Forum Index > Trip Reports > Fay Peak, Mt. Pleasant and Spray Park - 7.28.2011
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostFri Jul 29, 2011 9:50 pm 
I've been to Mowich Lake a lot of times... and I have never seen the road in better condition... if you can find a pothole or some washboarding on it, take a photo and send it to me because we didn't see either on the entire drive. From the main parking area (~4930') we walked into the campground (most sites are still covered with snow) and hiked the .1 miles around the lake to the Patrol Cabin... stepped across the log at the "Unmaintained Trail" sign and headed up toward Knapsack Pass on a snow-covered, but easy to follow trail. At ~5400 feet we left the beaten path, turned south and worked our way over to the long west ridge of Fay Peak on open terrain. Once we reached the ridge (~5800'), we followed it east to the summit block (~6250')... hiked a short distance along the south side of the summit block and found a good path (brushy at first) that led up to the summit (6494')... Class 2. After a leisurely stay on the Fay summit, we continued east along the ridge until we were forced off the ridge on the south side... continued beneath the ridge for an eighth of a mile and found a path leading back up to the ridge top... then stayed on the ridge until we found a mostly snow-free route down to ~6120 feet on the north side of the ridge... where we began the traverse on snow or scree over to Knapsack Pass (6200'). From the pass we dropped onto the huge, mostly snow-covered shelf (~5920') on the east side of pass... then continued south for awhile before taking a direct, snow-covered route to the Mt. Pleasant summit (6454'). After a relaxing stay on the Mt. Pleasant summit we continued SW and followed the ridge to the saddle (~6200') between Pleasant and Hessong Rock... then dropped into the snow-covered Spray Park (~5700')... where rodman's GPS helped us find the Wonderland Trail that led us down to ~4880 feet and the short side trip over to Spray Falls... now on snow-free trail, it didn't take very long to finish up the last two miles back to Mowich Lake. 6.8 miles total, gaining 2616 feet of elevation. Normally at this time of year, Spray Park is awash with Avalanche Lilies... however, that will not happen this year for at least another two weeks of warm weather. We used our microspikes for a short distance getting up to the west ridge of Fay Peak... and we used our ice ax for a short distance coming down from the ridge leading from Fay Peak to Knapsack Pass. I've never seen Spray Park so peaceful... we saw two skiers on the east side of Knapsack Pass... and perhaps a dozen people between Spray Falls and Mowich Lake. Spray Falls is definitely worth the side trip. GPS route and photos of our trip to Fay Peak and Mt. Pleasant ..

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSat Jul 30, 2011 12:16 am 
That Knapsack Pass - Spray Park loop is one of the best hikes going, IMHO. The first time I did it, I started out with no beta, at all, and wound up going over Fay Peak by accident. embarassedlaugh.gif Whichever way you go, the view from Knapsack Pass is pretty special.
Mt Rainier from Knapsack Pass
Mt Rainier from Knapsack Pass
I've never done it in snow, but I always thought that the descent from the Pass to the bench would be much easier on snow than on that big, loose talus. Anyhow, neat trip. up.gif up.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Popcorn

Popcorn
PostSat Jul 30, 2011 12:13 pm 
MANY thanks. Great photos at the link you provided. Does anyone have a link to a 2010-2011 monthly snowfall accumulation in MRNP?.

TrailPair

TrailPair
PostSat Jul 30, 2011 9:08 pm 
Great trip! We haven't hiked in the park since we got the Chihuahuas.

This thing called work is interfering with my play
tigermn

tigermn
PostSat Jul 30, 2011 9:32 pm 
Thanks for the trip info. I started to do this last year but got fogged out at Knapsack pass and wasn't real keen on low/no visibility route finding being solo.

BarbE

BarbE
PostSun Jul 31, 2011 9:31 am 
Ragman promised Fay Peak would would deliver a lot of bang for the buck, and boy, did it ever! My new favorite Mt. Rainier perch. up.gif Prepared for the usual Rainier mosquito blood fest I came prepared. Fortunately Deet, Sting-ezze and headnet never left the pack. Hard to believe at the end of July!
heading up to Fay Peak
heading up to Fay Peak
Veggie belay/scramble below Fay Peak
Veggie belay/scramble below Fay Peak
ridge leading to Fay Peak
ridge leading to Fay Peak
group on Fay Peak
group on Fay Peak
Knappsack Pass & The Mothers
Knappsack Pass & The Mothers
Ragman ahead of us
Ragman ahead of us