Forum Index > Trip Reports > Poe Mtn & Little Wenatchee River wanderings 7/17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostSun Jul 17, 2011 9:40 pm 
My original plan was to drive to the end of the Little Wenatchee river road and hike up Poe mountain. Wasn't sure I would be able to make it to the end of the road, due to FS warning about partial road washout past Soda Springs campground, but it turned out to not be an issue. Shouldn't be a problem for anyone, unless they are pulling a large trailer. Hiked up the trail a ways and found the junction for Little Wenatchee/Poe. I took the right fork, but the trail just kept wandering near the river. Knowing that I couldn't have possibly made a mistake, I kept walking for another 2 miles thru a waist deep jungle before turning around. confused.gif As I neared the junction on the return, I noticed a vague trail leading up the hill away from the river. No sign or marking of any kind...but I figured this must have been the trail leading to Poe. So, for anyone else that wants to try Poe from this route, take the right at the signed junction, then look for another unsigned trail to the right another 100 yards up from the first junction.
Junction
Junction
There's a trail in here?
There's a trail in here?
My Papillons fighting thru brush
My Papillons fighting thru brush
The Little Wenatchee river trail had some serious brush issues, and lots of stream crossings. Not too big a deal for me, but my dogs felt differently about it. I had to carry them over a couple of the stream crossings, and keep them right at my feet thru the brush that threatened to bury them. I still wanted to try and knock off Poe, but I decided to drive to Irving Pass trailhead and try from there. It starts at 4k, leaving only 2000' of elevation gain in 2.5 miles to the Poe summit.
Mastiff, Howard & Rock (L-R)
Mastiff, Howard & Rock (L-R)
Furry trees
Furry trees
Lilies
Lilies
Mount David
Mount David
The trail was in pretty good shape. Some snow patches that forced me to look around for the trail at times. Basically, you just want to head up to the ridge, then aim left always staying on top. Most of the ridge was snow free, and pretty easy to follow. There's remnants of an old lookout at the top of Poe. I stayed on top a few minutes before racing the rain back to the trailhead. I won...but just barely.
Ridge above Irving Pass
Ridge above Irving Pass
Poet's ridge
Poet's ridge
Ridgeline to Poe summit
Ridgeline to Poe summit
Poe summit
Poe summit
Lookout remnants
Lookout remnants
Little Wenatchee towards Meander Meadows
Little Wenatchee towards Meander Meadows
Pax, Bandit conquer Poe Mountain
Pax, Bandit conquer Poe Mountain
Stats: Distance: 9.38 miles (includes both Little Wenatchee and Irving Pass) Elevation gained: 2700' Recovery: 59er Diner

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
veronika

veronika
PostSun Jul 17, 2011 10:02 pm 
up.gif up.gif up.gif That ridgeline looks iffy. huh.gif

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
TrailPair

TrailPair
PostTue Jul 19, 2011 10:06 am 
What cute little dogs! And I bet they stay warmer than our chihuahuas. Did you see any nice spots to camp on the ridge?

This thing called work is interfering with my play
mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostTue Jul 19, 2011 10:20 am 
The small rise before the Poe summit looked like it could offer some decent camp areas. Probably be a little better when/if the snow melts. The dogs stayed warm, but the distance of both hikes was a little too much for them. They usually stick to a max of around 7 miles. Both have spent the last two days resting more than normal.

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
nvoit

nvoit
PostThu Jul 21, 2011 8:14 am 
"Knowing that I couldn't have possibly made a mistake" I like the confidence... good thing you had the drive to attack from another approach! Love that ridgeline shot too!!!