Forum Index > Food & Grub > I've et my last MH dinner. Packitgourmet for me!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Jul 24, 2011 2:15 pm 
At Caroline lake, my dinner plans were pretty bad. I brought a mixture of some freeze dried ingredients and flavorings, but the first night at Eightmile they made a barely edible meal. Luckily kite brought some extra food, and he graciously gave me a (single serving) package of Packitgourmet's tortilla soup. It was only about 250 calories, but I happened to have a baggie of extra tortilla chips, so it ended up being plenty of food. I must say, it was perhaps the best soup I ever had, with lots of hearty ingredients like beans and chicken, to make it a real meal. I also liked the little extras they put in, like crystallized lime juice, and hot sauce. cool.gif Then he showed me a package of chicken and dumplings (which he also offered to me) that both he and forest gnome raved about. It looked awesome. (PS: next time, I won't bring any food, just eat kite's extras! embarassedlaugh.gif ) So, I'm on the Packitgourmet website right now, placing an order to take me through most of the backpacking season. Everything looks so good, and I have no doubts it is as good as it looks. The best part is that it isn't any more money than Mountain House per real serving, it comes with a bag to rehydrate it in (or you can stove simmer it), and their serving sizes are actually a meal, unlike the standard MH meals which say two servings but it just ain't true. (Yes, the MH Pro Pak say one serving and they are enough, so it makes you wonder, since they are about 80 to 90% as much food as the supposed two serving dinners. huh.gif ) At Packitgourmet, "two servings" means you will absolutely need two people to eat it. Forest Gnome highly praised the bangers and mash, which for $10 would serve at least two starving people, more likely enough for three. And you can choose your sausage type, pork and beef, or pork and venison. biggrin.gif Now I know this isn't news, people have been talking about Packitgourmet on this website for quite a while. I'm not sure why I didn't listen, probably because the darn MH dinners are so easy to grab when I'm at REI getting stove fuel or something. Well, laziness has its disadvantages, one of them being I ate crummy food when better was available. frown.gif No more! I noticed one of the comments for the bangers and mash mentioned a child named Ford. hmmm.gif Yep, the link was to our own Sarbar's cooking blog. She even added a few little tidbits of wisdom, like that you can get broth concentrate tubes at Trader Joe's that have less sodium than the ones that come with the meal. Thanks, Sar! Another nice thing about Packitgourmet is that you can buy the ingredients and customize you own meals. I'm definitely ordering some of the Kountry Boys sausage, perfect for spicing up a breakfast of powdered eggs. Or you can eat like jerky, though it is more moist and delicious than any jerky (according to the reviewers, one of whom is our Sar).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Jul 24, 2011 3:05 pm 
I just cleaned them out, so no soup for you! embarassedlaugh.gif Here's my order, this will tell you just how good that tortilla soup was. hmmm.gif Yea! You have some tasty treats on their way to your doorstep! An invoice has been sent to the email address you provided. Your order will be processed according to the delivery details and shipped in 2-3 business days. Date: 07-24-2011 17:03 Delivery Method: Flat-Rate Ground Shipping Packit Gourmet 9901 Brodie Lane Ste 160-215, Austin 78748, Texas United States CALL US: 1.888.210.4959 International: 512.707.0795 Fax: 512.410.7180 Email: orders@packitgourmet.com Is this a last minute order? Yes - Please ship my order ASAP! Ordered Products SKU About Item price Quantity Total DNR00014-1 'The Big Easy' Gumbo Options: Serving Size: 1 Serving ($6.99) Toastees?: Yes, Please! $6.99 1 $6.99 DNR00016-2 A Shepherd's Cottage Pie $9.99 1 $9.99 DNR0005-2 Austintacious Tortilla Soup Options: Serving Size: 2 Servings ($8.49) $8.49 2 $16.98 DNR0007-2B Bangers & Mash Options: Sausage Type: Pork & Beef Add Tool Kit?: Yes, Please! $9.99 1 $9.99 DNR00010-1 Dottie's Chicken & Dumplings Options: Serving Size: 1 Serving ($5.99) Toastees?: Yes, Please! $5.99 3 $17.97 DNR00017-2 Texas State Fair Chili Options: Serving Size: 2 Servings ($9.99) $9.99 1 $9.99 DNR00012-2 Tuscan Beef Stew $9.99 1 $9.99 DNR0006-22 Zydeco Red Beans & Rice Options: Sausage Type: Pork & Beef (mild) Toastees?: Yes, Please! Add Tool Kit?: No, Thanks. $9.99 1 $9.99 CND0017 True Lime Natural Crystallized Lime $4.99 1 $4.99 MET0015 Kountry Boys Pork & Beef Sausage $5.49 2 $10.98 MET0029 Splendore Hard Salami $3.49 1 $3.49 MET0035 Sparrer Beef Summer Sausage $2.99 1 $2.99 BEV0014 Instant Cafe Mocha $0.59 10 $5.90 BEV0012 Malaysian Cappuccino $0.49 5 $2.45 MXD0004-8 Moonshine Margarita Options: Serving Size: 8 Serving Pitcher ($9.99) $9.99 1 $9.99 CND0060 Bonne Maman Raspberry and Red Currant Preserves $0.29 10 $2.90 DRY0025 Nido Instant Whole Milk Powder $9.49 1 $9.49 MET0017 Kountry Boys Pork & Venison Sausage $5.49 1 $5.49 Subtotal: $150.56 Shipping Cost: $0.00 Total: $150.56

kite

kite
PostSun Jul 24, 2011 3:14 pm 
you should try some of the stuff at Hawk Vittles http://www.hawkvittles.com/

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Jul 24, 2011 3:28 pm 
Now you tell me! doh.gif embarassedlaugh.gif That will have to be next year. The order I just placed will be all my dinners, most of my lunches, and quite a bit of my breakfasts, for the rest of the year, assuming I do at least 10 more BP trips this year of three days/two nights each. If I had done MH dinners, the $150 would have been just enough for dinners and nothing else. My order above includes such things as crystallized lime juice, margarita mix, morning coffee, dried whole milk, extra sausage (three different kinds), salami, and jelly. I will need to add a few things like some bread, or tortilla chips, some granola bars, crackers, and I am all set. I figure I'm "all in" for about $18 per backpacking trip, not bad for three days/two nights of good food and beverages.

