Forum Index > Trail Talk > Summit lake, Mt Pilchuck NF
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jul 21, 2011 5:29 pm 
A hiking friend has me curious about this lake located just southwest of Pinnacle lake. It doesn't appear to have any trails or roads leading to it. Could it be accessed via the abandoned road leading southwest from the Ashland lakes TH? Has anyone been there or know how to get there? I can find no TR's here on that particular lake. My apologies if this is a seekrit or sacred destination.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gamuru
Cartographile

Gamuru
Cartographile
PostThu Jul 21, 2011 5:44 pm 
I've never been, but if I were to choose a route...
View larger size in new window  📎Summit.gpx (2 KB)

Don "The definition of a mine is a hole in the ground that belongs to a liar." ~Mark Twain
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jul 21, 2011 5:55 pm 
Thanks, I suppose there would also be a cross country route leading west then south of Pinnacle lake.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
the1mitch

the1mitch
PostThu Jul 21, 2011 6:33 pm 
Between the lookout and the sprinkle of lakes known as bathtubs you'll find some narrow ridge exposure and some fatal falls have happened there. The trail from Pinnacle up to the bathtubs is no joy either. the snow at this time would make either route hairy. I'd wait till august 15th or so..

illegitimi non carborundum!
Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Jul 21, 2011 8:40 pm 
Never been there either but I know the old trail came down the ridge on the west side of the lake from 20 Lakes Basin - where the 'R" is in the Forest label on the map above.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Jul 21, 2011 9:09 pm 
The hump up via Pinnacle is a job and a half, but I've done it twice, once with an overnight pack, so it can't be that hard. I haven't gone down to Summit, though. Right now Pinnacle has three feet of snow and is 80% frozen. The good news is the road is fixed so you can drive to the Bear lake trail head.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostFri Jul 22, 2011 5:16 am 
I've been to the Tubs a time or two via Pinnacle. The steep part begins just under 4,200'. One time I saw a party heading SW from that point. They either (1) did not know the route to the Tubs is WNW or (2) were going to attempt to cross the ridge and drop down to Summit.

btspman

btspman
PostFri Jul 22, 2011 12:13 pm 
There's still a ton of snow up there. Getting onto that ridge from mt pilchuck or via pinnacle might be pretty sketchy till it melts out more.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jul 22, 2011 12:30 pm 
When I was up there last year Schoder explained the climbing involved getting to and from Pilchuck. Id like to avoid that. Otherwise CJ I'd head back up there through Pinnacle with ya and drop down to Summit. Gotta get pics of it anyway.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tynan

Tynan
PostSat Aug 01, 2020 7:20 pm 
I stumbled on this thread 9 years too late! In case anyone is interested, here are descent (terrible) and ascent (not bad) routes I took to get to and from Summit Lake while doing vegetation surveys for the park yesterday: https://peakbagger.com/climber/ascent.aspx?aid=1443755

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostSun Aug 02, 2020 1:01 am 
How hard is it to get to Athtubs-bay from Ilchuck-pay? It only looks like and mile and -600' on the map.

Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Aug 02, 2020 11:14 am 
MyFootHurts wrote:
How hard is it to get to Athtubs-bay from Ilchuck-pay? It only looks like and mile and -600' on the map.
Just follow the paint and the worn path and it's fairly easy. There's one very exposed spot in the middle of the ridge where you need your hands. Last I did it took me 2 hours from the lookout.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Aug 02, 2020 9:42 pm 
Do you head down the gun sight or further to west where you can walk out to a viewpoint? I did not know there was paint marking the trail heading down to the tubs, I did know there is paint marking the path up to the tubs from Pinnacle lake.

camut

camut
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 6:51 am 
I have visited 20 Lakes Basin many times, via both routes, but have not been back since the Pinnacle Lake murders. The boot path in the Gun Sight used to be obvious, with plenty of yellow paint there, too. I wouldn't attempt that route unless the snow is gone. Although Summit Lake is only about 1/2 mile from the Basin, it is about an 800' drop.

Tynan

Tynan
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 7:24 am 
I was surprised by the paint labeling Iodine Gulch. It looked very trashy—do you know if this was “volunteer” work?