Forum Index > Trip Reports > Marmot Pass and beyond
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
FungiFan

FungiFan
PostWed Aug 03, 2011 10:29 am 
Inspired by recent reports of people actually making it to the alpine country of ONP/ONF before summer comes to a close we decided to hike the Big Quilcene trail to Marmot Pass. We left early Tuesday am and found the Trail head was moderately busy for a week day, probably from pent up demand. The forecast was for mostly sunny, we had mostly cloudy with occasional sunny spells on the way up. Given this hike starts climbing from the get go that was probably a good thing! Big Quilcene river from the trail
Log Jam on the BIg Quilcene River
Log Jam on the BIg Quilcene River
Big Quilcene River
Big Quilcene River
Log Jam on the Big Quilcene
Log Jam on the Big Quilcene
Trailside waterfall
Trailside waterfall
Wildflower meadow
Meadow
Meadow
Peak-a-boo views of Ridge of the Gargoyles on the way up
Boulder Ridge
We passed a few people heading out after camping at Camp Mystery. A few snow patches around Camp Mystery and higher but nothing worth noting. A light rain began as we completed the hike up to the Pass but it quickly cleared while we stopped and ate lunch. A pair of hikers came down off the south ridge just as we finished. I asked about trail conditions to the south thinking ahead to a hike up to the Charlia Lakes sometime later this month. They had some vague information so Frog Farm and I decided to hike up and check it out. Now we have been to Marmot Pass several times and the view blows you away, but we had no idea what you can see if you take that faint way trail along the S ridge. There was still some steep snow along the ridge but microspikes were not needed. It started raining again but we carried on to Boulder Ridge at which point the trail stops, the rain stopped and the views opened up to this...
View from above Marmot Pass
View from above Marmot Pass
You can now see further south and directly up the Heather Creek basin. In addition more of the northern Dungeness Valley is visible than can be seen from Marmot Pass. Close up of Inner Constance
Inner Constance
Inner Constance
Inner Constance with close ups of ? Mt Stone in distance through Constance Pass
Looking down on campers, tents and Boulder Shelter
Boulder Shelter from the ridge
Boulder Shelter from the ridge
Looking straight up the Heather Creek drainage, Mt Mystery on the R
Looking N back towards Marmot Pass at Mt Buckhorn and Iron Mt
Mt Buckhorn
Mt Buckhorn
The meadow below Marmot Pass
Meadow below Marmot Pass
Meadow below Marmot Pass
We climbed back down off the ridge to Marmot Pass and then began retracing our steps to the trail head. I lost track of how many incoming campers we met on the way down. The parking lot was almost full! For anyone planning a trip to Marmot Pass I would highly recommend going the extra ~ 1 mile along that south ridge. It opens up the view of the Dungeness Valley both north and south and is worth the extra climb. FF

Stupid isn't illegal...but sure comes with consequences. Famous last words: 'Here, hold my beer and watch this.'
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tigermn

tigermn
PostWed Aug 03, 2011 11:45 am 
FungiFan wrote:
For anyone planning a trip to Marmot Pass I would highly recommend going the extra ~ 1 mile along that south ridge. It opens up the view of the Dungeness Valley both north and south and is worth the extra climb.
Nice report. I kinda wondered what it might have been like coming up the other side (I came up Tubal Cain trail on Monday). Heading north from the pass ain't half bad either plus then the option to ramble up Buckhorn Peak for even more views. Looked like some snow fields still to traverse but I didn't go far enough towards the pass from the north to see what the conditions were really like. If you are uncomfortable on traversing snow fields though it is something to think about. I know many on NW hikers take it as nothing but if you aren't one of those it is something to consider.

FungiFan

FungiFan
PostWed Aug 03, 2011 2:51 pm 
I was surprised at how little snow there was on the Big Quilcene trail. Since the spring we had been climbing ever higher from the Dungeness trail assuming it would likely melt out sooner given the exposure. We too had considered the Tubal Cain approach and might have done it if we had seen your TR before leaving, I choose the BQ trail as several at WTA reported no issues last weekend. You can see from our pictures that Buckhorn is snow free on the S exposure. There was no snow on the portion of the Tubal Cain trail seen from Marmot Pass, nor on the trail ascending Buckhorn. Our one attempt to climb Buckhorn turned into a white out so it remains on the to do list. Given the late snow melt and my need to study for an upcoming recertification exam it will likely wait until next season. My priorities this year will be a return to Upper Royal basin and to Charlia lakes. FF

Stupid isn't illegal...but sure comes with consequences. Famous last words: 'Here, hold my beer and watch this.'
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostWed Aug 03, 2011 3:11 pm 
Did you get a glimpse of the snow conditions down on the Charlia Gap boot path above Boulder Shelter?

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
FungiFan

FungiFan
PostWed Aug 03, 2011 5:35 pm 
No, unfortunately not. That was what I was hoping to assess when we took the ridge path. There are patches of snow around Boulder Shelter as you can see. What I couldn't see was just around the ridge S of Boulder Shelter where the trail continues S and then the final eastward, steep ascent to the pass into Charlia Lakes frown.gif . If the last section has snow it would be a no go for us. Realistically I think my next trip won't be until the end of the month so it should be snow free by then. FF

half fast

half fast
PostWed Aug 03, 2011 8:24 pm 
Nice TR and photos... up.gif up.gif Looks like a fun day playin' in the Olys... agree.gif Thanks for sharing... biggrin.gif

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast
Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostWed Aug 03, 2011 11:18 pm 
Went up that same ridge when I was last there. Saw a fantastic sunrise from there and the views are much better than at the pass!

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
FungiFan

FungiFan
PostThu Aug 04, 2011 8:43 pm 
Tuesday, Aug 2nd. I just read your report, great pictures as always. FF

Phil

Phil
PostFri Aug 05, 2011 6:05 am 
FungiFan wrote:
Meadow below Marmot Pass
Meadow below Marmot Pass
Love this one!

Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostFri Aug 05, 2011 6:41 am 
Very nice trip and report, as always, FF. It is surprsing how much the view improves if you are willing to run the ridge either south from Marmot Pass, or north and up the Buckhorn way trail, even a fairly short distance. Really enjoyed your shots of Inner Constance and Constance Pass--amazing how much snow is still on the north-facing section of Constance Pass this late in the summer.