Forum Index > Food & Grub > Sourdough Pancakes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Jan 08, 2012 8:48 am 
It’s a cool 40* outside and a comfortable 68 inside. I think I shall make some sourdough pancakes. Here’s whatcha do. Get some of this, Starter , send em a couple bucks, they’re good folks. Use this recipe using a wooden spoon. Heat up the griddle, cast iron of course, and make em up. Slap on some real butter and maple syrup. And I mean REAL butter and maple syrup. We’re going for taste here, not filler material. Fry up some eggs your way along with some good maple cured hickory smoked bacon or some sausage from the butcher or your favorite market. What a way to start the day. Life couldn't better.

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
touron

touron
PostSun Jan 08, 2012 6:56 pm 
hungry.gif My Uncle (and Aunt), whom our family would visit just about every year, sometimes for a week, would make us sourdough pancakes every day. I am a pancake fiend. Having pancakes every day for a week, for me at that age, was like a preview of Heaven. Often other relatives would wander in for the breakfast as well, so he would be flipping sourdoughs for let's see...7...9..11...13 or 14 people. Of course he would get up at the crack of dawn to get things going, and I'd always here him rustling in the kitchen, probably before I fell back to sleep again. Prior to his breakfast making for touron and siblings, he worked for the Forest Service, riding a horseback. And the word he used to call his horse in the morning? "Hotcakes!" Yes on the real butter and maple syrup and thick chewy bacon.
Quote:
What a way to start the day. Life couldn't better.
hungry.gif biggrin.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostSun Jan 08, 2012 7:33 pm 
My mom kept a sourdough started going for years. Of course, one of the benefits of having to use (and feed) it regularly is sourdough pancakes.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSun Jan 08, 2012 8:48 pm 
You have me drooling!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Jan 08, 2012 9:17 pm 
What's your address over there? hmmm.gif hungry.gif My GF and I had already decided to have breakfast for dinner tomorrow night. Pancakes (a mix. frown.gif But a decent mix), apple-smoked bacon, eggs, and fresh-squeezed OJ. And of course real maple syrup and real butter. The syrup I usually get at Costco, but the last time I was out I got it at Trader Joe's instead, good dark stuff, in the bottle it looks like aged bourbon.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSun Jan 08, 2012 10:58 pm 
Would some one please figure out how to make em with a plain ol package of yeast. lol.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostSun Jan 08, 2012 11:30 pm 
Hulksmash wrote:
Would some one please figure out how to make em with a plain ol package of yeast. lol.gif
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Bread/SourdoughStarter.htm

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostMon Jan 09, 2012 12:00 am 
Thankyou. up.gif up.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
rasbo

rasbo
PostMon Jan 09, 2012 11:43 am 
Slugman wrote:
What's your address over there? hmmm.gif hungry.gif My GF and I had already decided to have breakfast for dinner tomorrow night. Pancakes (a mix. frown.gif But a decent mix), apple-smoked bacon, eggs, and fresh-squeezed OJ. And of course real maple syrup and real butter. The syrup I usually get at Costco, but the last time I was out I got it at Trader Joe's instead, good dark stuff, in the bottle it looks like aged bourbon.
slugman where are you getting apple smoked bacon???

rasbo

rasbo
PostMon Jan 09, 2012 11:50 am 
man thats sounds good.First time I had sour dough pancakes was in Idaho,we packed in on horses to hunt.The cook said we were having sweatpads and ham for breakfast..didn't ask, but found out it was sour dough pancakes and ham.I was impressed.being out in the wilderness and dining on these was awesome..

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Jan 09, 2012 1:06 pm 
Trader Joe's sells a really good apple smoked bacon, no added nitrates or nitrites, thick slices, and they sell "ends and pieces" at a discount, and those packages contain more of the smoky outer layers, and it's a dollar cheaper for a bigger package. biggrin.gif I usually bake it in the oven in a glass baking dish, it cooks up just right in about 20 minutes at 375, giving me the right amount of time to make the pancake batter, heat up the griddle, etc, and get everything else cooked.

rasbo

rasbo
PostMon Jan 09, 2012 2:28 pm 
thank you sir

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Jan 09, 2012 4:49 pm 
You're welcome. I'm starting to salivate about it a little, since we are having it tonight. hungry.gif I don't get home until 7 or 7:15 on weekdays, so I'm going to get everything going, then start watching the college football championship game on the DVR while my GF finishes up the eggs and pancakes. Then look out! It's eatin' time! cool.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Jan 10, 2012 11:29 pm 
We had our feast and it was great. I didn't cook up the bacon, as my GF had bought some chicken sausages from Trader Joe's, I forget the brand, some Italian-sounding name that begins with an I (Isernio's). But they are very low fat, just 1.5 grams per link, yet they are very tasty. The whole package of ten links has less fat than one standard hot dog.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Jan 11, 2012 7:19 pm 
The sourdough starter has started. Now come Saturday morning ... Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."