Forum Index > Food & Grub > I've et my last MH dinner. Packitgourmet for me!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Sep 10, 2011 6:36 pm 
That mtn house is one serving by the standard I set. That is, around 500 to 600 calories. No way is any mtn house dinner 5 ounces and 1000 to 1,200 calories. So by the mtn house standard of servings, my packitgourmet double meal was four servings.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Zekester
Suckin' wind

Zekester
Suckin' wind
PostFri Nov 11, 2011 8:29 am 
Thanks for the tip about PiG! I ate my last MH meal last week: Chili Mac. I had a gut ache for the rest of the day due to that garbage! gag.gif I just ordered some Austintacious Tortilla Soup as a test run, but based off of the reviews I've read so far I'll probably be ordering a bunch more soon. up.gif

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Nov 11, 2011 10:59 am 
After a whole season of using the Packitgourmet, my favorites are the Texas Sate Fair chili, the Big Easy Gumbo, and the Austinacious tortilla soup. Shepherd's cottage pie was right up there, too. So were the Tuscan beef stew and the Zydeco red beans and rice. I never got around to eating the bangers and mash. I also learned that buying double sized meals just for me and then trying to divide them, saving a couple of bucks, wasn't worth it. But bringing the double meals with another person, and I make dinner one night, and they make it another, that worked great. One of the best backpacking breakfasts I ever had was at Ice lake in the Eagle Cap with mike200 this summer. He brought Packit's egg omelet mix, and I brought Hormel pre-cooked bacon I ordered from Packit (no refrigeration). Normally rehydrated eggs don't appeal to me, but these were rehydrated raw eggs, which then must be cooked in the regular fashion. Mike had brought a 5 ounce frying pan and mini spatula, so we were in business. He had also brought biscuits meant to rise up and be pan-baked, but he forgot to add the yeast, so we fried them up flat. The ham and pepper omelet, the biscuits, the bacon, it was awesome, much better than my usual bagel or lame granola bar. After that I hiked 9 miles in 3.5 hours, downhill yes, but some rough trail along the way, a speed record for me that may never be broken. I credit the breakfast. hmmm.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Nov 11, 2011 11:47 am 
The eggs, OVA brand, are very much worth the cost (PIG sells them). They are from Wa as well last I checked (out in Lacey).

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Nov 11, 2011 12:10 pm 
You can also buy the no-cook bacon and the dried eggs at the grocery store.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Nov 11, 2011 12:17 pm 
http://www.packitgourmet.com/Diner-Deluxe-Scrambled-Eggs.html Those are very, very tasty. And yes, while one can in theory do it all at home, the convenience of having it all ready to go is worth the cost for the backpacker. No mess, no fuss - and no dealing with buying a 10 pack of eggs and only needing 4 eggs worth. So yes, you will pay a bit more....but not everyone has a need for a DIY outdoor pantry (which yes, I have one...but I cook a lot!). I'd say PIG fills that niche well.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Nov 11, 2011 12:22 pm 
I have talked about these before:
http://www.packitgourmet.com/Skillet-Buttermilk-Biscuits-with-Texas-Cream-Gravy-p135.html The sausage crumbles make the breakfast! Yeah, it is a pot + frypan deal but worth it.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Nov 11, 2011 2:02 pm 
Or you can do biscuits and gravy for a fraction of the price with items off the grocery store shelves.

Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostFri Nov 11, 2011 2:12 pm 
Allison wrote:
Or you can do biscuits and gravy for a fraction of the price with items off the grocery store shelves.
You can buy anything at the grocery store. Perhaps you should start a thread about food you can also make from things you buy from a grocery store. --Gray

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Nov 11, 2011 2:13 pm 
Oh of course you can Allison. But as we just covered it....there is the convenience factor. My business is recipe development but even I acknowledge that there is a need for pre-done meals. I prefer to point folks to well proven meals in that case wink.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Nov 11, 2011 2:17 pm 
I would probably get a ration of sh1t if I started a new thread. I am not in the business of selling anything or promoting any website. So many things are simply right at your fingertips that there is no need to mail order precooked bacon as it is widely available at your corner grocery store.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Nov 11, 2011 2:23 pm 
For people who do NOT live in a big city or town actually finding all the ingredients can be hard. Not every small town has good choices. Frankly I find it cheaper to buy online (PIG, Minimus, Frontier Food Co-op, Harmony House Foods, and so forth) due to many of them giving free shipping on orders. For example lets say I need black bean flakes and have to drive to Issquah to buy them I will drop $5-10 in just gas! With careful planning one can shop easily online and actually save money and time. This is one reason why I always include links in my recipes to where items can be found - make it easy on people. But hey, must be nice living in a city rolleyes.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Nov 11, 2011 2:27 pm 
I've never in my entire life seen precooked, no refrigeration bacon for sale in any store. (It's the no refrigeration part that is just as important as the pre-cooked part.) But I also must say I haven't really looked for it, either. It certainly isn't available at Trader Joe's or Costco. Anyway, where you get the stuff makes no difference to me. The point of my post was that a good breakfast made me hike better, and was worth the extra effort and weight and cost, which I didn't believe was true before that breakfast. Possibly this was due to my history of solo hiking, where I have to do and bring everything. A smaller point was that pre-cooked eggs, which are meant to be rehydrated then eaten, like a MH breakfast, are nasty to me, but the ones that are then cooked were almost as good to me as fresh.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Nov 11, 2011 3:03 pm 
Sluggy, it is often sold in the bacon department (even though it is already cooked) or on a rack in the fresh meat dept. It is well hidden! The crumbled cooked bacon is usually hidden in the salad dressing aisle.

Ranger Smith

Ranger Smith
PostFri Nov 11, 2011 4:09 pm 
Allison wrote:
So many things are simply right at your fingertips that there is no need to mail order precooked bacon as it is widely available at your corner grocery store.
You haven't been to Kapowsin recently, have you? embarassedlaugh.gif

I'm a man, I can change, if I have to, I guess.