Forum Index > Trip Reports > Shriner Peak - 7/23/2011
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Old Guy Hiking

Old Guy Hiking
PostTue Jul 26, 2011 9:27 pm 
Hiked Shriner Peak last weekend with two friends. We hit the road early and it was a beautiful day. We were glad to get most of our hiking in before it got hot. It was my first time on this trail, which is in pretty good shape. We ran into snow about 1/2 mile from the top. The snow cover was spotty and covered the trail in spots. My guess is that it will be gone in another week or two. It would have been easy and relatively safe to scramble straight up to the peak on the snow, using the trail where it was visible, but one of our party is from Arizona and not comfortable on snow, so we called it a day and turned around. We plan to return so we can truly cross this one off. Start early, bring water, and watch for streams hidden under thin snow bridges. Poles or an ice axe are a good idea if you plan to scramble the snow. If you slip, some of the runouts are potentially dangerous.

Avatar pic is courtesy of Anne of http://www.wideangle.ca photoblog. Check it out.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Jul 26, 2011 9:52 pm 
Thanks for the conditions update. I was wondering how much snow might still be up there.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message