Forum Index > Food & Grub > I've et my last MH dinner. Packitgourmet for me!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostMon Jul 25, 2011 8:30 am 
Another item you need to add to your next PIG order is the 3 bean salad. Yes, you can have a lovely veggie side dish while backpacking! I found that it didn't fully rehydrate in cold water. It did better when I added hot water, tucked it into my Pringles can portable rehydrating tube (rigid enough that the baggie of food won't puncture and smoosh all over the place, and super light), and chowed down a few hours later. I add the water at breakfast if I want the bean salad for lunch. Add hot water at lunch if I want the salad for dinner.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Jul 25, 2011 8:35 am 
Jen, that bean salad is amazing over rice or pasta as well....yum!!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Jul 25, 2011 9:33 am 
OK, I have trip coming up this weekend, and my food won't be here in time. So what do I do for this one last "pre-PIG" trip? Where can I get something good in the next couple of days? Something I can afford to eat? Does REI carry anything edible/affordable? I see that 450 calories worth of Mary Jane's Farm chili costs $11.25! Holy cow, that's a lot for beans, spices and a bit of holy cow. Backpacker's Pantry wants $10 for 600 calories worth of shepherd's stew. Ouch, I didn't know shepherds were so hard to catch and cook up. embarassedlaugh.gif Now I understand why I ate all those MH meals from REI: I was trying to stay financially solvent.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Jul 25, 2011 9:55 am 
You could get all crazy and make a DIY FBC meal clown.gif Since ya'all have the expert right here to help ya!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Jul 25, 2011 10:03 am 
That reeks of effort. embarassedlaugh.gif I'm a slacker. I can barely muster the gumption to hike in the first place. If I can get myself over to REI to get some stove fuel and a couple of meals it will be a miracle. I tell people how lazy I am but they always think I'm kidding. huh.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Jul 25, 2011 10:09 am 
Lol...you keep an industry going wink.gif lol.gif OK, I'll give you something even you can make: http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/pecan-cranberry-ranch-chicken-salad You can get the chicken pouch in the tuna aisle at Safeway, the dressing tubs are sold in multi packs (Hidden Valley brand) with the salad dressing aisle at Safeway and the dried cranberries, well think Craisins. Pack in some flour tortillas...... This one is also good (find freeze dried corn at good ol' REI) http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/southwest-chicken-corn-wraps Hows about instant rice, instant refried beans, tortillas and salsa? Add cheese and you have trail burritos.... Or get really lazy and buy the new-ish wraps by MH that you add tortillas to. The Mary Jane meals, some of them can be converted to burrito fillings btw.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Jul 25, 2011 10:26 am 
Hmm, now you're talking. I could take that MJF organic chili con carne, make two servings out of it, and use flour tortillas to make burritos, using the chili as the filler, and then it would be enough food for two meals. hmmm.gif Thanks, it sounds good, affordable and no extra work. biggrin.gif

Man-inna-hillz

Man-inna-hillz
PostMon Jul 25, 2011 11:51 am 
I'm intrigued. Is PIG avaiable at REI? Or do I need to special order? If so, how quick can it get to California?

The God of language forgives all crimes. -W.H. Auden
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Jul 25, 2011 11:59 am 
It is by mail ordering for PIG. They come from Texas but are usually pretty quick, especially if you email them and plead your case wink.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Jul 25, 2011 12:01 pm 
Slugman the only warning I can give you about the meat containing Mary Jane meals is that the meat is literally shredded organic jerky. I was a little bummed last summer when I tried them out - though they tasted great! If you have ever seen "snuff" jerky (comes in chew containers) at truck stops try it in meals, it is cheap and full of protein.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Jul 25, 2011 6:51 pm 
I just got back from REI. What a nightmare, worse than my wildest fears. I bought a Backpacker's Pantry chicken with potatoes and stuffing. $7.50 for 600 calories. But it has 2,920 mg of sodium! That's enough for almost 1.5 days of a healthy person, crammed into one meal. If I had seen that, I wouldn't have bought it. I may still take it back. It reminds me of an episode of Futurama, where Bender the robot tries to cook dinner, and almost poisons his friends with salt. When they complain, he defends himself by saying "That was 10% less than a lethal dose!" lol.gif Then I bought two Mary Jane's Farm dinners, chili con carne, and tex-mex beef casserole. They have 450 and 600 calories respectively, and 1,695 mg and 1065 mg of sodium. That's 70% and 45% of one day's sodium. Only the tex-mex can be considered a healthy meal. And get this: the chili was $11.25, and tex-mex was $13.50!!!! eek.gif That's for one meal for one person! Unbelievable. Now some of the Packitgourmet meals are high in sodium as well. But not high like the BP, more simliar to the MJF. And when Packit says one serving they mean it serves one, not half a person, or two thirds like MJF. Seriously, MJF thinks a person is going to eat a 300 calorie dinner after backpacking all day? Ludicrous. shakehead.gif (the 450 and 600 calorie meals above say they are 1.5 servings each) The packit shepherd's pie costs $10, but it is two servings of 470 calories each, twice as much food as MJF. The bangers and mash is a total of 1,500 calories for $10, triple the value of MJF (purchased at REI, to be fair it might be less direct from MJF). Wait, the packit chicken and dumplings is also super high in sodium. Ouch. But the Texas chili is low in sodium by comparison, the lowest of any food I've mentioned so far. 990 mg for 570 calories. I need to pay more attention to what I'm buying. There's a lot of difference in price, and in sodium content, even between one company's products. It turns out I did very well with my packit purchase, but I made some mistakes as well. I should have passed on the chicken and dumplings, and doubled down on the Texas chili. Oh well. Next year I'll buy all my food before the backpacking season starts, and I'll have it figured out by then.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Jul 25, 2011 6:53 pm 
Exactly! You will dial it in smile.gif And yep, PIG meals are truly fills up 1 with 1 serving. MH and similar are more like fills 1 person with 1 package eek.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Jul 25, 2011 6:54 pm 
Oops and yeah, those 1.5 servings crack me up with MJ. Lol! That is like a brick of ramen serving 2 clown.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Jul 25, 2011 6:56 pm 
PS3: on the chicken and dumplings that was one I swapped out the broth sticks in if I remember right. So you can lower the sodium! You can also just sub in dry ultra low sodium bouillon powder as well! There often is many ways I can make PIG meals lower sodium up.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Jul 25, 2011 7:08 pm 
Yeah, now I remember. That would make a huge difference in that meal. up.gif up.gif Another advantage of the packit meals: they tend to keep some things separate until you add the hot water, so you can sub them out.