Forum Index > Trip Reports > Esmerelda Basin to Fortune Creek Pass 7/22/11
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostFri Jul 22, 2011 9:46 pm 
This is prime time for Esmerelda. 7 miles RT 1700-1800 ft gain with many options for more gain and pain. Go now! Today was glorious with a cool breeze, NOT ONE BITING BUG and full sun. All you whiners about not having anywhere to hike should just put a sock in it. Today's drive in on the Teanaway Rd involved many animals trying to become my dinner. Cows were on the gravel section, Deer and tons of suicidal birds. Drive carefully. Things are just different with all the logging in there now. I got a late start and the parking lot was full at 11:30 on a Friday but I only had to park a few cars down the road. There always seems to be a dog issue on these trails and today was the pooping by the TH sign brown lab from Oregon. Of course the owners didn't clean it up and oddly I never saw them on the Esmerelda trail the entire day which means that they most probably were on the Ingalls "no dang dogs" trail.
It still says "NO DOGS".  Hint hint
It still says "NO DOGS". Hint hint
I wanted flowers and a mostly snow free trail and that's exactly what I got. Most of the blow downs have been cleared (just not on the old boggy lower trail). Lots of fresh horse poop to step over but they haven't muddied up the trail too much yet. There are many many stream crossings all the way up but none were scary and didn't seem any worse in the late afternoon on the way down. Flowers start right away. And the rocky outcroppings before the Ingalls turnoff have some amazing pink displays going on.
Penstemon/Columbia Lewisia Pinkness
Penstemon/Columbia Lewisia Pinkness
In the pink
In the pink
Penstemon Close Up
Penstemon Close Up
Penstemon Hot Pinkness
Penstemon Hot Pinkness
Soon you come upon the meadow of wonderment. It's boggy but full of beauty.
Meadow of wonder
Meadow of wonder
Meadow at it's peak of bloom
Meadow at it's peak of bloom
Elephants Head
Elephants Head
White Bog Orchid
White Bog Orchid
I always take the old trail in and the new upper trail out and was hoping all the water wasn't going to make that a big muddy mistake. It was pretty mucky but worth it for the extra flowers that I was able to see.
Bracted Lousewort
Bracted Lousewort
Green Bog Orchid
Green Bog Orchid
Yellow Monkey Flower
Yellow Monkey Flower
State Bird Food
State Bird Food
Then I ran into the droppings of the Teanaway Pistachio Bandit ONCE AGAIN.
The Teanaway Pistachio Bandit
The Teanaway Pistachio Bandit
He always seems to get to my hikes right before me. dizzy.gif Soon you rejoin the real trail and pass a junction for an old mining area (yet to be explored by me). There's no sign pointing "thataway" just a sign for Esmerelda.
Junction for the old mining area
Junction for the old mining area
Then it starts a totally reasonable grade of ascent up into rock rubble and Anemone territory. I didn't even try to photograph the Anemones as the wind was providing quite the natural AC all the way up. You pass a junction for Lake Ann (County Line Trail) and an incredible lunch spot soon appears after a minor bit of snow.
Snowy Fortune Creek Pass
Snowy Fortune Creek Pass
Water Water Everywhere
Water Water Everywhere
Almost to the pass
Almost to the pass
Hawkins Mt. from the pass
Hawkins Mt. from the pass
Lunch Knoll up that way
Lunch Knoll up that way
You get a great view of Hawkins, Ingalls, Esmereldas and the tip of Stuart from here. I found a windbreak and had the pass mostly to myself the entire time.
Shoeless shot
4 labels
Shoeless shot
After a nice rest and a lingonberry and PB sandwich I was ready to head back down. What else did I see... Just more flowers, views and horse poop (which for some amazing reason was fly free today).
Columbine
Columbine
Queens Cup
Queens Cup
Longs Pass trail
Longs Pass trail
Looking towards Longs Pass
Looking towards Longs Pass

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ashleys237

ashleys237
PostSat Jul 23, 2011 5:48 pm 
dogs are allowed on the longs pass trail, and all other trails in the area except the ingalls lake trail. Just FYI smile.gif

marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostSat Jul 23, 2011 7:05 pm 
Great report. It looks to be prime flower time on a prime flower hike.

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostSat Jul 23, 2011 7:08 pm 
ashleys237 wrote:
dogs are allowed on the longs pass trail, and all other trails in the area except the ingalls lake trail. Just FYI smile.gif
Well, Ingalls Way trail #1390 starts immediately off of the Esmerelda Trail. It would seem that if dogs were to be ok on the Longs Pass trail they would have to come in from the other side of the pass. The FS website and the Cle Elum Ranger trail guide state that dogs are not allowed on Ingalls Way #1390 pretty clearly. But maybe I miss interpret that.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
ashleys237

ashleys237
PostSun Jul 24, 2011 11:14 am 
i've asked the rangers about it and you can take dogs on the trail to longs pass, they just don't want dogs at ingalls lake. i think they should have better signage for this, as us dog owners have to endure lots of mean looks and snide remarks along the way. it's worth it though, what a beautiful hike!

joyhiker
joyhiker

joyhiker
joyhiker
PostMon Jul 25, 2011 11:47 pm 
What would you suggest if a person wanted to backpack this trail? Are there any camps around the area? Joyhiker

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostTue Jul 26, 2011 7:35 am 
There are many places to camp in the first 2 miles (a few more spots on the lower boggy trail). The mine trail has a huge camp spot and I would imagine more on the way in. Fortune Creek Pass is windy but also has a big area to camp. I don't know about the area over to Lake Ann or down from Fortune Creek to Gallagher Head Lake but I would imaging there are good spots, just more motorized vehicles on the Gallagher side. You can do a big 12 mile loop if you go up to Fortune and down to Gallagher and out to the road with a 2 mile road walk back up to the parking area.

joyhiker
joyhiker

joyhiker
joyhiker
PostTue Jul 26, 2011 10:01 am 
Thanks! The Mine trail?? Don't know about that one ...don't see that one on the green trail...I've always avoided this area because of the many cars parked @ the trailhead....am quite familiar with most of the Teanaway except this trail...Joyhiker

Stella

Stella
PostTue Jul 26, 2011 8:06 pm 
I think the monkey flower is actually a rock penstemon. Encountered a similar flower on Pollalie Ridge over the weekend and found the ID on the Burke Herbarium website.
Rockpenstemon
Rockpenstemon

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Jul 26, 2011 8:22 pm 
Because of your nice flower report, we wanted to do this yesterday. We got to the trailhead as about 25 kids and several adults were hoisting their packs for a backpacking trip. We hemmed and hawed about it and were on the fence about whether to do another trail instead, when 12 horses with riders and a mule came out of the shrubbery down the road and plodded up the trail. That tipped the scales, and we went to Iron Pk instead.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostTue Jul 26, 2011 8:54 pm 
I forgot a couple of photos, not that they're all that exciting. Monkey Flower error all fixed now too. I was fooled by the color and didn't even bother to identify the petals and leaves.
West Esmerelda?
West Esmerelda?
Typical scene every 5 minutes
Typical scene every 5 minutes