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSun Jul 24, 2011 4:40 pm 
You missed the creamy italian polenta, and the Jamaican peanut porridge. You have to go back and order those, too. They're awesome enough to eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner - whatever.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Jul 24, 2011 7:25 pm 
I didn't even see those. frown.gif Too late now. I also should have gotten one of their cozies, the small one is just 1.5 ounces. doh.gif I hate the way the info I copied and pasted is displayed, all jumbled up. The same thing happens when I copy/paste from the tide charts. There must be a better way to copy/paste stuff than having it look like that, or having to try to "columnize" it by hand. huh.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Jul 24, 2011 7:32 pm 
If I were to not cook ever again when hiking ( that is making my own meals ) I would happily eat PIG's stuff. It is truly that good! And this is coming from someone whose livelihood comes from recipe development! I preach a lot about PIG for good reason. The burger wraps are also very good up.gif Sluggy, do I need to make you a custom cozy? biggrin.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Jul 24, 2011 7:34 pm 
And that sausage is very, very good I might add. Ford loves it!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Jul 24, 2011 7:54 pm 
Custom cozy, eh? hmmm.gif Will it be 1.5 ounces? suuure.gif I am a gram weenie now, remember. embarassedlaugh.gif Seriously, that would be great. I usually use tin foil and a paper towel, but it's the same tin foil I use as a top to my cook pot, and as a windscreen for my stove. Tin foil just doesn't stand up to that much use/abuse. I got two of the pork/beef sausage, and one of the pork/venison, and some summer sausage, and salami. It sounds like a lot, but when you consider that on a three day/two night trip I eat only two breakfasts and two dinners (Sunday breakfast before hiking, Tuesday dinner after getting back), but three lunches, that's 30 lunches, so I will need some other meaty things as well. I'll probably fill in with the Trader Joe's beef, turkey and buffalo jerky I've been using. Then I usually have one or two Mini Bonbel cheeses, the low fat ones, they have them at Costco now (cheeep biggrin.gif ) and some kind of carbohydrate, maybe crackers, or tortilla chips, whatever. I never cook for lunch, I prefer smaller, finger food lunches, and I often eat two, but really just one good lunch between them. I love those mini bonbel cheeses. The sealed wax wrapping keeps them fresh for days and days, and the wax is an excellent candle wax. Great as a fire starter, too.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Jul 24, 2011 7:59 pm 
Baby Walker loooovvvees the mini bel cheeses.....lil' mooch when he sees them!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Jul 24, 2011 8:11 pm 
I love that your kids have hiking-related names. up.gif up.gif I named my son something boring, Jesse James. zzz.gif embarassedlaugh.gif When my son was young, way back last century, he was all arms and legs, I called him spider boy, because he could hug me and his arm went around me two or three times. Then I called him boy for short. My friends said "Don't call him boy, it'll warp his mind". I said it's not boy as in boy, it's short for spider boy. Duh! biggrin.gif Then The Simpsons was invented, so I had to knock it off. After it was done on a TV show, it wasn't any good anymore. frown.gif I can still get a smile out of him by calling him boy. He's in his thirties now.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Jul 24, 2011 9:13 pm 
Thanks for the tips Sluggo, I et one MH dinner and that was enough for me. My hiking friend et a MH breakfast prior to our Vesper scramble, he made it aboot halfway up before depositing his MH crap all over the rocks before heading down...

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Jul 24, 2011 9:46 pm 
I'll bet it didn't look that different on the ground compared to when he ate it. embarassedlaugh.gif I actually thought the meals were edible, I certainly have eaten enough of them. But that's the point, I have had my fill for a lifetime of the mystery sauce and the mystery items mired in it. Over salted, over sauced, very bland, and that bloated feeling afterwards, bleh. The "meats" are all hard-to-rehydrate rectangles of soylent whatever. I'm starting to feel a bit nauseated just thinking about it. tongue.gif After I ate that tortilla soup with extra chips, I felt the satisfaction of a good, healthy meal, with real spices and flavors I could actually identify. Just the packet of lime crystals alone had more flavor in it than every MH meal I ever ate. And it was spicy, but not too spicy, and had extra hot sauce for those people who like their food to make them cry. embarassedlaugh.gif

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Jul 24, 2011 10:28 pm 
That is true, not much difference. When I hiked in the NCNP last Summer with Gnome he had some freeze dried meals that he ordered online and they were awesome! Here is the PM that he sent me as to where he ordered them. "Enertiatrailfoods....packlite foods (paklite)?....packitgourmet was the eggs...you can order the 10$ size for 2 and re-pack it..."

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Jul 25, 2011 8:03 am 
Packlite meals are also very good, not sonwell known. They are not full of junk...Enertia meals are OK but not as good as Packlite or PIG IMO.