Saloon
/Trade 
Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> 4th of Defiance 07.04.11
Previous :: Next Topic  
furthur
Berry Bagger

Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:03 pm   
 Reply to topic Reply with quote

Defiance was the 2011 choice for Chango’s annual 4th of July flag planting ceremony.  Six of us landed in a packed parking lot about 10am, but ditched the crowds at the Mason Lake turnoff.

The trail to this point is in late (Ira) spring condition-- the biters were minimal and the flowers / bushes only budding. Once we began descending to Mason, snow patched the way until completely taking over at the lake.

Following a secondary tradition, the mad Bulgarian took a “refreshing” dip near the outlet, the only ice free zone.  Manning up, one of the equally mad Poles waded in.  His screaming assessment: that international four letter curse.

Nobody at the lake except a ranger, a rare opportunity to pretend we happened into a secret place (except for the toilet sign). Discovering the summer trail was challenging, so we simply headed in Defiance’s direction, moving up and over the ridge, trudging in snow all the way.

Instead of traversing the south face, we ascended from the east, topping out to extraordinary views to the Olys, the Sound, Baker, Stuart, Adams, and Rainier.

Two baby carrots lay on the ground around the summit rocks, so we rolled up a snowman to help us celebrate.

As I was the only American citizen, it fell to me to squeak out the National Anthem for the flag ceremony—could have used your support, B C’munk and Mountain Man!

The descent was less frightful than we expected, and included a couple swift glissades.  We used only boots and poles, but were very aware of the many spots of unsupported snow.  It will be a couple weeks before the summer trail completely melts out—and then for the flower show on the south face!

--------------
"You're either on the bus or off the bus."
Kesey
Backpacker Joe
NWH Joe-Bob

Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:43 pm   

Good work.  Nice pics.

--------------
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

—Wayne's John Bernard Books in The Shootist
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail
Bloated Chipmunk
Slower than Dial-up

Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:59 pm   

furthur wrote:

As I was the only American citizen, it fell to me to squeak out the National Anthem for the flag ceremony—could have used your support, B C’munk and Mountain Man!

WHAT??  I WASN'T INVITED on the 4th of July hike this time?!  clown.gif  Oh well, you don't want to hear me try to sing, trust me on that.   notlistening.gif shakehead.gif  wink.gif

I can't believe Chango's not wearing a yellow shirt...what's up w/that?  confused.gif   wink.gif 

I can believe, however, the icy water dip.  crazy.gif

--------------
Home is where the hiking is. 
http://www.meetup.com/Hardcore-Hikers-of-San-Diego-County/

"I didn't know what Facebook was, and now that I do know what it is, I have to say, it sounds like a huge waste of time." -Betty White
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Hiker Mama

Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:03 pm   

Nice trip!

--------------
My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
half fast

Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:22 pm   

Nice TR and photos... up.gif  up.gif

Looks like you all had a great time... ok, I am not sure about the lake dip, for me anyway... but he looked like it was enjoyable  dizzy.gif .

Thanks for sharing... biggrin.gif

--------------
It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail
MountainMan

Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:17 pm   

furthur wrote:
Following a secondary tradition, the mad Bulgarian took a “refreshing” dip near the outlet, the only ice free zone.  Manning up, one of the equally mad Polacks waded in.  His screaming assessment: that international four letter curse.

Ahh, darn it!  I missed the swim!  biggrin.gif

--------------
Slow down, take notice, savor the moment, appreciate the world around you and everything that you have.
Snowdog

Post Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:00 am   

nice trip to celebrate the 4th with international friends! up.gif

--------------
'we don't have time for a shortcut'
Yet

Post Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:12 am   

Thanks for the TR. Looks like a fun group! smile.gif
Highwalker's Daughter

Post Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:27 pm   

Looks like a fantastic time!  Can't wait to get back up to that area - not sure I'd be brave enough for a dip in the icy lake  redface.gif
furthur
Berry Bagger

Post Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:33 am   

Checked the date when I was last up Defiance--16 July, 2006.  My notes describe the south face flower meadow in full bloom, and not a flake of snow.  On the other hand, the lake was people-packed and the trail buzzed loudly with hungry bugs, so the unique solitude of a snowy visit was quite a treat!

--------------
"You're either on the bus or off the bus."
Kesey

Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours 
Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> 4th of Defiance 07.04.11  
  Happy Birthday Crazyforthetrail, Exposed, ImTheScientist!

Jump to: