Forum Index > Trail Talk > Area below Alder Lake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostFri Oct 11, 2013 2:01 pm 
I've only been in Washington for a few months so far. Looking at maps there seems to be a part of GP Natl Forest just south of Alder Lake. Does this section have a special name? And is there anything there?

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jetlag

Jetlag
PostFri Oct 11, 2013 4:06 pm 
The area south/southwest of Alder Lake is difficult to access, but has many areas that I find interesting. Upper Deschutes Falls, Fossil Rock, the Little Nisqually estuary, the Nature Conservancy area around Bald Hills Lake, the Nisqually Land Trust holdings on the river . . . all these are worth a visit. Most of these sites need a special permit from Weyco to visit legally.

Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostSat Oct 12, 2013 1:16 am 
Thanks. That helped a lot. up.gif

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Oct 12, 2013 7:52 am 
It is called The Mineral Block. It is an area that used to be on the Snoqualmie NF and part of the no longer there Mineral District. It is ignored by the Forest Service for the most part. It is checkerboarded with Weyco lands. It is steep ground with large, merchantable sized devils club. The FS land is now under the non-management of the Cowlitz Valley Ranger District. I've not been there for eons. It used to have 100 log trucks a day coming out, from Weyco and Federal sales, but I've heard that the roads are pretty much grown in, and the main lines also need work and can be hard to follow. Trees grow extremely well there. We called one patch rubber trees, they did not break up on the steep ground. Take a good map and a GPS. There were roads all over the place. It is also the place most likely to find a body dumped from a Tacoma murder. A more local murder happened there this year. This was taken somewhere in the Mineral Block in 1988.
PLS thunderbird
PLS thunderbird

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostSat Oct 12, 2013 5:31 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
It is steep ground with large, merchantable sized devils club
I just saw these things for the first time about a week ago in the Capitol Forest. I was wondering what those things were. Though I am a little confused now. Who controls the access to that place? The FS or Weyco? Or does Weyco own land around the mass?

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Oct 13, 2013 8:42 am 
Voxxjin wrote:
Though I am a little confused now. Who controls the access to that place? The FS or Weyco? Or does Weyco own land around the mass?
The main road, the 74, is under a joint access agreement. It is open, but might be brushy. The Forest Service does the non-maintenance. smile.gif A Forest Servie LEO patrols the area once in a while. The Weyco roads are most likely gated, closed, or grown in, along with most of the secondary FS roads. There was a lightning strike occurred a few years ago in that area. The smoke could be seen from Morton. The FS office sent a person to check and they decided the fire would not go anywhere. However, the phones kept ringing so it took a crew two days to open a road enough to get a piece of equipment in and douse the smoke. At the roads meeting held here last summer, it was brought up that this area could easily be made into an ATV recreation area--roads to atv trails, but I doubt that will happen. Part of the reasoning was that more people would use the area which means more eyes to see garbage dumping, druggie stuff, poaching, etc. I am posting this on hearsay, I haven't been there in some time. I used to know my way around quite well, but trees have grown, roads have been closed or grown in, and I wouldn't recognize any landmarks anymore.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities