Forum Index > Food & Grub > Any Seattle sources of freeze-dried chicken?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
marydave
Musical Hikers

marydave
Musical Hikers
PostSat Jul 23, 2011 12:14 pm 
I'm looking to buy plain freeze-dried chicken in the Seattle area. I know I can mail order it from places like packitgourmet.com but I'd like to get it sooner than the package would arrive from TX. Cabela's online had a large quantity at an even larger price ($180!). REI no longer carries it (probably hasn't for ten years at least, I suppose). I might end up home-drying some as I don't fancy carrying a bunch of 7-oz packages. Thanks for any suggestions!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSat Jul 23, 2011 8:38 pm 
Locally I can't help you but if you need large supplies of it I suggest ordering from beprepared.com - they sell the large cans. Packit is good for small amounts.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
iron

iron
PostSun Jul 24, 2011 5:13 pm 
if you have a dehydrator, you can make your own dried chicken in about 8 hours using the chicken in a can stuff (like tuna). drain it, break apart all the chunks, spread on the dehydrator, and viola!

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSun Jul 24, 2011 9:30 pm 
I second Sarah's recommendation of Beprepared.com. I bought a can from them after getting tired of dehydrating the canned chicken. The freeze dried stuff just comes back looking (and tasting) more like chicken with less time and work. Just be prepared to keep getting Beprepared catalogs in the mail forever! My mailman probably thinks I'm some kind of survivalist now.

marydave
Musical Hikers

marydave
Musical Hikers
PostMon Jul 25, 2011 1:00 pm 
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I've dried canned tuna and cooked hamburger in the past, I was just thinking dried cooked chicken would still be like splinters after soaking for 20 minutes. Beprepared.com seems to have the best prices of the sites I've seen. For the imminent trip I'm trying a couple of pouches, one of tuna and one of chicken, then using dried stuff for the rest of the trip. Then I might experiment with drying cooked chicken breast, poached maybe to maximize internal moisture going into the drying process.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Jul 25, 2011 1:02 pm 
With home cooked chicken and drying...be wary, it can go to hard as a rock jerky easily and not rehydrate well. OTOH though if you can pressure cook it at home, then dry it it comes back to life better. The big cans of canned chicken at Costco dry well. Be sure to flake the meat before drying (parchment lined trays work well). Smaller the pieces are, the faster they rehydrate.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
iron

iron
PostMon Jul 25, 2011 1:03 pm 
yeah, we've been using the costco canned chicken and it works great. tastes like real chicken after rehydrating.

Jim Welch

Jim Welch
PostTue Jul 18, 2017 8:45 pm 
Redwicks is in Seattle and they are awesome, you can find them on eBay or they have a website https://www.facebook.com/Redwicks/

The top of a mountain is just the place you turn around and head back down.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jul 18, 2017 8:54 pm 
FWIW: A #10 can of diced chicken is $53 from Mountain House -- Supposedly that's 14 servings -- I've used a #10 can to make chicken-pesto-pine-nut-Linguine for a group of 12 backcountry skiers in a hut -- we had considerable leftovers. https://www.mountainhouse.com/m/product/diced-chicken.html?variant_id=105