Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lower Tucsohatchie Lake & Pratt Lake 7-22-2011(Bear signs!)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Rusho

Rusho
PostSat Jul 23, 2011 3:28 pm 
I had a very interesting hike on Friday. There is some large downfall on the trail. This is going down to Lower Tucsohatchie lake:
SANY0177 by zero2blur, on Flickr
SANY0181 by zero2blur, on Flickr But things got really interesting when we saw where a bear had scratched into a tree:
Bear Scratching tree by zero2blur, on Flickr Approximately 50 yards down the trail, I somehow spotted a bear track. This track was pointing towards the lake. Which means it was headed towards the numerous campsites in that area near the lake, and there is only one way into the lake on that hiking trail:
Black Bear Paw Print by zero2blur, on Flickr Here is an outline of the print:
Outline of Black Bear paw print by zero2blur, on Flickr After that, we saw approximately 4 different feces piles and they were big! I did not take photos of those. smile.gif On the way down to the lake, just below the rock quarry, there is a grass field (that a person can easily view while standing in the rock field). Further down the trail I smelled feces. We looked closer and found tall grass that was crushed and bent over by something big, and that trail was going towards the grass field. We believe the bear is in that area. There is definitely a big black bear in the area above Lower Tucsohatchie, and there are feces on the trail very close to the lake and the campsites. The bear appears to be using the main trail to move up and down from the grass field to the camping area. So be careful up there!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message