Forum Index > Trip Reports > Coal and Independence lakes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Jul 15, 2011 9:59 am 
Now I don't want to go anymore. tongue.gif Thanks, you saved me a lot of work for the reward of being miserable. doh.gif Believe me, I'm not the kind who enjoys being abused by brush, etc. embarassedlaugh.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
daffish

daffish
PostFri Jul 15, 2011 10:04 am 
Regarding the mines and waterfalls on the West Fork of Coal Creek:
Devils Lake Trail
Devils Lake Trail
As Geohiker says, the road is now heavily tank trapped and the bridge over a major gully two switchbacks up has been removed. There are two good sized falls on the creek. The lower one listed by aywolfpac which is hidden from view at the first switchback on the old road and another one up the valley shown at #5 on the sketchmap. There is also a short audit right at the lip of the upper falls where the trail crosses the creek (also at #5 on the sketch). Right now with the heavy snowmelt runoff, crossing the creek there could be risky. A long time ago there used to be a rope at the crossing to assist you in getting over the water. It has been quite a few years since I have been on that trail so I am not sure of what shape it is in now. confused.gif Have fun.

"Be moderate in everything, including moderation" Horace Porter
Jimbo

Jimbo
PostFri Jul 15, 2011 11:23 am 
We have talked about this place for a few years. I'm happy some other folks are thinking to hockeygrin.gif Daffish, you've seen one or more of these mines ? BPJ, thanks for the T/R

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
Tyler

Tyler
PostFri Jul 15, 2011 11:30 am 
Thanks daffish up.gif I've been curious about that area for some time.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jul 15, 2011 6:47 pm 
aywolfpac wrote:
Backpacker Joe wrote:
I found the side road that heads the Devils lake way and I plan on hiking it in a couple weeks.
When are you planning on doing this? I'll be busy with school work for the next couple weekends but if you wait until after that I might be interested in tagging along.
I can wait for you Wolf. Thanks Fish. Ill wait a couple weeks. I want to be sure the lake is thawed.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
aywolfpac

aywolfpac
PostFri Jul 15, 2011 7:44 pm 
Thanks for the map Daffish. That's great. The "Gentle meadows to the lake" sound nice and two waterfalls for the price of one is great!

Gamuru
Cartographile

Gamuru
Cartographile
PostFri Jul 15, 2011 8:07 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
I want to be sure the lake is thawed.
Boy, no kidding there. I was up in Hoodoo Gulch today and was amazed at how much snow was still packed in up there.
Hoodoo Creek Falls
Hoodoo Creek Falls
Hoodoo Creek Falls
Hoodoo Creek Falls
Cool waterfall up there, btw.

Don "The definition of a mine is a hole in the ground that belongs to a liar." ~Mark Twain
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jul 15, 2011 8:09 pm 
Where is Hoodoo creek Gams?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Gamuru
Cartographile

Gamuru
Cartographile
PostFri Jul 15, 2011 8:34 pm 
Almost across the street from Coal Creek. It's next to--and right of--the Ice Caves at Big Four.
EDIT: I was looking for the two cabin sites going up the the Hoodoo Mine. Found one but got cliffed-in by the gulch.
Hoodoo Creek Mines
Hoodoo Creek Mines

Don "The definition of a mine is a hole in the ground that belongs to a liar." ~Mark Twain
Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostSun Jul 17, 2011 1:34 pm 
Nice reflection in Coal Lake, makes me want to jump in! biggrin.gif

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jul 20, 2011 11:35 pm 
daffish wrote:
Regarding the mines and waterfalls on the West Fork of Coal Creek:
Devils Lake Trail
Devils Lake Trail
As Geohiker says, the road is now heavily tank trapped and the bridge over a major gully two switchbacks up has been removed. There are two good sized falls on the creek. The lower one listed by aywolfpac which is hidden from view at the first switchback on the old road and another one up the valley shown at #5 on the sketchmap. There is also a short audit right at the lip of the upper falls where the trail crosses the creek (also at #5 on the sketch). Right now with the heavy snowmelt runoff, crossing the creek there could be risky. A long time ago there used to be a rope at the crossing to assist you in getting over the water. It has been quite a few years since I have been on that trail so I am not sure of what shape it is in now. confused.gif Have fun.
I checked the trail out a bit today, I made it about 1/4 mile or so after crossing a stream near the beginning of the 3rd switchback, that crossing is easy. From that point on the brush was extremely thick and it was getting late so I bailed. I would like to go in on a late after noon, camp at the first waterfall crossing and head to the lake in the morning. Might want to bring a machete, I am beginning to realize what you guys are saying about wearing fast drying clothing. I donned full rain gear as I knew that the vegetation would be soaked. By the end I was soaked from the inside and outside, lol. Thanks for the awesome map Daffish! Here is a pic to give you an idea of the water flow right now.
Falls at old mine rd. bridge crossing.
One for Scrooge looking south. 4x zoom.
One for Scrooge looking south. 4x zoom.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jul 20, 2011 11:58 pm 
CJ, how far did you get in relation to the hand drawn map that was posted?

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jul 21, 2011 12:19 am 
I was just across the stream about 1/4 mile or so into the next to last (3rd) switchback. If you go be prepared for some brutal bushwhacking, the first part seems bad, but trust me it get's progressively worse. The woods are pretty clear, although the slope is steep, might be better to go straight up to the final switchback, using a GPS. If you go you will see where I started to do just that and thought better of it beings it was getting late and I was alone. I am determined to make it to the lake, hopefully within the next 2 weeks.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jul 21, 2011 1:34 am 
Lets hook up and go together. We can clear the brush together.

aywolfpac

aywolfpac
PostThu Jul 21, 2011 5:00 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Is this the lower falls marked on the map then or is this further up around the second switchback? Any idea of the height? It doesn't look too big.