuel canisters for it!) 5) MSR Reactor Cooking System (my newest) 6) JetBoil PCS (one of the originals, when they first came out--had it for years, have never used it) 7) Primus Alpine ULT Titanium Stove (the earlier, discontinued, less compact 3273 model, crazy expensive compared to most of its genre) 8) MSR Dragonfly (had it for 12 years, have used it once, too much trouble for my purposes...actually have a titanium fuel bottle for it, don't ask me why). 9) An old Gaz canister stove, name unknown, that I never use anymore--my first backpacking stove!) 10) A tiny foldable titanium stove in my survival kit that weighs next to nothing and uses those little styrofoam-like fuel tablets that weigh even less. 11) Probably a few I've forgotten I had. There you go. Sad, isn't it?
So which ones do you actually use? Got any photos of that old Gaz stove? Always fun to see if I can identify it. HJ

Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving
uproar

uproar
PostSun Nov 27, 2011 7:56 pm 
The LiteMax and the Reactor haven't been used yet, since they are both very recent acquisitions--to be used next spring and this winter, respectively. The JetBoil hasn't been used; decided it was much too bulky and heavy. I've probably used the Pocket Rocket the most. The Esbit stove is a survival kit thing only. I'll dig out the old Gaz stove and put it together--I've actually forgotten what it looks like assembled. Still have canisters for it. I think the LiteMax is destined to replace the Pocket Rocket.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Nov 27, 2011 8:07 pm 
My preferred backpacking stoves are the Brunton crux lite (big burner) and the Jetboil Sol Ti. For car camping, it is the Jetboil Helios. I got here by being fortunate enough to test a ton of stoves. I recently had a liquid fuel stove for testing and was reminded why I prefer canister stoves.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
hikin_jim

hikin_jim
PostSun Nov 27, 2011 8:14 pm 
I keep hearing good things about the LiteMax. Nothing wrong with the PR, but it's not been my favorite stove. A little bendy on the pot supports and tends to hot spot things. The nice thing about a Jetboil is that it's fairly windproof. Not to the degree that a Reactor would be, but quite a bit more windproof than most. Nice option if you want something lighter than a Reactor but will be facing some wind on a trip. The thing about a Reactor is that it's only good as long as you can keep the fuel temperature at or above about 20F (colder as you climb higher). It's a GREAT snow melter, but it's still an upright canister stove, and it's still constrained by the physics of gas. If it's going to be really cold, go with the Xpert which can go about 25F degrees colder (or switch to liquid fuel). Don't really like the old Gas stoves. You can't remove the canister until it's empty. down.gif But vintage gear has a certain cachet, a certain cool factor. smile.gif HJ

hikin_jim

hikin_jim
PostSun Nov 27, 2011 8:19 pm 
Allison wrote:
I recently had a liquid fuel stove for testing and was reminded why I prefer canister stoves.
Hey, Allison, what did you get to test? Something new and cool? HJ

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Nov 27, 2011 8:30 pm 
It was a Brunton. Sorry I don't have my notes with me so not sure which model. The best things I got to test were not stoves. Lots of stuff for Bp spring gear guide.

hikin_jim

hikin_jim
PostSun Nov 27, 2011 8:37 pm 
Allison wrote:
It was a Brunton. Sorry I don't have my notes with me so not sure which model.
Hmm. Brunton and liquid fuel. Probably the Bantam or the Vapor All Fuel.
Allison wrote:
The best things I got to test were not stoves.
eek.gif Sacrilege! wink.gif HJ

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Nov 27, 2011 8:39 pm 
Sorry, HJ, I am not a stove junkie. smile.gif

hikin_jim