Forum Index > Trip Reports > Return to Obstruction Point 07-19-11 & 7-20-11 (Olys)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostThu Jul 21, 2011 8:41 am 
Normally, I would not be posting again about a place I visited and posted about as recently as July 15, but I've taken the week off to get in some conditioning hikes carrying a heavy load across snow at >5000 ft, all in preparation for a trip I've got coming up soon this "summer." The trek out toward Obstruction Point from Waterhole provided the most convenient conditioning area for me, and I took a few photos along the way. It was tough work, but somebody had to do it. First, ONP has thrown heavy equipment at the lingering snow on the still-closed road past Waterhole. As of July 20, the road had been cleared up to about the 5650 foot level. There are still thousands of lineal feet of snow to be removed before the front-end loader reaches Obstruction Point, but ONP is getting there, one front-end bucket load at a time. I must say that the heavy-equipment operator was constantly busy during the time I watched, and the final photo in this series shows you some of the challenges they face clearing this road, where the snow in some cases is far higher than the front-end loader.
~5280 ft
~5280 ft
~5440 ft
~5440 ft
~5480 ft
~5480 ft
~5500 ft
~5500 ft
clearing road at ~5650 ft  1
clearing road at ~5650 ft 1
clearing road at ~ 5650 ft 2
clearing road at ~ 5650 ft 2
clearing road at ~ 5650 ft 3
clearing road at ~ 5650 ft 3
Those photos were taken on Tuesday, but when I returned on Wednesday the snow removal efforts had stopped and the front-end loader was parked at about 5600 feet. Fine with me, as it allowed me to enjoy the sound of the wind in the trees and the omnipresent sound of running water. The snow is melting fast, but there's still a massive amount of snow over sections of the road. Took some time to admire the views and the flowers, which are popping out everywhere. Lots of Silky Phacelia as usual right along the road where it drops down toward the east from Point 6032. The fields of avalanche lillies are beginning to make a show. On the way back up the hill toward Point 6032, took some photos of the massive flower show visible from the road shoulder. Here are a few views of conditions along the closed Obstruction Point road on Wednesday, July 20:
Around the bend
Around the bend
heading toward Obstruction
heading toward Obstruction
Road-edge flower show
Road-edge flower show
Silky Phacelia
Silky Phacelia
Avalanche lillies and glacier lillies
Avalanche lillies and glacier lillies
roadside flowers 1
roadside flowers 1
roadside flowers 2
roadside flowers 2
roadside flowers 3
roadside flowers 3
roadside flowers 4
roadside flowers 4

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
silence

silence
PostThu Jul 21, 2011 8:54 am 
sweet ... the hills are alive ... la la biggrin.gif gorgeous flowers .. thx for posting

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Jul 21, 2011 10:47 am 
Thanks for the opportunity to say "My tax dollars at work" and not be sarcastic. up.gif up.gif One nice thing is that once the trail head is cleared, the area should be open to hiking, at least to go to Grand valley, etc. I wonder if there are any snow patches left on the trail down from Lillian ridge that might be an issue for a hiker descending to Grand valley? I'm guessing not, since the drop is south-facing. But there might be some issues on the portion of Lillian that contours along the west side before the drop. Did you happen to get a good look at that area, or maybe some pictures? hmmm.gif

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu Jul 21, 2011 11:03 am 
good to know that the road is being cleared and hopefully will open real soon! up.gif great effort for your training! 50 pounds! eek.gif thanks for the flower show biggrin.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Barefoot Jake
Professional Bum

Barefoot Jake
Professional Bum
PostThu Jul 21, 2011 11:05 am 
Slugman wrote:
Lillian that contours along the west side before the drop. Did you happen to get a good look at that area, or maybe some pictures?
For a 'donation into my account', i will be happy to venture to Lake Lillian hihi.gif

silence

silence
PostThu Jul 21, 2011 11:23 am 
slugman ... we have done it over the 4th in the past in a normal snow year just as soon as the road opened .. and there was plenty of snow on the trail even then .. until you dropped down over the ridge into gv .. this bit of traverse on snow was the most exposed

