Forum Index > Trip Reports > Labyrinth Mtn & Minotaur Lake 8.4.11
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
lovetowonder

lovetowonder
PostSat Aug 06, 2011 10:47 am 
Becky was in town for 3.5 short days this week but she gave me one entire day of those. What to do? Head to the mountains, of course! Thursday dawned a spectacularly beautiful one. We weren't sure where to go until flipping through my 75 WA Scrambles book, Beckey guide and some quick online searching. Only after our trip did I discover a recent trip report up Labyrinth Mtn by Sadie's driver. Sorry to post a repeat TR so soon afterwards. I have to show was the place looks like in the sunshine, though! The drive from Hwy 2 to the Minotaur Lake TH is a beautiful one, about 8 miles up/over Nason Ridge and down into a valley. Once again I found myself driving my very city car up roads it really shouldn't be. And once again it did just fine. We started hiking at 12:11pm.
Leaving the TH at noon
Leaving the TH at noon
Within 5 minutes we met two overnighter hikers on their way out. We didn't see another person the entire trip.
the "trail"
the "trail"
Hit the snow after about 40 minutes and trekked through it up to the lake.
Snow starting
Snow starting
Minotaur Lake!
Minotaur Lake!
Beautiful sight- crystal clear blue/green water (the thawed section, anyway) surrounded by wildflowers, evergreen trees, and fun-looking peaks.
America?
America?
We ignored both Beckey and Goldman and took a route to the right along the east side of the lake. Very straight forward and soon we were scrambling/kick-stepping up the mostly-snow-covered-ridge.
kicking steps in tennis shoes
kicking steps in tennis shoes
We wished our ice axes weren't sitting safely in the trunk of my car. And that I hadn't worn my keen sandals. At least the snow felt good since it was so warm out! We arrived at the top of Labyrinth Mtn two hours after we left the TH. Fantastic views in every direction! I wish Sadie's driver & friends could've seen these views a week or so earlier. Snow-capped mountain peaks, high alpine meadows, lush forests and hidden valleys stretched in every direction. And not another soul in sight (not that a friendly face would be a bad thing but you know...).
Looking south
Looking south
Looking west
Looking west
Looking north (Sloan Peak, I think?)
Looking north (Sloan Peak, I think?)
timer shot
timer shot
Unfortunately, once again we were on a schedule. After eating a quick lunch, taking pictures, and being bitten by more mosquitoes, we started down. It was a fun mix of butt/feet glissading and running.
Lake Wenatchee in the distance?
Lake Wenatchee in the distance?
feet skiing
feet skiing
Stuart in the distance
Stuart in the distance
Down to the lake in no time despite my frequent "wait - I have to take another picture!"
Stuart above Minotaur Lake
Stuart above Minotaur Lake
living dangerously
living dangerously
beautiful and cold!
beautiful and cold!
This is a place I would LOVE to come back to and bring a book to lie in the sun and read. It felt a bit fairy-tailish (I'm sure the names Labyrinth Mtn and Minotaur Lake have nothing to do with that). Even though we were in a hurry, it was too beautiful and warm to pass up jumping in. I had even packed in my swimsuit. Becky graciously waited as I jumped in and jumped back out (I was in the water for a grand total of 5 seconds - cold!).
post jumping in (teeth chattering)
post jumping in (teeth chattering)
Then I was ready for the dusty, steep hike back to the car.
Minotaur's outlet stream
Minotaur's outlet stream
stop and smell the flower
stop and smell the flower
can you read that?
can you read that?
alpine meadows - summer is finally here!
alpine meadows - summer is finally here!
Lovely day to be in the mountains and even better to be there with Becky. I think I've discovered a new favorite short hike!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
reststep

reststep
PostSat Aug 06, 2011 6:12 pm 
Thanks for the report and pictures. It looks like a beautiful place. Were any campsites melted out at the lake? Were you able to take the Smithbrook Road? Thanks

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Aug 06, 2011 7:40 pm 
Great pics. Thanks. An incredible amount of snow for August.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostSat Aug 06, 2011 9:13 pm 
I came over Smithbrook from Little Wenatchee trailhead last weekend and the road is clear. Only part I saw snow at was right alongside the road above the Janice TH.

lovetowonder

lovetowonder
PostSat Aug 06, 2011 9:32 pm 
Yes, there were at least a couple of campsites melted out on the east side of the lake. Smithbrook Road was fine. There was one small ditch/"wash out" spot that even my car could get past. You're right - it's a beautiful area!

tigermn

tigermn
PostSat Aug 06, 2011 9:36 pm 
So I wonder if they fixed the washout on Smithbrook someone previously reported, or if they overstated the severity of it.

lovetowonder

lovetowonder
PostSat Aug 06, 2011 9:39 pm 
There wasn't any spot along the road that looked freshly washed out (or freshly fixed). I wasn't looking for it, though, and could've missed it.