Forum Index > Food & Grub > Leftovers and By products
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu Jan 19, 2012 6:49 am 
A chilly 22* out, slight breeze with a light snow falling. A toasty 70* inside thanks to the wood stove. I think I’ll use some leftovers. Yes, I think I will. If you’ve been taking care of your sourdough starter, you may have noticed you end up with extra just from feeding it. I do and this morning is a steller day to use some of it. So here goes. Biscuits (the by product) 1½ cups sifted all purpose flour 2 Tbsp sugar 3 tsp baking powder ¼ cup shortening or butter-melted 1 tsp salt 1½ cups of your sourdough starter (the leftovers) 1½ tsp baking soda Dump the flour in a large bowl and make a well in the middle Add the starter Then add the shortening or butter and the rest of the ingredients. Mix lightly place on a floured work surface. Knead it lightly until like bread dough. Roll out to ½ in think and use a cookie floured cutter to cut out biscuits. Now, put em on a greased sheet and brush em up with melted butter, cover with a towel and let rise of ½ hr +/-. Then bake @ 450* for 15-20 min. Keep an eye on em now. If you’ve got a wood cook stove, now’s a good time to put that oven to work. Gravy. You can’t have biscuits and gravy without it. Make it while the biscuits are baking. 1 lb your favorite sausage or ground beef 1½ cups flour 3 cups warm milk 1 tsp salt ½ tsp black pepper Fry the sausage or ground beef until done. Keep the grease in the pan Reduce the heat and add the flour and stir until meat is coated and grease is soaked up. Turn up the heat and gradually add the warm milk. Add salt and pepper to taste and simmer to your desired consistency while stirring constantly. Pop the biscuits from the oven, split open and smother with the gravy. No side with this, it’s hearty on it’s own.

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Jan 19, 2012 8:07 am 
B&G just has to have red pepper flakes and sage to do it for me wink.gif And way less flour (I like 1/3 cup or so) and no salt (the sausage is way salty enough for me). B&G is my fave Sunday breakfast! How the heck do you handle a 70* house though? Ack lol.gif I'd be passing out - we keep it at 64* eek.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Jan 19, 2012 10:40 am 
O I love biscuits & gravy! Esp. Sausage gravy! I'm always a tad disappointed when I order it at a restaurant and it comes with brownish gravy. It's gotta be cream gravy like your recipe makes! And some places never put enough gravy on the biscuits. Nver thought of putting red pepper flakes on 'em - I usually use tobasco, but I'll try red pepper flakes next time! When I was a broke young idiot (instead of an old broke one), I spent about 50 cents a day at work for a big plate of biscuits & gravy & a cuppa joe. It was my breakfast and lunch - I'd go to the company cafeteria aroud 10:30, right before they closed the breakfast menu, and they'd load me up - if I was real lucky, the coffee wasn't too old. That would carry me through the day. I die in a hot house, too. I'm always opening the door and stepping outside. So for $2.50 a week, I'd have breakfast and lunch.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Jan 19, 2012 10:52 am 
Lol....yeah, what is it with anemic bowls of gravy? confused.gif It should be gravy with biscuits lol.gif

half fast

half fast
PostThu Jan 19, 2012 10:58 am 
B n G is the breakfast of champions... up.gif up.gif The best I have ever been a part of making was on a camping trip. The gravey was made from some of the sausage, the biscuits were buttery and I BBQ'd the sausage... yummmmmmmm !!
Quark wrote:
...I'm always a tad disappointed when I order it at a restaurant...
Like you I have almost always been disappointed... The best restaurant B n G that I have found has to be the Iron Skillet in Sedro Woolley... hungry.gif close to perfect gravey, Tarheel sausage and biscuits to die for. The serving is so large that I can only eat the half order. Oh, make sure you go on a hike afterwards... biggrin.gif

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Jan 19, 2012 11:02 am 
There is that one place in Forks....where like 10 or 11 years ago I had stopped in and was going to order a plate - the waitress says "you want a half order". Now why would I buy a half order? Not! But a half order is only a $1 less. "No really. You want a half order". Fine, OK, I listen to her. Holy crap. The full order would have served a family of 4 lol.gif The half order was these massive homemade biscuits literally soaking in gravy. I waddled out. I can only surmise back then that breakfast was a logger special lol.gif

onemoremile

onemoremile
PostThu Jan 19, 2012 11:21 am 
sarbar wrote:
There is that one place in Forks....where like 10 or 11 years ago I had stopped in and was going to order a plate - the waitress says "you want a half order". Now why would I buy a half order? Not! But a half order is only a $1 less. "No really. You want a half order". Fine, OK, I listen to her.
Oh yeah, that place is great. The biscuits and gravy are the best I've found around here. I know to ask for the styrofoam container ahead of time now.

“Arbolist? Look up the word. I don’t know, maybe I made it up. Anyway, it’s an arbo-tree-ist, somebody who knows about trees.” G.W. Bush
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Jan 20, 2012 8:50 am 
Edited ...salt and pepper to taste... just to you Sar

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostWed Mar 28, 2012 1:35 pm 
sarbar wrote:
There is that one place in Forks....where like 10 or 11 years ago I had stopped in and was going to order a plate - the waitress says "you want a half order". Now why would I buy a half order? Not! But a half order is only a $1 less. "No really. You want a half order". Fine, OK, I listen to her. Holy crap. The full order would have served a family of 4 lol.gif The half order was these massive homemade biscuits literally soaking in gravy. I waddled out. I can only surmise back then that breakfast was a logger special lol.gif
Is that that place just outside of town, on 101 heading Port Angeles' way? --Gray

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Mar 28, 2012 1:36 pm 
It was the place that sits kitty corner to the Forks Motel. It was grey-ish in color? It sits on the right side if heading to the Hoh.

tinman

tinman
PostTue Apr 17, 2012 6:26 am 
That would be the "Inn Place" restaurant.

Wherever you go, there you are.......