Jimbo
PostWed Dec 05, 2012 10:37 am 
http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20121205/NEWS01/712059947#Bush-House-redux

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Dec 05, 2012 10:45 am 
I'm glad someone stepped in to save this. I hope he's successful.

Jimbo

Jimbo
PostWed Dec 05, 2012 1:01 pm 
I rolled through town a few months ago and seen it was in work. Talked to 2 guys working, I new one of them. I asked about the ghost. he said it left. Got made at what they were doing lol.gif

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
contour5

contour5
PostWed Dec 05, 2012 1:29 pm 
Nice to see this one get saved. Interesting to see that they're planning a hostel for part of the building. I likes me some low-budget infrastructure. Thank goodness the previous owners plan to "make it more like Bellevue" didn't work out... The utter lack of pretense and sophistication is what makes Index an interesting place.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostWed Dec 05, 2012 3:27 pm 
contour5 wrote:
planning a hostel for part of the building.
I can't find where they mention a hostel. In the 1970's I took a job with Seahaven Youth Hostel on Pike Street at the old Wintonia Hotel - an office and secretary and a job to expand the hosteling experience in this area. http://books.google.com/books/about/Sea_Haven_Hostel.html?id=5NcFPwAACAAJ We spent a lot of time on Highway 2 looking for locations and, frankly, without public tranportation we came up empty handed. In the end I got fired because the area won't sustain a youth hostel. I wish them luck, though.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
contour5

contour5
PostWed Dec 05, 2012 4:04 pm 
Hostel is mentioned in the Heraldnet article: "Corson plans to have 10 guest rooms on the second floor and a hostel in the third."

contour5

contour5
PostWed Dec 05, 2012 4:08 pm 
I think we could fill hostels up in the summer. There used to be cheap places for skiers to stay in Skykomish and Baring, but they've all gone away. Greyhound used to stop at Stevens, too.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostWed Dec 05, 2012 4:41 pm 
contour5 wrote:
Greyhound used to stop at Stevens, too.
That's the rub. Study the Swiss Alp's and see what work's and where and why. Or Italy for that matter.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostWed Dec 05, 2012 5:26 pm 
In Europe they use trains in the mountains. So-called destination resorts have developed. In America the builder's of our train system promoted our mountain tourist attractions, however they built tunnel's under the Cascade pass's. There is no mountain train service until you get to Whitefish, Montana. Now there is not even a dedicated bus service. Cheap rent for a private bunk at a resort would be good. With public transportation and a Hostel I wouldn't have to hear about Flow looking for somewhere to camp at the pass.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Dec 05, 2012 6:49 pm 
Back in the Pleistocene era before I was born there was a Ski Train to Hyak then called Milwaukee Ski Bowl.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
contour5

contour5
PostWed Dec 05, 2012 7:41 pm 
There was also the Conifer Lodge, right at the pass, where you could stay in the dorm for $3 per night, up until at least 1975. It burned down, I think.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Dec 06, 2012 12:06 am 
I didn't know that, thank's. The frustrating thing that we had in finding a place for a youth hostel was public transportation to a year 'round recreational area. Most people who want inexpensive lodging are young and without vehicles, or budget travelers. Many are older also. There was also a look into future tourism and that need. I'm sure that we've all met tourist's on the trails and in the campgrounds. They are an important consideration. There is little or no money to make in doing something like this - not like in a normal landlording situation. A youth hostel is more of a public service to the community if it's needed. But it all depends on dependable public transportation. The jury's still out on that after all of these years.