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
FungiFan

FungiFan
PostThu Jul 21, 2011 11:24 am 
Thanks for the update. Looking more and more like snow free hikes in the Olympic high country will be limited this season. On the bright side we are getting our moneys worth from our microspikes! FF

Stupid isn't illegal...but sure comes with consequences. Famous last words: 'Here, hold my beer and watch this.'
Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostThu Jul 21, 2011 2:01 pm 
Slugman wrote:
I wonder if there are any snow patches left on the trail down from Lillian ridge that might be an issue for a hiker descending to Grand valley? I'm guessing not, since the drop is south-facing. But there might be some issues on the portion of Lillian that contours along the west side before the drop. Did you happen to get a good look at that area, or maybe some pictures? :hmmm
Photos from below don't show the trail area so well, but the ONP Trail Condition web site has what is probably Ranger Sam's July 19, 2011 report of the trail conditions from Obstruction Point down into Grand Valley via Lillian Ridge: As of 7-19-11: Mostly continuous snow to Lillian Ridge junction; only patchy snow remains on switchbacks to Badger Valley/Grand Lake junction. Creek ford above Grand Lake currently running 8' wide and 6-12" deep. 3 down trees. Patchy snow remains on Grand Lake Trail; all campsites clear of snow. Toilets & bear wires are operational. 2-4' of patchy snow to Moose Lake; all campsites are clear of snow. Bear wire and toilet is operational. Trail to Gladys Lake covered intermittently 2-5' deep. Some easy route finding necessary. Beware of snow bridges! Two snow-free campsites. Lake partially melted out. Bear wire is operational. Mostly continuous 3-10' of snow remains to Grand Pass. Beware of snow bridges! Route-finding skills required; ice axe and crampons advised. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ I'd say Grand Valley is a big GO! right now. The road walk from Waterhole to Obstruction Point is very pleasant 4 miles and not too hard. There are some steep snowy sidehill sections, but as long as the snow is soft, no problem. If the snow freezes, you're going to want have something to stop you from sliding down the hill if you fall, such as an ice axe. But really, the lake campsites are melted out, the road walk will keep the number of hikers down. Get a reservation and go for it!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Jul 21, 2011 2:47 pm 
I was there just two years ago. On July 21st as it so happens. No snow at all, even at Grand pass. I saw my first bear while in possession of a decent telephoto lens near Gladys lake. biggrin.gif Rare bear reflection shot:

Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostThu Jul 21, 2011 3:03 pm 
That's a really nice photo, Slugman. They don't call it Grand Valley for nothing.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Jul 21, 2011 3:21 pm 
Thanks. I had just enough light left to get a couple non-blurry pics. I don't recall ever seeing a bear reflection shot before. And of course I lost another bandana to the deer at Moose lake. They will steal anything with sweat on it. huh.gif

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu Jul 21, 2011 3:30 pm 
lighten it

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Jul 21, 2011 3:57 pm 
Good one, bobbi. I don't usually post-process, because it's a lot of work. But that pic was screaming for a simple brightness adjustment. doh.gif

nivaunrahne

nivaunrahne
PostThu Jul 21, 2011 6:50 pm 
Thanks for the update. Between August 19th and September 10th Akula and I will be crossing the Olympics from the Bogachiel to Lower Big Quilcene with a Bailey Range traverse in the middle. Expecting to be at Grand Lake around September 2nd. So I have been very interested in snow reports.

Arrigoni

Arrigoni
PostTue Aug 02, 2011 12:52 pm 
A couple buddies and I went out there this last weekend and while there was some snow on the trail from Obstruction to Grand Lake along Lillian Ridge it wasn't anything to worry about. The mosquitoes and deer at Grand Lake are out in full force smile.gif