Forum Index > Trail Talk > Where does trail past Chenuis Falls go?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Jul 21, 2011 2:43 pm 
Never biggrin.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Jul 21, 2011 7:31 pm 
JennieEl wrote:
You have brought up a favorite subject of mine.
Wow thanks for all that information (and work on the trail). I've been known to carry some snippers and a folding saw if I think a trail might need a little work. Where I walked up to the trail was in pretty nice shape. I don't remember any killer blowdowns that had to be negotiated. Maybe there were workarounds. I will definitely get back up there and keep going. Fun stuff.

JennieEl

JennieEl
PostWed Jul 27, 2011 9:21 am 
Tigermn, it's worth the trip, especially if you enjoy a little challenge. I spent Saturday working up there and used flagging tape for some of the tougher spots (I also flagged a few spots past the end of the trail while I was going to the falls, so don't get confused if you get that far and can't find the trail at all anymore. It has gotten more difficult to be sure I haven't gone right past the camp on my way back and I'm not back there often enough to have all the trees memorized.) The worst of the trail is toward the end. New boots did a number on my Achilles, so I will have to be careful about not stressing it for a while. But I plan to be back up there to work sometime in the last half of August. If you are interested in getting together to do some work on it, let me know. Some of the difficulties are simply things like trees that my saw could mange, but I don't have the leverage to cut while holding the tree so it doesn't pinch the blade. Two people could make a difference in the overall difficulty of the trail.

Brandon25373

Brandon25373
PostThu May 31, 2012 1:39 pm 
Hello everyone! I found this thread after doing some reasearch online in regards to this trail. I am not into ghost stories and normally blow off that sort of thing, but I recently discovered that trail and decided to see where it went and became aware that there is definitely someone or something that was not happy at all with my presence. I have hiked all over the Ipsut/Mowich area and have done nearly every trail up there and have never experienced anything quite like I did the other day. Do any of you know where I can find out a little history of that trail? Or even have odd experiences of your own involving that area?

JennieEl

JennieEl
PostThu May 31, 2012 1:48 pm 
I've spent many, many hours and many days over the past 15-18 years on that trail and never had any unpleasant experience (except for occasionally getting really wet). I've been trying to keep it open, or at least passable for the adventurous, since I discovered it (the old Forest Service portion that runs outside the northern boundary of MRNP). Until recently, I've been the only one working on it. A few weeks ago I met Roy, who is also very interested in the trail and we have worked on it together twice now. The last time was on Sunday, when we spent the whole day there and made it all the way back to the end of the trail. It was beautiful. When were you there? And how far back did you go? You didn't really describe what your experience was. It is a trail that very seldom sees anyone except me, so maybe you were reacting to being on it alone.

tigermn

tigermn
PostThu May 31, 2012 1:52 pm 
That is an odd story. It's a good workout. I need to get back up there and follow it further than the time I sort of ended up on it as I blew by the falls. Are the crossings over the river in? Last time I was in that area which has been a while, I think it was the 2nd or 3rd one that was nowhere to be found and trying to ford that fast moving river wasn't in my days plans... lol.gif

JennieEl

JennieEl
PostThu May 31, 2012 2:34 pm 
The crossings are in. If anyone is interested in helping out on this trail I would love to meet up with you. I am planning to spend a fair amount of vacation time up there in late August/early September. But I can go up there nearly any weekend in the summer. Roy and I have made great progress for just 2 people, but extra help would certainly make the work easier. This is a beautiful trail

Brandon25373

Brandon25373
PostThu May 31, 2012 4:13 pm 
Last Tuesday my girlfriend and I decided to head up to Greenlake for some exercise. We had attempted Chenuis Falls a few months back, but were unable to make it since the bridge was out at the time. We were having lunch at the Greenlake trail head when I asked her if she wanted to head up and see if the bridge to Chenuis had been repaired. She agreed, so we headed up and made it to the falls. We climbed over some logs and rocks trying to make it higher up so we could get some good photos. The terrain was becoming too dificult, so we decided to head back. At that point I looked over and saw what appeared to be a well maintained trail about 200 feet from where we were. I had never seen this trail before, so we decided to bag Greenlake for the day and see where this trail would take us. I have spent my whole life hiking around the Ipsut/Mowich area and even spent a portion of my stint there when I worked for the NPS years ago. I assumed that the trail was an old logging or mining trail and likely would dump us out near Coplay lake. We headed up and stopped roughly 1.5 miles past the boundary sign to take a break and have a snack brfore continuing up the trail. I had noticed on the way up a "chattering" sound off in the distance, but didn't bother mentioning anything to her about it. We fininshed our snack and decided to continue on when a presence next to me whispered to her to "LEAVE NOW!" She looked and said, "What did you say?" I told her that I hadn't said anything, she looked very upset and said, "That was creepy, we need to get out of here!" I could definitely feel a dark presence at that moment and agreed that something did not want us there. We literally ran down the trail and on the way noticed that the boundary sign had been moved from it's original location from where it was on the way up. We didn't feel a peace in the air until we arived at the Ipsut road. I don't normally believe in Ghost or Alien stories whithout assuming a perfectly logical explaination. Tuesday's experience was very strange and I cannot explain it. Thanks for reading this and please feel free to share any insight or experiences of your own.

JennieEl

JennieEl
PostThu May 31, 2012 4:40 pm 
I did notice Sunday that the boundary sign had been fixed - previously one of the signs hung upside down by its bottom bolt, and the post itself was only very loosely upright in the remains of the post-hole. The chattering sound might have been someone fixing the sign. For the other part, people do occasionally wander a ways up the trail until they hit some of the more difficult spots. I'm wondering if someone played a trick.

Brandon25373

Brandon25373
PostThu May 31, 2012 4:57 pm 
The NPS sign is still hanging from it's bottom bolt on the back of the post. On the way up, I noticed the loose post and shoved it into the ground a bit more firmly since it looked like a stiff wind would have taken it down. There definitely was no one else up there, and the chattering seemed to be to the west of where we were, which would mean that anyone making those noises would be off the trail and deep in the woods.

JennieEl

JennieEl
PostFri Jun 01, 2012 8:13 am 
I don't know what to tell you, then. The post was fixed when I was there Sunday. I have never had any bad experiences there, and I have had many wonderful ones.

tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Jun 01, 2012 9:01 am 
Maybe it's the ghost of Dirty Harry. Wait he was in the I-90 corridor. The ghost of an old miner maybe...

Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostWed Jul 04, 2018 6:10 pm 
Joseph Jameson

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostWed Jul 04, 2018 8:07 pm 
Strange thread bump confused.gif Anyhoo I was up there about 3 weeks ago. I went about 2 miles past the falls when I came a big blowdown I didn't feel like trying to find a way around. Otherwise, some logs to go over/under and one stretch where salal was really overtaking the trail.

Phobos
Phobos

Phobos
Phobos
PostMon Nov 12, 2018 3:53 pm 
Hello JennieEl. I have hiked the trail to its "end" at the creek, per an old map I found (from part of the project plan in the early 80's to either increase visitors, or limit visitors to Chenuis Valley). The trail ends at the creek: 47.00063, -121.79983. It was pristine, without any sign of recent human activity. The spot looks perfect for hammock camping in solitude. While hiking the trail I encountered LOTS of blow down, and neglected sections of the trail. I definitely plan on returning. Please provide the location of the old Forest Service camp site.